Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Computers slow in Revit

Current Local Time
    08:04 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Unhappy Computers slow in Revit

You guys might have seen my post in the benchmark threads. I keep getting very bad results from my systems. To sum this up:

Model creation benchmark:
    I7 9700k; 150 seconds (2019) 180 seconds (2020.2)
    I5 6500; 120 seconds (2019)
    Ryzen 5 2600; 290 seconds (2020.2)

The only computer that seems to perform normally is my I5 6500 machine. The rest is just terrible slow in the Revit benchmark .
    Not sure were this comes from, things i have thought about are:
    - All computers are running windows 10 education, maybe windows 10 pro improves performance in Revit?
    - Resolution, but i tested this further and it did not change anything.
    - Any wrong settings in windows or bios, checked but could not find anything that should improve performance.
    - Built all these 3 systems myself, can not think of anything that has gone wrong.
    - Revit version, heard from someone else that Revit updates can change performance (2020 > 2020.1 > 2020.2) but i have yet to confirm this.
    - All systems are well built and have adequate cooling, thermal throttling should be out of the question.
    - Windows version, i have not noticed any changes on 1 machine after a generic windows update.

This problem has been bugging me for quite some time now, i just want to know whats wrong with my computers. Not sure if anyone here has had this problem before.

I hope someone here has any idea

Here the full specs of my systems:
    CPU I7 9700k @ 3,6 Ghz > 4,9 Ghz, 8 cores 8 threads
    CPU cooler Noctua NH U12A
    Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming
    RAM 2x16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 Mhz
    GPU MSI GTX 980ti Gaming G6
    PSU Corsair CX series CX750
    Storage Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 80mm
    Netwerk n.v.t.
    Case Corsair Graphite 230T Black Window

CPU i5 6500 @ 3,2 Ghz, 4 cores 4 threads
    CPU cooler Scythe Katana 4
    Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P
    RAM 2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400 Mhz
    GPU MSI GeForce GTX 1650 AERO ITX 4G OC
    PSU Corsair CXM 550W
    Storage WD 250Gb M.2 SSD + Toshiba 7200 RPM 1tb hdd
    Netwerk Asus PCE-N15 300N wifi
    Case Corsair Carbide Series 270R Window

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 2600 @ 3,4 Ghz > 3,9Ghz, 6 cores 12 threads
    CPU cooler AMD Wraith Stealth Cooler
    Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4 Micro-ATX
    RAM 2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz
    GPU Gigabyte GTX 1650 OC 4G
    PSU Seasonic Focus GX-550
    Storage Samsung 970 EVO 500GB
    Netwerk
    Case Fractal Design Mini C

Current Local Time

Turning Hyperthreating off can give a better score, but i think your problem is somewhere else because the scores are really bad.

Current Local Time
    01:04 PM

I thought i mentioned it in another thread, but i would be checking (and rechecking) the drivers on your Hard Drives. I had an older cheap machine that ran absolutely HORRIBLY, because it was using some generic driver for the HD instead of the driver Samsung provides. I dont recall exactly what the issue was, but when i changed that driver, i had to reimage that machine, too. Then the number basically dropped in half.

But the 9700k isnt missing something small, its missing something big. Those numbers are WAY off.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    I thought i mentioned it in another thread, but i would be checking (and rechecking) the drivers on your Hard Drives. I had an older cheap machine that ran absolutely HORRIBLY, because it was using some generic driver for the HD instead of the driver Samsung provides. I dont recall exactly what the issue was, but when i changed that driver, i had to reimage that machine, too. Then the number basically dropped in half.

But the 9700k isnt missing something small, its missing something big. Those numbers are WAY off.
    I might take a look at the drivers, never really looked into the drivers for my ssd's. Just hope i dont have to reimage the pc. I need my computer for work pretty much every day, since i'm working from home right now. (i work from home on my own computer). The installation instructions dont mention an image, so i hope for the best.

The only computer that is performing as it should i my i5 system. Which indeed could suggest something with the drive. that machine is running an ssd that i took out of a broken HP laptop at work. That drive does around 1000-1500mbit read/write. Both other pc's are running 970 evo's.

Yes the i7 9700k is way off. When i did this test it was going 4.9GH on all cores. I can overclock it to 5.1GHz stable, but i think the performance gains in this scenario are marginal.

