Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Dynamo harvest Scope Box points/rotation?

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    03:00 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Can Dynamo harvest Scope Box points/rotation?

I've got a complex campus project, with different design wings at a variety of orientations to True North. All in one file, so SCOPE BOXES are used extensively to crop views consistently, and to rotate those viewports to an orthogonal position on sheets.

Issue is our Consultants are having issues with matching our rotations, and even though we can have them copy/paste the SCOPE BOXES themselves, the rotation appears to be non-defined. We can't dimension the angle, we can't place reference planes to 'snap' to the corners of it.

I've read through several SCOPE BOX topic posts from the past, and it seems impossible to harvest data from them through the standard Revit interface, or from a variety of tools (Ideate Explorer and BIMLink were my first data extraction attempts).

Is Dynamo capable of extracting out points of Scope Boxes, and rotation to True North data from them?

iGracias!

2.    #2
    Current Local Time

Also, Scope Boxes apparently don't export to DWG, so I can't gather coordinate data from that method, either. Hopefully I'm just missing something, but this is getting frustrating!

3.    #3
    Current Local Time

I took a look at this: https://forum.dynamobim.com/t/scope-box-location/13200
    Which would create a bounding box for a selected Scope box, however as the discussion notes, rotated scope boxes would risk having their corner points shifted, which is a NO GO for my situation.

4.    #4
    Current Local Time
    05:00 AM

Assign a floor plan view to each scope box, turn off annotation crop, set crop regions to be visible when printing or exporting, and export the views to DWG?

I've never tried that so I have no idea if it will work. If so,I'd be curious if it would work to export the parent view (assuming they are dependents) so you only had to export one?

Guessing on both counts, as I'm on my phone and not at a computer.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

5.    #5
    Current Local Time

Thanks, Aaron - not a bad idea at all.... I'll give that a go and see if that gives us what we need!

6.    #6
    Current Local Time

Well, not successful. There IS a setting to show/hide scope boxes (General), but even when setting it to show SBs, they didn't export.

I was able to print them showing to PDF, contemplating how to work with it from there... Vector PDF to Illustrator to DWG? ugh. But if it works, better than nothing...

7.    #7
    Current Local Time
    05:00 AM

So it does appear that you can extract the Geometry from the Scope Box, regardless of if its rotated. Then that can be broken down into its four lines. Or four points extracted from those lines.

Hope that gives you a start, if that is what you are after?

Bear in mind that will give you the Internal Coordinates. You would then be responsible for rotating per your true north.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scopebox.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	116.9 KB 
ID:	39128  
    Last edited by kraftwerk; July 16th, 2020 at 01:53 AM.

8.    #8
    Current Local Time
    12:00 PM

Yes, the lines and points seems to be easy. The question then becomes how to coordinate that into other files since Scope Boxes do not have any create methods associated with them. Maybe generate some lines or place some family at the corner points so other people can eyeball the location? Does not seem like a great solution.

Springs package has some easy Nodes for getting the Solid/Lines/Points.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scope.png 
Views:	11 
Size:	184.1 KB 
ID:	39129

9.    #9
    Current Local Time

Thanks for the screenshot, Kraftwerk - I went to Github to download that tool, looks like only 2017/2018 versions are available. I do think it would give me what I'm looking for, or at least the ability to use that data to construct a DWG layout. Will see what the installer gives me, and if I can use it in R2019.

10.    #10
    Current Local Time

Thanks, Bjorn - I'll see if I can use this process, if the LookUp tool isn't working for me - appreciate the reply!