Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grade my Hardware...

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    02:58 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Grade my Hardware...

Hi,

I'm looking to get a brand new computer system built - and I'd like some feedback. Mostly to see if I'm completely out to lunch, or if I'm on the right track. The amount of 'info' out there, for system "needs" and "wants" is overwhelming.....and I'd rather just get real people to judge me...haha.

I'm currently using Full AutoCad (Architecture) and Revit - both version 2015. I may have to upgrade....which means 'buying' back into the AutoDesk yearly tax.....but I suppose we'll see....

I'm looking at the following, as the main features of the system....

Processor - AMD Ryzen Threadripper - 3960X (likely on a TRX40 Motherboard, or equal)
    Video - Nvidia Quadro RTX 4000 (likely more than I need.....maybe a 2200 is enough??)
    HD - Samsung 970 Pro
    Ram - likely 64 gigs (yeah....I know, probably way more than I need....but it's not that expensive)

I don't buy brand new very often....so I try to LEAP as far ahead as possible (within reason), when I do upgrade. I don't have an unlimited budget, but I do believe in getting as much as I can....within reason....at the time.

So....thoughts??

2.    #2
    Current Local Time
    10:58 AM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I don't see ANY reason to get a 1500 dollar 24 core CPU or a 1000 dollar RTX4000 if all you do is Revit and AutoCAD.

Get yourself a i9 10900k for 1/3 of the price (and motherboards are a lot cheaper as well) and that will be faster then the 3960X and get a Nvidia 2080 Super or Ti if you have some money to spend (which you obviously do) or else get a 2070 or even a 2060 as those will work perfectly with Revit. If you are planning to do Enscape and such the 2070 is minimum I'd say.

To be honest if you are still on Revit 2015 I think an upgrade to 2021 will most likely give you more performance boost than the hardware
    Last edited by Robin Deurloo; September 3rd, 2020 at 06:01 PM.

3.    #3
    Current Local Time
    03:58 AM

What Robin said.

I wouldnt recommend any of that, except the 970 pro and the RAM.

Id get the fastest speed moderate core count you can get, and an RTX GeForce GPU.

Or, if you want to burn money, you can mail some to me, of course.

4.    #4
    Current Local Time

This is the wild thing about this decision....haha. I've looked in so many places, to see what's recommended. The systems you guys are recommending, seem like gamer setups. Which I have no interest in. No games!
    And I've generally observed a divide in the Cad World - with many suggesting the system I posted....and the the other 50% suggesting exacting what you guys are suggesting. But the vast majority of that second 50%, are gamers....as well as Cad techs. So they want to make sure their system can handle games.

I absolutely appreciate the info....and I will definitely take the advice! I just can't seem to wrap my head around all this conflicting info....that's EVERYWHERE...hahaha!!

Thanks fellas..

5.    #5
    Current Local Time

Thats the thing, a good gamer PC works very well with Revit.

Processor speed is the main thing, so that 10900K compared to your 3960X is about 0.8 Ghz. faster for 1/3 of the price, Revit does not do much with multiple cores, so from the 24 in the 3960X at least 20 will be doing nothing all the time. Not a hard choice if you ask me.

Revit does not do much with GPU's but if you gonna work with Enscape or any of the other real time render program's they are all based on a GAMING graphics engine and therefor work better with a gaming GPU then a professional GPU, like the Quadro 4000 you have on your list.

AND I have no games on my workstation installed, so that's not the issue either

6.    #6
    Current Local Time

The thing you should know is that Revit mainly uses just one core. So its no use to heave 20 if Revit only uses one.
    The limiting factor thus becomes Clock Speed. The higher the MHrz count the faster Revit will run.
    Revit will run faster on a A 8 core 5.0 MHrz processor than on a 3.5 MHz 20 core.

