Thread: Revit 2019.2 Can't load families

Current Local Time
    06:50 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Revit 2019.2 Can't load families

Something happened to my revit 2019 recently that is extremely odd. last week, I edited a family, no problem. This week when I try to load any family into a project revit fatal errors and closes. If I open a family in the family editor and try to change any parameters it throws constraint errors. I've tried multiple families, multiple projects, projects with no template, etc. All works fine in 2020 but revit 2019 seems hosed. So I ran the repair, that didn't work so I ran the reinstall. What steps would be next?

This is the version installed
    20190808_0900(x64)

Under add remove programs it shows revit 2019 twice which is odd, one I can't do anything with. See attached image. Note I recently ran the latest hotfix for 2019, but I did that to try to solve this problem.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	revit2019.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	39271

Current Local Time
    05:50 AM

I assume youve already tried all the real typical troubleshooting things, before you messed with repairing or reinstalling (both of which i would NEVER do unless it was a last resort):

1. Disable ALL third party addins. Does the problem still exist?
    2. Log in as a different user: Does the problem still exist?
    3. Temporarily replace/remove RoamingAppData Revit Folders. Does the problem still exist?
    4. Go in to the control panel of the machine, and sort by Date Last Updated. What was installed recently, or what changed on the machine recently?
    5. Did a Windows Update recently transpire?
    6. Did Revit 2019 have an unexpected crash recently?

FWIW, i wouldnt EVER use the Repair command. Or the uninstall/reinstall. I would literally get the machine reimaged and start over, before id bother with that.

Current Local Time

#1 I haven't tried
    #2 Works. Ie if I log in as my bsa account revit works fine on my machine. does that tell you something?
    #3 When you say replace/remove, do I just move it do a diff location and re open?
    #4 Bitlocker drive encrypiton was recently installed, but everyone got that and I'm the only one have issues(as always
    #5 no windows update since 6/11
    #6 Hard to answer, its been crashing anytime I load in a family, but I can't recall a specific recent crash that was out of the ordinary.

I'll try 1 and 3 and see what happens. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time
    03:50 AM

THIS KB at Adsk says disable add-ins like Aaron suggests.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by sdbrownaia View Post
    #1 I haven't tried
    #2 Works. Ie if I log in as my bsa account revit works fine on my machine. does that tell you something?
    #3 When you say replace/remove, do I just move it do a diff location and re open?
    #4 Bitlocker drive encrypiton was recently installed, but everyone got that and I'm the only one have issues(as always
    #5 no windows update since 6/11
    #6 Hard to answer, its been crashing anytime I load in a family, but I can't recall a specific recent crash that was out of the ordinary.

I'll try 1 and 3 and see what happens. Thanks for all the suggestions!

#2 tells you a TON. If you can get it to work fine logged in as ANY other user, there is NOTHING wrong with the Revit Install itself: Its something within your user profile. That means something in AppData for your account, or something in HKCU (in the registry) when you are logged in. When you are logged in as someone else, HKCU is swapped out for that users profile. But that means if you wipe out all of your Local Files, all of your Revit 2019 settings files, your INI, you UIstates, your entire Profile... and let it rebuild, it should be okay.

You SHOULDNT have any 3rd party apps installed on the USER side of the machine (but it wouldnt surprise me if that was happening now). But if you do, remove them ASAP, and see if the problems gets better.

Current Local Time

I've tried removing all addins(but they are found in so many different locations). And that didn't help. But I may have missed some. When you say profile, do you think IT has to rebuild my profile or just profile related to revit? When you say local files, you don't mean revit project local files, just local settings files right?

3rd party apps installed on the USER side? that would mean they exist in "roaming". ie Enscape and pig and unifi and pyrevit all get shown(have folders or dll) in roaming. I'll try removing them again, but it didn't seem to help and I think I got them all as none showed up in the tool bar. There seems to be add in stuff scattered all over the place. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	39280

Current Local Time

Yeah, addins are installed in 6 possible locations:

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Revit 2021\AddIns
    C:\Program Files\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins
    C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins
    C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Revit\Addins
    C:\Users\aaronmaller\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\Appl icationPlugins
    C:\Users\aaronmaller\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\Revi t\Addins

The manifests for them are in:

C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Revit\Addins
    C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\Revit\A ddins

If its an addin causing the issue, itll be a manifest that’s in the second location, since its ONLY running for you as a user. Where the addin is installed… who knows. The manifest will tell you though. EDIT: If the addin is in Appdata ApplicationPlugins, you might not find a manifest in the manifest folder, either.

8.    #8
    Current Local Time

Just to update you all. So far nothing has worked. Autodesk has now gotten involved and we were able to show them the issue via zoom. We've removed all the add-ins both roaming and non and used the collection utility to show whats going on both with and without add ins. I'll let you know if we find a solution.