Thread: BIM 360: When are Links updated?

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    11:49 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

BIM 360: When are Links updated?

We're using the "Live Linking" process where both models are being hosted/edited in BIM 360 and are Linked in to the actual (not Published) model.
    Can someone confirm my experiment on when the updates from a Link appear in my model?
    • SWC: No updates
    • Reload Link: no updates
    • "Reload From" Link: no updates
    • Close and open mode: updates appear

In other words, the only way I have found to see the changes made to a Link is if I close my model and open it again.
    Is there any other process to see the Links update?

2.    #2
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    We're using the "Live Linking" process where both models are being hosted/edited in BIM 360 and are Linked in to the actual (not Published) model.
    Can someone confirm my experiment on when the updates from a Link appear in my model?
    • SWC: No updates
    • Reload Link: no updates
    • "Reload From" Link: no updates
    • Close and open mode: updates appear

In other words, the only way I have found to see the changes made to a Link is if I close my model and open it again.
    Is there any other process to see the Links update?
    I definitely see updates when i use Reload or Reload From. We specifically do this all the time, in our Live Linked Reconcil projects. Sometimes we do it minute to minute on the phone with our consultants, so im reasonably sure im not imagining it.

3.    #3
    Current Local Time

That's what I expected, but not what I saw in a test.
    Is it possible that's because it was me making changes to both models?

4.    #4
    Current Local Time

I cant say, with 100% certainty. Is it possible your changes werent fully pushed up to BIM360 when you did the reload?

I frequently even have two models from the same BIM360 project opened at the same time, but i do it in two different sessions. And i can finish a sync in one, then go Reload Link in the other, and see the changes right away. I do that when i need to edit Arch and Struct at the same time, on our projects.

5.    #5
    Current Local Time

I can't explain what was going on yesterday, but I've run the testing again today, and things are working as expected.
    SWC does not update the Links, but Reload (either Reload or Reload From) does update them.

6.    #6
    Current Local Time

Assuming you are using the live-link method for all Revit links; If a Revit link is on a closed workset, and then that workset is opened, it appears that the linked model is NOT reloaded.

Many of us specify worksets upon file opening, often closing many of the unneeded linked model worksets and loading them into memory as needed. It appears to me that if a linked model is on a workset that is CLOSED during file open via the specify workset menu, the linked model is NOT automatically reloaded during file opening. Once the workset is opened in the Revit session, the linked model is outdated. Can anyone confirm they are seeing the same?

This has led to some confusion for our consultants, who keep all Revit link worksets closed during file open as a standard practice.
    Last edited by zsmith3; July 27th, 2020 at 11:40 PM.

7.    #7
    Current Local Time
    04:49 PM

Quote Originally Posted by zsmith3 View Post
    Assuming you are using the live-link method for all Revit links; If a Revit link is on a closed workset, and then that workset is opened, it appears that the linked model is NOT reloaded.
    Correct, turning on worksets does not reload the underlying Revit model.

Many of us specify worksets upon file opening, often closing many of the unneeded linked model worksets and loading them into memory as needed. It appears to me that if a linked model is on a workset that is CLOSED during file open via the specify workset menu, the linked model is NOT automatically reloaded during file opening. Once the workset is opened in the Revit session, the linked model is outdated. Can anyone confirm they are seeing the same?
    Correct, I can confirm. We saw this behavior on a complex multi team renovation project with multiple teams linking in several files from various worksets. If the workset is off in the model when you open it, Revit doesn't load that information at all. Turning on the workset doesn't force Revit to reload the underlying linked model. You have to then Reload the linked model (or sync/save/close/open/etc) to get Revit to reload the links.

This has led to some confusion for our consultants, who keep all Revit link worksets closed during file open as a standard practice.
    IMO that's an interesting workflow. Why would you keep all worksets turned off as a standard practice?

8.    #8
    Current Local Time

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MPS_DWarren View Post
    IMO that's an interesting workflow. Why would you keep all worksets turned off as a standard practice?
    These are just instructions I read on the consultant's Starting View project page, not something that my firm does as a rule. We do, however, close a lot of the Linked Model worksets that we don't need to speed up file opening times, so it's good to know that they are not reloaded in that case. Because of this, we have started opening ALL worksets when preparing to print for construction packages, to ensure everything gets reloaded at once.