Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Office Standards -Line Styles

1.    #11
    Current Local Time
    03:46 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    How do you avoid the situation where with overlapping lines the higher Revit Lineweight number gets used and not the thickest line?

I usually to only go Thin --> Thick in the LW table for that reason.

Or is that situation only the VV --> Override Host Layers/Cut Line Styles and you're not using that?

2.    #12
    Current Local Time
    08:46 PM

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjorn_K View Post
    How do you avoid the situation where with overlapping lines the higher Revit Lineweight number gets used and not the thickest line?

I usually to only go Thin --> Thick in the LW table for that reason.

Or is that situation only the VV --> Override Host Layers/Cut Line Styles and you're not using that?
    1. It shouldnt (theoretically) be an issue: There are only two reasons things would be in the 12-16 "no scaling" range:

1a. They are intended to emulate Annotations (like the Break Line) at which point we generally want them to dominate the overlap, regardless.
    1b. The entire view is set to non-scaling lineweights, at which point it doesnt matter as everything is in the 12-16 range.

I cant think of a use case where one modeled object would be non scaling, but all the others would be scaling, for instance. Thats just weird.

2. As much as i hate to say this because it rubs architects the wrong way... I care about lineweights, right up until getting them 'better' becomes an inconvenience. I think our lineweights look much better than most, and every time we tweak them i like them more and more. But, i also believe (contrary to many in the industry) that lineweights dont serve as much purpose as a lot of folks thing or claim that they do. Especially considering the amount of time GC's and Subs spend looking at PDF's with Lineweights disabled.

We take the time to refine the LW and OS tables because we care, but worrying about overlapping lines and how Revit handles them? No. Worrying about Edit Cut Profile having whacky lineweights compared to the OS's of the objects? No. Worrying about "silhouetting Elevations?" No.

Simply put: I dont think its an important problem, so i dont do ANYTHING about it, other than what i was already doing beforehand.

3.    #13
    Current Local Time

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Every time I read a discussion like this, I have to laugh about when we were first implementing Revit.
    We got a lot of complaints that the Revit drawings look "too flat" and that we "need more Line weights"
    At that time we were basically using 5 weights.
    So I went back and looked at at our AutoCAD weights.
    We never had more than 3 line weights in AutoCAD.

4.    #14
    Current Local Time
    03:46 AM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Thanks Aaron, cannot agree more. I might actually be more militant here in trying to get people more focused on the model output instead of spending hours to get the line "just right".

Just wondering how you were handling that overlap quirk.

5.    #15
    Current Local Time
    05:46 PM

Aaron--

Thank you for sharing your updated thinking on this topic in relation to the OG How to Build a Template thread! Always interested in how people's thoughts have evolved over the years...

At my last firm, when I was working on the template (before and after Michael Patrick...) I was more concerned about how we modeled stuff and getting content from the model while all management cared about was how things looked on paper.

-Travis
    Last edited by tidalwave1; September 11th, 2020 at 06:55 PM.

6.    #16
    Current Local Time

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by tidalwave1 View Post
    Aaron--

Thank you for sharing your updated thinking on this topic in relation to the OG How to Build a Template thread! Always interested in how people's thoughts have evolved over the years...

At my last firm, when I was working on the template (before and after Michael Patrick...) I was more concerned about how we modeled stuff and getting content from the model while all management cared about was how things looked on paper.

-Travis
    Very welcome, Travis! Im going to update the post above, as well. The Lineweight table i posted earlier, ended up being our 1/4" Lineweights, not our 1/8". We softened the 1/8" ones a bit. We have the entire table redone now, ill post it soon.

7.    #17
    Current Local Time

7 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    So, i never got around to updating the post above.

These still arent perfect, nor is this a 100% representation of all of the PRLX stuff, since this project had a bunch of unique circumstances that went in to the creation of the model. But, it was close enough in that most of the basics were modeled from a PRLX variant of the template. So then we detached, and created a bunch of copies of views at the different scales, and started working through the Lineweights. Also (obviously) these arent all real views, nor are these our view names, sheet numbers, or the like. We butchered these, specifically for this test.

We dont have any Physical Large Format Printers, so thus far its all based on review of PDF. Of course, if you zoom in at 1/16, 1/32, etc, in Bluebeam, stuff looks muddy. But if you do View > Zoom > Actual Size, they look (more or less) how we want them.

[COLOR=#ff0000]For what its worth, there is an entire discussion that can be had about the logic Revit uses, for Lineweights, vs "traditional schooling" on what Lineweights should be. [/COLOR]For instance, the idea of "Profile" lines being darkest, versus "all cut objects." If you want to do "old school" profiling lines the darkest, it makes sense to have all cut lines reasonably light, and then to actually either LW tool (or just draft with detail lines) to get Profile Lines. But... i dont subscribe to the "old school profiling" thing, because... well... its stupid.

Apologies if you are in the camp that finds that offensive, but its not worth ANY additional time or money, because it doesnt add value to the built work. Sure, it adds value if you are making an art piece, but dont @ me if you think con docs are art pieces... we simply dont agree.

The logic behind our set up is pretty simple.

1. We established a simple A/B hierarchy (things that are slightly lighter vs things that are slightly darker).
    2. We established a rough value for the "difference" between Cut and Project (a difference of 3).
    3. We decided to have 5 basic lineweights.

What we "call" Lines 1/2/3/4/5, are- of course- actually 3/4/5/6/7, because of the reserved values for hatches.

So objects in Projection are a 3 or 4.
    The objects in Cut are a 6 or 7.

5 exists to provide some "gap" between those two sets of numbers, and then whats seen as 6/7/8/9 (which is really 8,9,10,11) exist, for diagrams, and some larger "line types" like Property Lines.

12/13/14/15/16 are the "Melissa Set" which are actually called ANNO 01, ANNO 02, ANNO 03, ANNO 04, and ANNO 05, instead of 01, 02, 03, 04, 05. Those are the ones that dont scale up or down, at all.

[COLOR=#ff0000]YMMV, on lineweights, and its certainly subject to interpretation. Note that these are just posted in case they help someone else get moving on their Lineweight journey. In no way are we asking for feedback, or suggestions, or opinions on the lineweights themselves. =)[/COLOR]

8.    #18
    Current Local Time
    04:46 AM

Twiceroadsfool,
    But how facades and sections looks with those settings tho?

9.    #19
    Current Local Time
    06:46 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    5 exists to provide some "gap" between those two sets of numbers
    I take it then you don't use 5?

10.    #20
    Current Local Time
    06:46 PM

Quote Originally Posted by cerb0z View Post
    Twiceroadsfool,
    But how facades and sections looks with those settings tho?
    I bet it looks just the way he wants them to! lol