Thread: Space Naming Using Rooms from More Than One Linked Model

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    08:19 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Space Naming Using Rooms from More Than One Linked Model

I'm still trying to figure out the "best practice" method for showing Room Names/Numbers linked from an Architectural or Interior model.

Most of what I've seen online seems to indicate that it's best for MEP contractors to automatically generate spaces, then use the Space Naming utility to grab the room names from the Architectural model. This worked for me on another project, but the current project I'm working on is set up a little differently.

I have an Architectural file with rooms. I also have an Interior file with rooms. Some of the rooms exist in both the Architectural AND the Interior models. My issue is: when I use the Space Naming utility, I am getting room names and numbers from the Architectural model where I instead need them from the Interior model. See below for an example:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	39051

This is my model after automatically generating spaces, using Space Naming to grab the room names, then tagging all the spaces. I have a lot of offices with the same room numbers, but they should look like this:

Name:	2.png 
Views:	11 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	39052

This is the Architectural model (with the Interior model linked and set as room-bounding).

Is there a way to automatically set names for spaces based on a specific linked model?

If I don't need to utilize spaces for HVAC calculations, am I better off using Room Tags and just tagging the rooms from the linked models?

2.    #2
    Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time
    05:19 PM

Consider having the interiors team/model use spaces too so all disciplines are basing their spaces on one set of rooms.

3.    #3
    Current Local Time

Unfortunately I don't have the authority to dictate their workflow... I ended up manually renaming each room/number and it was tedious. Now I'm on the level above and nearly EVERY space is named "Elevator Lobby"! I have to be doing something wrong but I can't figure out what. There's no way I'm going to rename every single space on this level.

Name:	3.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	213.3 KB 
ID:	39053

Here's my checklist:
    - Both the Architectural linked model and the Interior linked model are set to room-bounding
    - I've tried using the level above as the upper limit and I have tried using the associated level with an 8' offset as the upper limit when automatically placing spaces
    - I've tried adjusting the computational height of the level, then automatically placing the spaces. I get the same results when using both a 2" computational height and a 4' computational height (4' is the cut plane height of my floor plan view)
    - I checked the phase mapping for both the Architectural and Interior linked models and they seem to be correct - Existing to Existing and New Construction to New Construction

Does anyone have any other suggestions to fix this issue? I don't understand why some spaces have the correct name while others can't.

Edit: Maybe my issue has something to do with the rooms within the linked model being part of design options. I selected a lot of the rooms on the floors that are giving me issues and they aren't part of the Main Model, they are part of different design options. I read about spaces not being able to be created within design options, but the spaces are created without issue. Their shape matches the rooms within the linked models, I just can't bring the room names/numbers over from the linked models.

I'm just going to give up on this exercise at this point. I was mainly doing this to make work easier for myself but it seems to just be a waste of time.
    Last edited by JWF92; June 26th, 2020 at 07:55 PM.

4.    #4
    Current Local Time
    05:19 PM

Spaces do not inherit room names from rooms that were created in design options. I've been there, and it's frustrating. There's not really much to do with it unless you want to rig up a Dynamo script, or do it manually. Even though I believe in Spaces and use them extensively in some of my MEP workflows, I keep a Room Tag in my file exactly for this sort of thing. Tag All Not Tagged -> Rooms -> Include Elements in Linked Files -> Apply -> Done. To be fair, I don't know exactly if that works with Design Options either; they're finicky at the best of times.

5.    #5
    Current Local Time

Thank you for the clarification. Yeah, I may just end up tagging the rooms in the linked file. At least then I'll be able to see which rooms I'm working in.

I figured out why all of the rooms have "Elevator Lobby" as the name. The 3rd floor of the linked Architectural model has one big room called "Elevator Lobby." This must be where the Space Naming tool is getting its room names from. The 3rd floor of the linked Interior model has a bunch of smaller office rooms. If I could somehow get Revit to read the room names from the linked Interior model rather than the Architectural model, I think it would work. I don't think it's possible to selectively specify which linked, room-bounding model to pull the names from, though.