Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Grade my Hardware...

Current Local Time
    08:57 AM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyle_Kat View Post
    Another little update...

As mentioned, custom computer building (in the great cold North) is not for those with little patience. And I'm definitely in that group. It's been a LONG wait...but my system is finally in place. All the components are as listed (above), with the exception of the video card. As crazy as it sounds, a 2070 was simply not available. So I decided to go on a 'wait list' for a 3000 series (Asus ROG Strix 3070). My guy has a decent price, and said one will eventually land.
    After much difficulty, I managed to order a GTX 1650 (Asus Tuf series) to hold me over - until the 3070 shows up. I got the 1650 for just over 200 Cdn - so it wasn't too bad. And I'll be able to use it to upgrade my old computer - which is going to my daughter, as a gaming machine.

I've had Revit (and AutoCad) running for a day now. And just signed on for another 14 day trial of Enscape. To say that my experience is different - is to say that water, is wet!! I am in absolute Autodesk Heaven!! And cannot believe the speeds and abilities I'm seeing. This thing is INSANE!!! Even with a GTX 1650!! I can only imagine once I get my 3070! It'll be complete overkill!! But I'm okay with that.
    This new system is whisper quiet, and insanely fast.. And I'm beyond grateful for the assistance I received here!
    Happy to hear you are having a great experience, that is an excellent combination. Well, if you end up using Enscape a lot, the 3070 will be an excellent solution but I am sure in the meantime the 1650 will do well enough. Congrats. This shortage of GPU will supposedly last us till Q2 2021 by some insider speculation. I hope not. It is making my job tough but not impossible.

Current Local Time
    05:57 PM

Another little update...

As mentioned, custom computer building (in the great cold North) is not for those with little patience. And I'm definitely in that group. It's been a LONG wait...but my system is finally in place. All the components are as listed (above), with the exception of the video card. As crazy as it sounds, a 2070 was simply not available. So I decided to go on a 'wait list' for a 3000 series (Asus ROG Strix 3070). My guy has a decent price, and said one will eventually land.
    After much difficulty, I managed to order a GTX 1650 (Asus Tuf series) to hold me over - until the 3070 shows up. I got the 1650 for just over 200 Cdn - so it wasn't too bad. And I'll be able to use it to upgrade my old computer - which is going to my daughter, as a gaming machine.

I've had Revit (and AutoCad) running for a day now. And just signed on for another 14 day trial of Enscape. To say that my experience is different - is to say that water, is wet!! I am in absolute Autodesk Heaven!! And cannot believe the speeds and abilities I'm seeing. This thing is INSANE!!! Even with a GTX 1650!! I can only imagine once I get my 3070! It'll be complete overkill!! But I'm okay with that.
    This new system is whisper quiet, and insanely fast.. And I'm beyond grateful for the assistance I received here!

The joy of not knowing what you were missing !
    Very happy that you are happy with the new machine.

Current Local Time
    09:57 AM

Quote Originally Posted by remiscs View Post
    Happy to hear you are having a great experience, that is an excellent combination. Well, if you end up using Enscape a lot, the 3070 will be an excellent solution but I am sure in the meantime the 1650 will do well enough. Congrats. This shortage of GPU will supposedly last us till Q2 2021 by some insider speculation. I hope not. It is making my job tough but not impossible.
    I cannot get over how 'bonkers' the whole video card situation is. I can only imagine how challenging it must be for you, and other computer builders. My guy doesn't typically build a lot of custom systems - but even he's seeing some shortages, with several peripherals.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Deurloo View Post
    The joy of not knowing what you were missing !
    Very happy that you are happy with the new machine.
    Oooohh....truer words have not been spoken! I knew I'd see some differences - but this is amazing!!
    I cannot wait to get deep into some projects now (to pay for all this). And I'm looking forward to using Enscape, a fair bit more!

Current Local Time
    08:57 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I cannot get over how 'bonkers' the whole video card situation is. I can only imagine how challenging it must be for you, and other computer builders. My guy doesn't typically build a lot of custom systems - but even he's seeing some shortages, with several peripherals.
    Yeah it is interesting but taking inventory helps buffer. That said, it is still tough to get parts. The hardest items are AMD CPU and Nvidia GPU but sometimes other items go out of stock too. Some distributors are marking up items and others do not get to me on the backorder list likely to feed their larger accounts like Best Buy and such which use these distributors too. It helps having good relationships with sales reps which help secure inventory for sure.

5.    #35
    Current Local Time
    09:57 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Another little update here.. As it may help others, looking at new hardware.

The system - as noted - has been performing amazing! And I finally received my new 3000 series video card. My Asus ROG Strix 3070 arrived a couple weeks ago, and it's definitely the 'icing on the cake'..
    I really had no issues with the 1650, but this 3070 is 'lights out' crazy! AutoCad and Revit (with Enscape) runs fantastic! Both, at the same time, with multiple other applications running....

It feels good to have a stable setup again. With the latest and greatest (and a decent workload ahead....to pay for all this...haha).

So if anyone is looking for a majorly High Performance system, this one hits all those boxes.