Thread: Curtain wall border Mullion - Dimension to centerline

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    06:15 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Curtain wall border Mullion - Dimension to centerline

I am working on a window schedule where we have created various storefront and curtain wall systems with the standard system mullion profiles. The mullions in the middle of the storefront have a center-line that you can snap to when you want to dimension the drawings but the border mullions somehow lose this center snap and I cannot dimension to them, the only option is to snap to the outside end. I want to be able to also dimension to the center-line of the border mullions as well. I tried creating a custom mullion profile using the standard procedure to add a center snap to the profile, but to no avail.

What are my options? I could use detail lines and snap to them, but I want to avoid detail items at all costs.

2.    #2
    Current Local Time
    03:15 AM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Custom mullions are your solution, but the trick is that you need to introduce a split in the line in your mullion profile. Advantage: you can dimension to the center. Disadvantage: you will see a visible line in your elevations. You can always Linework <Invisible> to hide that line, but it's a 'pick your poison' proposition.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mullion Split.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	39323  
    Last edited by kingjosiah; August 29th, 2020 at 09:04 AM.

3.    #3
    "I am NOT a Revit tutor!"
    Current Local Time

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Out of curiosity, why do you want to dimension to the center line of a perimeter jamb of a curtain wall system? This dimensional reference is not used by anyone in the glazing industry, be it detailers, fabricators, manufacturers, etc. Module dimensions are always center line of intermediate mullions/horizontals to outside of perimeters (heads, sills, or jambs).

4.    #4
    Current Local Time

Cause Design my friend. Deeesign

5.    #5
    Current Local Time
    05:15 AM

Quote Originally Posted by GMcDowellJr View Post
    Cause Design my friend. Deeesign
    Have to disagree, there. I work with a TON of Designers. Ive only met a few who didnt understand the basics of how Glazing Systems get dimensioned. The majority of them *get it.*

But if you must have it: Split the lines on the BACK side of the profile. Place dims in Wireframe mode.

6.    #6
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    ....But if you must have it: Split the lines on the BACK side of the profile. Place dims in Wireframe mode.
    Nice! Didn't think of that. But like you, i wouldn't dimension that way either.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Jones View Post
    Out of curiosity, why do you want to dimension to the center line of a perimeter jamb of a curtain wall system? This dimensional reference is not used by anyone in the glazing industry, be it detailers, fabricators, manufacturers, etc. Module dimensions are always center line of intermediate mullions/horizontals to outside of perimeters (heads, sills, or jambs).
    That ^ !

Dave, i dimension as you explain above, but I understand why designers want to dimension as requested by the OP. As a response to those who want to convey equal size glazing panels, is there a convention that curtain wall/storefront detailers prefer to use? My guess is that it would be the overall dimension, and a nested one from outside of border mullions to CL of intermediates, with a note "EQ. PANELS", or something of the like. I regret that I don't have a set of shops handy to check, nor have looked into that level of minutia as the shops generally met the design intent.

Jon

7.    #7
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by kingjosiah View Post
    Dave, i dimension as you explain above, but I understand why designers want to dimension as requested by the OP. As a response to those who want to convey equal size glazing panels, is there a convention that curtain wall/storefront detailers prefer to use? My guess is that it would be the overall dimension, and a nested one from outside of border mullions to CL of intermediates, with a note "EQ. PANELS", or something of the like. I regret that I don't have a set of shops handy to check, nor have looked into that level of minutia as the shops generally met the design intent.
    Jon
    In my experience generally total modules x width are not equal. Normal is equal modules between grid lines and what is left over on each side. Not an issue to make all equal mods but mullions centered on grid lines makes it easy for all trades to align joints, railing balusters, etc. Example: Edit, not a great example based on my description as obviously for this project the center of modules align with grids. You get the idea though...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Curtain Wall Dims.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	39324  
    Last edited by Dave Jones; August 30th, 2020 at 02:09 PM.

8.    #8
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Jones View Post
    In my experience generally total modules x width are not equal. Normal is equal modules between grid lines and what is left over on each side. Not an issue to make all equal mods but mullions centered on grid lines makes it easy for all trades to align joints, railing balusters, etc. Example: Edit, not a great example based on my description as obviously for this project the center of modules align with grids. You get the idea though...
    What does the MD mean on that dimension string?

9.    #9
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by GMcDowellJr View Post
    What does the MD mean on that dimension string?
    MD = Module Dimension = center line to center line of intermediate members or center line of intermediate member to outside edge of perimeter members

10.    #10
    Current Local Time

DLO. Daylight Opening! That was the term i was trying to remember. So it sounds like a consistent panel size for all panels, including the ends is not that critical from an economy standpoint? Guess that makes sense since the glazier is cutting all sheets to size per project.

Anyway, thanks for the example above, Dave.