Thread: What I'm I doing wrong with my roof framing?

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    05:37 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

What I'm I doing wrong with my roof framing?

I'm framing this roof with the OOTB Howe truss family and after I layout the framing I attached the trusses to the underside of the roof to get the profile I wanted. So far so good.

Then I switched to a section view to unpin the top chord member of each of the trusses to extend it to make an overhang (let me know if there is a better / faster way to do this) but so far everything is good and the framing is the way I want it.

Now back in plan view, with my detail level set to Medium or Fine, the roof overhangs looks good, but when I switch the Detail level to Coarse, which will be my final printing output, the overhangs disappear. How do I get my overhangs to so show up in Coarse detail view?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Overhang at Medium Detail View.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	12.1 KB 
ID:	39091 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Overhang at Coarse Detail View.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	8.4 KB 
ID:	39092 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Overhang 3D View.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	39093
    Last edited by natedj; July 8th, 2020 at 09:30 PM.

2.    #2
    Current Local Time
    03:37 AM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Then I switched to a section view to unpin the top chord member of each of the trusses to extend it to make an overhang (let me know if there is a better / faster way to do this) but so far everything is good and the framing is the way I want it.
    In the case of large number of such trusses, it is better to make a truss with a parametric overhung.

How do I get my overhangs to so show up in Coarse detail view?
    This happens because in the beam family the Symbolic Representation parameter is set to From Project. Change it to From Family, and add the model line in the center with the ends constrained to the Member Left / Right ref planes. The line Subcategory = Stick Symbols, Detail Level = Coarse.

ps: Best option, imho, is to show a true 3d projection, instead of legacy one line representation.
    Last edited by Nurlan; July 9th, 2020 at 05:28 AM.

3.    #3
    Current Local Time
    05:37 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Thanks for your response Nurlan. I still consider myself a newbie to Revit so I had to google some of the terms you used to fully understand what you said. So if I understand what you're saying, even though I change the Symbolic representation parameter from "From project" to "From Family" I'll still have to draw model lines with constraints to achieve what I'm looking for.

If that's correct, I agree with you on just leaving my Detail Level as Medium or Fine, but the company I work for has some standards that they're accustom too.

Can you elaborate or point me to where I can get guidance on creating a Truss with a parametric overhang? Thanks