Edit:
    did the benchmark, got 158 seconds as a result, improved a bit i think, but not as much as i hoped.
    It also keeps reading the wrong resolution, this benchmark was done at 3840x2160 @ 60Hz

Code:
    RVT 2020 - Full_Simplified set - 2020.07.07 @ 08.42.33 on DESKTOP-BTBA2SD.txt
        RFO Benchmark v3.2 (build 19.08.2019)
        RevitForum.org

All times are in seconds, lower is better.

Run on Revit 2020 FCS

31.98   creating a group of walls and doors
       59.86   modifying the group by adding a curtain wall
       14.74   creating the exterior curtain wall
        9.17   creating the sections
        6.52   changing the curtain wall panel type
       15.69   creating area plans
        1.82   creating and applying view template
      158.20   TOTAL

0.08   change view to Hidden
        0.35   change view to Shaded
        0.37   change view to Consistent Colors
        0.36   change view to Realistic
        0.75   refresh Wireframe Line view x10
        3.56   refresh Hidden Line view x10
        3.68   refresh Shaded view x10
        3.51   refresh Consistent Colors view x10
        4.38   refresh Realistic view x10
        0.41   activate View Cube view
        3.46   rotate view x1
       27.12   TOTAL

Notes:
        Graphics benchmark measures the entire graphics stack, which includes CPU and memory.
        To meaningfully compare graphics cards, test all cards in the same machine
        and use the 'Graphics - expanded' benchmark.

TEST CONDITIONS:

Number of Logical Processors: 8
    Total Physical Memory: 32GB @ 3200 3200Mhz

Last edited by Modderhoop; July 7th, 2020 at 08:08 AM.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Jansen View Post
    Turning Hyperthreating off can give a better score, but i think your problem is somewhere else because the scores are really bad.
    Yes in the Ryzen system that might improve it a bit. But im not sure how much the single core boost improves from turning SMT off. The Ryzen 2600 is running at stock speeds.

Current Local Time
    10:04 PM

Are there any new insights on this problem? Because It effects most stations I'm testing and It’s a huge Issue that costs a lot of time (=money)
    Before I contact AD support, I'd like to gather all the characteristics:

1. The issue rises only on stations with windows 10, 1803 update and above.
    2. The issue rises on:
      -new stations
      -old stations with a clean install of windows (I've tested 1909).
      -old stations after windows update
    3. After updating a station, sometimes the slow down happens only after some time: the benchmark could be fine when ran directly after win update, and a day later there is a drop down). BTW, I've found this 'delayed performance drop' mentioned by gamers also complaining about performance drops after windows updates.
    4. The issue rises on all Revit versions (I've tested 2019, 2020, 2021)
    5. The problem is not in the benchmark tool - The performance drops are very noticeable in day to day work.
    6. The issue does not affect render and graphic tests, only Model Creation and some of the Export benchmarks.
      A comparison of a typical problematic station before and after Win update(fresh install):

Model Creation:

• -changing the curtain wall panel type – x2.4 slower
    • -creating a group of walls and doors – x2.4 slower
    • -creating area plans – x1.5 slower
    • -creating and applying view template – x1.2 slower
    • -creating the exterior curtain wall – x1.7 slower
    • -creating the floors levels and grids – x1.4 slower
    • -creating the sections - x1.35 slower
    • -modifying the group by adding a curtain wall – x2.7 slower
    • -opening and loading the custom template – x2.8 slower

Update previous version file: - x2 slower
    Export:

• - DWF – x1.5 slower
    • - DWG – x2.3 slower

Modderhoop, am I missing anything else?

BTW, As Aaron mentioned, my guess now that its a problem with harddrive<->windows interaction. A CPU issue should have effected render too. The DWG export read/writes alot of tempory files to the harddrive - and its one of the most effected tests. Maby the other effected tests also read/write alot (to the journal files?). I guess a dev could quickly diagnose it.
    Last edited by bll.eliav; October 2nd, 2020 at 01:32 PM.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by bll.eliav View Post
    Are there any new insights on this problem? Because It effects most stations I'm testing and It’s a huge Issue that costs a lot of time (=money)
    Before I contact AD support, I'd like to gather all the characteristics:

1. The issue rises only on stations with windows 10, 1803 update and above.
    2. The issue rises on:
      -new stations
      -old stations with a clean install of windows (I've tested 1909).
      -old stations after windows update
    3. After updating a station, sometimes the slow down happens only after some time: the benchmark could be fine when ran directly after win update, and a day later there is a drop down). BTW, I've found this 'delayed performance drop' mentioned by gamers also complaining about performance drops after windows updates.
    4. The issue rises on all Revit versions (I've tested 2019, 2020, 2021)
    5. The problem is not in the benchmark tool - The performance drops are very noticeable in day to day work.
    6. The issue does not affect render and graphic tests, only Model Creation and some of the Export benchmarks.
      A comparison of a typical problematic station before and after Win update(fresh install):

