Thread: Storefronts in Revit - Alternative methods for window systems

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    03:39 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Storefronts in Revit - Alternative methods for window systems

When it comes to creating window systems in Revit, (i.e. curtainwalls, storefronts etc.) what are people's preferred methods? My firm uses storefronts almost exclusively. I find them to be extremely finicky and not user friendly at all. Are there any good alternative methods, or standard tools that others use? I am not familiar with any other way and looking for other ways.

2.    #2
    Current Local Time

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    For storefront and curtainwall we use the curtainwall tool. For punched openings we'll use families, all of our windows are created as generic model families though not window families. I find the curtainwall tool to work pretty well. We just go groups for repeatable "types" then one version of the group is placed in our annotation phase to document it. That way we do not need to worry about the design changing and losing the documented storefront type.

3.    #3
    Current Local Time
    12:39 AM

Our method is similar to Rob's, with the exception of using window families for windows, not generic models. I know Aaron on this forum has raised the issues of using window families and the resultant cut plane display issues.... We just haven't gotten around to changing out the families to GM yet. But for punched openings, i would not use the curtain wall tool. I also prefer separating them out for scheduling purposes, especially considering that windows may be sourced differently from the storefronts.

Regarding the "finicky" nature of curtain walls? I have not had this issue. Is there is something specific that you find difficult? The tool works well for me too, as long as you understand what it likes and what it doesn't like.

Jon

4.    #4
    Current Local Time
    01:39 AM

This is basically a repeat of what pivoarch and kingjosiah have already said, just stated differently: For windows that are used repeatedly around a building, I prefer families (Generic Model or Window ... I'm still exploring which works better for us). It's easier to adjust unit sizes and control several at a time.

For main entrances and other feature glazing conditions, then I'll use the curtainwall tool. It's less finicky if the base is at the floor or equal to the base of the wall. I will sometimes "disjoin" the ends so that it doesn't cleanup with the centerline of interior intersecting walls, which also decreases the "finicky" issues.

5.    #5
    Current Local Time

Just another vote for window families over curtain wall / storefront for any repeatative opening. Much easier to tag, schedule and add trims too. Storefront for windows in my opinion is an awful workflow. Easy for designers but if they don't group them and copy them around but just copy them around then they can't change them easily. And if they forget to set the ends not to join they will stretch even when in groups and you'll get different sizes.

6.    #6
    Current Local Time
    01:39 AM

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    A good set of mullion profiles will make the storefronts sing in curtain walls. Not to mention some curtain wall doors.

Repetitive openings... Windows/GM families (never tried GM's for windows yet).

One off openings... curtain wall all day.