7.    #7
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle_Kat View Post
    This is the wild thing about this decision....haha. I've looked in so many places, to see what's recommended. The systems you guys are recommending, seem like gamer setups. Which I have no interest in. No games!
    And I've generally observed a divide in the Cad World - with many suggesting the system I posted....and the the other 50% suggesting exacting what you guys are suggesting. But the vast majority of that second 50%, are gamers....as well as Cad techs. So they want to make sure their system can handle games.

I absolutely appreciate the info....and I will definitely take the advice! I just can't seem to wrap my head around all this conflicting info....that's EVERYWHERE...hahaha!!

Thanks fellas..
    It has nothing to do with Games, or Gaming. The fact that gaming rigs and revit rigs have more specs in common than "workstation rigs" is solely because the hardware manufacturers keep bending over people who think they MUST by "Workstation" rigs because "gaming=bad."

Take the cost of an RTX GeForce 2070 GPU, and go buy the Quadro equivilent (cost wise, not size wise). In Revit/Enscape/Navisworks, the GeForce is going to absolutely smoke the Quadro. Then go buy a Xeon Processor, and benchmark it in Revit. Come back here and review benchmark scores of people with i5/i7/i9's, without even being overclocked. The non-Xeons are going to smoke the Xeons.

The only reason there is even *conflicting* information, is there are people out there still regurgitating what the manufacturers tell them, which isnt very smart.

I havent had a recreational game installed on one of my machines in fifteen years. But im sure this machine WOULD kick ass at gaming. Who cares? Its the best machine for Revit/Enscape/Navis, and thats why i bought it.

8.    #8
    Current Local Time

Again.... you fine folks have convinced me. Or rather, made me look deeper into the tech, and see for myself. I'm definitely going to request a i9 10900k. And a decent motherboard, to match.

But here's the next thought....

One of the computer guys I'm talking too (about putting together a system) had suggested a GeForce RTX 3080 - saying it would be out sometime in the next month, or so.
    Should I hold out for that particular video card? Or is the 2080 going to handling things well enough? Remember....we just saved a pile a money with the processor....hahaha....so I can use that for the video!

9.    #9
    Current Local Time

If you are talking about *only* for Revit, its like throwing money in a paper shredder. I have a 2080Ti, and for JUST revit its massive overkill. For Enscape, or Unreal, or Navisworks, or Twinmotion, its awesome, fwiw. The 2070 has been a great sweet spot. Day to day if i work on my machine with the 2080Ti and a machine with the 2070, i dont feel much (at all) of a difference.

I doubt i would spent the cash on a 3080 or 3090, unless i was doing a showcase build. And there is nothing wrong with getting it and just saying its *because i want it,* but at least own that thought, and dont say its "because i want it to be better," because it wont really be.

10.    #10
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    If you are talking about *only* for Revit, its like throwing money in a paper shredder. I have a 2080Ti, and for JUST revit its massive overkill. For Enscape, or Unreal, or Navisworks, or Twinmotion, its awesome, fwiw. The 2070 has been a great sweet spot. Day to day if i work on my machine with the 2080Ti and a machine with the 2070, i dont feel much (at all) of a difference.

I doubt i would spent the cash on a 3080 or 3090, unless i was doing a showcase build. And there is nothing wrong with getting it and just saying its *because i want it,* but at least own that thought, and dont say its "because i want it to be better," because it wont really be.
    Yeah, I hear ya with the "because I want it" statement...lol. For me, it's more a case of...."hrmm....I want to make sure I get what I'll 'need' now - but also have the horsepower for 'something' I may have down the road." I may look like I'm being frivolous with my cash. But I rarely spend money on upgrading a system, once it's in place. So in the end.....I likely spend WAY less on computers, than the average person.

I will likely just go with the 2080 Ti, and call it good.

And again....I appreciate the knowledge being tossed my way. The money I'll save on the system, will likely go towards getting back on the yearly 'AutoDesk Tax' Train. I'm starting to get pretty far behind in versions. And I'm seeing that writing on the wall. Just hate the new 'arrangement' with renting software....
    Last edited by Lyle_Kat; September 4th, 2020 at 08:26 PM.