Model Creation:

• -changing the curtain wall panel type – x2.4 slower
    • -creating a group of walls and doors – x2.4 slower
    • -creating area plans – x1.5 slower
    • -creating and applying view template – x1.2 slower
    • -creating the exterior curtain wall – x1.7 slower
    • -creating the floors levels and grids – x1.4 slower
    • -creating the sections - x1.35 slower
    • -modifying the group by adding a curtain wall – x2.7 slower
    • -opening and loading the custom template – x2.8 slower

Update previous version file: - x2 slower
    Export:

• - DWF – x1.5 slower
    • - DWG – x2.3 slower

Modderhoop, am I missing anything else?

BTW, As Aaron mentioned, my guess now that its a problem with harddrive<->windows interaction. A CPU issue should have effected render too. The DWG export read/writes alot of tempory files to the harddrive - and its one of the most effected tests. Maby the other effected tests also read/write alot (to the journal files?). I guess a dev could quickly diagnose it.
    My Rzyen 5 2600 system actually works fine now. I did a reinstall of windows, and installed SSD drivers and GPU studio drivers. After that it got a good score!

So re-installing windows and installing the SSD drivers might be the key here.
    See my new result with the R5 2600 here:
    https://revitforum.org/showthread.ph...l=1#post233443

Current Local Time

Thanks!
    did you reinstall windows via win 10 'reset this PC' tool or full format of the SSD?
    did you install the SSD drivers from the manufacture website after installing windows, or is it some kind of firmware prior to windows install?
    and the I7-9700K?

Until I have a solid solution, I don't have the justification to ask our IT for a resetting of stationsůand reinstalling windows by itself did not solve the problem on multiple stations.
    (and I just posted a another problematic benchmark result brand new station int the 2021 thread. SSD drivers were verified as genuine and up to date via Samsung Magician)

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by bll.eliav View Post
    Thanks!
    did you reinstall windows via win 10 'reset this PC' tool or full format of the SSD?
    did you install the SSD drivers from the manufacture website after installing windows, or is it some kind of firmware prior to windows install?
    and the I7-9700K?

Until I have a solid solution, I don't have the justification to ask our IT for a resetting of stations…and reinstalling windows by itself did not solve the problem on multiple stations.
    (and I just posted a another problematic benchmark result brand new station int the 2021 thread. SSD drivers were verified as genuine and up to date via Samsung Magician)
    Have you also tried running the full_simplified test? Thats where i got the better scores, the old ones in this thread where all made with the standard test.

Also yes i used the ''Reset this PC'' tool.
    After that i downloaded the SSD drivers from the manufacturer (Samsung in my case).

Regarding the i7 9700k, i did not do a windows reinstall on there, since i need to use this PC daily for working at home and other stuff, there is quite a lot of stuff on there i still need to acces daily, maybe when Covid is over and i can work at the office every day i will reset this system as well. My Ryzen 5 2600 system did not have that much stuff on it since its a secondairy system i only use for school work. So it was not as big of a deal to reset it.

Regarding the benchmark you posted:

I do not have acces to RVT 2021 yet, so i do not know how the performance is in there, and if the old problem might be back.
    Just curious though, why did you go with the i7 10700 non ''k''? These have way lower clock speeds compared to the ''k'' model, and the price difference is not that big.
    Last edited by Modderhoop; October 5th, 2020 at 07:07 AM.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Modderhoop View Post
    Have you also tried running the full simplified test? Thats where i got the better scores
    Well...my goal is not to get nice numbers.. but good performance in day to day work. If I wanted nice numbers, I would have ran just the graphics and rendering tests. Most of my time I'm doing plain architecture. The only reason I got into benchmarking&hardware is because of this terrible performance drop (and I learne some new things on the way)

I do not have acces to RVT 2021 yet, so i do not know how the performance is in there, and if the old problem might be back.
    Didn't see any difference between Revit version. a problematic station will get the performance drop on all versions. And a good one would get good results in all versions.

why did you go with the i7 10700 non ''k''? These have way lower clock speeds compared to the ''k'' model, and the price difference is not that big.
    The IT guy at my office builds the stations and didn't consult me. Anyway, this station is mostly for AutoCAD. I installed Revit only for the benchmarking.
    My goal is to have enough information to guide our IT person so when he assembles new stations they would be safe from this problem.