Thread: Foundation not connecting properly

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    07:08 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Foundation not connecting properly

I'm working on foundations. I have a wall with a structure + a thermal layer.
    When I place the foundation, the foundation is placed on the wall centerline, not on the structural layer centerline.
    So to fix that, I can give the foundation the eccentricity and it will be fixed in the section, but in the floor plan, it is not right. It looks like the foundation is extended.
    How to properly join foundations?

Thanks

2.    #2
    Current Local Time
    11:08 PM

In such a situation, the wall foundations are usually connected correctly. Have you edited their length by pulling the ends? If so, just shorten the foundations back.

3.    #3
    Current Local Time

Hmm i have had this same problem before. I could not find a solution.
    In most cases i resort to using beams as foundations.

4.    #4
    Current Local Time

Thank you for your reply.
    Is there a difference between using beams instead of walls for the foundations?

5.    #5
    Current Local Time
    11:08 PM

Beams can also cause join problems. In such a simple case, I would use the wall foundation. @Immortalis can you attach this part of the model?
    Last edited by Nurlan; September 7th, 2020 at 12:48 PM.

6.    #6
    Current Local Time

Personally i have not had many problems with beam joins, at least with beams you can unjoin.
    You can also use the foundation slab, but that way you wont be able to schedule length or different types of foundation easely.

A lot of the models we get from architects and moddeling company's do use slabs though.

7.    #7
    Current Local Time
    03:08 AM

This is a common issue with the OOTB foundation.
    It is to do with the analytical node as this forces a connection that will cause your beams to do this.
    You can deactivate the "structure" toggle in the properties box of the foundation if you do not need the analytic part of it and this may resolve your issue.

These days, personally, I prefer to use the "in place" component and model the foundations in place.
    It creates much cleaner intersections and I can manage the entire "foundation" of the entire building as one element.

I suggest you create "in place" components and model the extrustions in this family. Make sure you set the category to foundation, and set your material to that of your foundation beams and it will join your other materials properly. When you do this, you can create multiple different extrusions in the same in place family, so if there is a change of height between foundations at an intersection which creates a more complicated interaction between elements Revit will actually solve the problem for you. You can also use different materials in place so for example you could include your sand layers, or screed, or insulation etc in the same in place family. In general it creates much smoother foundations especially at complicated intersections (or even simple corners they will manage all on their own when you join the extrusions)

You can see in the image that using this method I can make foundations of varying size in the same in place family and revit has managed the intersections of the extrusions for me perfectly. In this case I used the "blend" type extrusion but I did this just as a quick example for you. It literally took me about 15 seconds to generate this example for you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	foundations.PNG 
Views:	5 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	39382  
    Last edited by Karalon10; September 11th, 2020 at 07:23 AM.

8.    #8
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Karalon10 View Post
    This is a common issue with the OOTB foundation.
    It is to do with the analytical node as this forces a connection that will cause your beams to do this.
    You can deactivate the "structure" toggle in the properties box of the foundation if you do not need the analytic part of it and this may resolve your issue.

These days, personally, I prefer to use the "in place" component and model the foundations in place.
    It creates much cleaner intersections and I can manage the entire "foundation" of the entire building as one element.

I suggest you create "in place" components and model the extrustions in this family. Make sure you set the category to foundation, and set your material to that of your foundation beams and it will join your other materials properly. When you do this, you can create multiple different extrusions in the same in place family, so if there is a change of height between foundations at an intersection which creates a more complicated interaction between elements Revit will actually solve the problem for you. You can also use different materials in place so for example you could include your sand layers, or screed, or insulation etc in the same in place family. In general it creates much smoother foundations especially at complicated intersections (or even simple corners they will manage all on their own when you join the extrusions)

You can see in the image that using this method I can make foundations of varying size in the same in place family and revit has managed the intersections of the extrusions for me perfectly. In this case I used the "blend" type extrusion but I did this just as a quick example for you. It literally took me about 15 seconds to generate this example for you.
    This might work fine if you only make the model for 2D plan views. But if you actually want to calculate stuff with it by using schedules or IFC viewers like Solibri you wont be able to do that very well.

The advantage of using beams is that you can give information for each different beam type, and thus you can easely calculate length per type, length per type is very usefull to calculate quite a few things. I work at a contractor and the length and volume values are very important for us, saves us a lot of time.

Also in my opinion using beams is actually easier and faster than using an inplace family.
    Last edited by Modderhoop; September 11th, 2020 at 07:29 AM.

9.    #9
    Current Local Time
    03:08 AM

I disagree.
    I can easily integrate report parameters into my extrusion for lengths, and the volumes are created and in the correct category. I can schedule everything you just mentioned out of an insitu family. I can even go as far as drawing in the analytic lines for analysis if I wish.