Thread: Beginner Question: The walls I drew on floor plan 1 are showing up on floor plan 2.

1.    #1
    Lurker
    Current Local Time
    08:25 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Beginner Question: The walls I drew on floor plan 1 are showing up on floor plan 2.

Hi! I am very new to this. This is probably a silly question, but how do I draw new walls on Level 2? I have changed my range base underlay to Level 2 and that eliminated the doors from the problem, but I still have the walls from Level 1 on Level 2. I drew my walls to be 17'3" Unconnected.

2.    #2
    Current Local Time
    02:25 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Firstly, welcome to the forum!

Second, you'll note I've moved your thread to the "General..." sub-forum (as the "Out There" one is really for more random non-Revit things and tends to get less traffic)

Now to your question...

As with most things, there are many ways to complete a task in Revit, and some are not always apparent - so do not be perturbed!

Let's start with, have you a second level? And a plan view associated for it? If so, you will find working in that plan view far easier than making adjustments to another view.

Consider also having a 3D view open at the same time as you work - so you can see how elements "land" as you place them (I prefer not to say draw) - but know also that you can edit the base constraint of any wall at any time...

3.    #3
    Current Local Time
    11:25 AM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    What he said.
    You have a level 2 as you could see it in underlay. So go to the level 2 view and any walls by default will have their base constrained to level 2.
    Your progression through the early stages of this software will be made incredibly easier by watching tutorials such as Ian's free BIMScape youtube series. Or linkedin is worth a subscription as the top people have great tutorials there. The understanding of "how this program talks to itself" is critical. A good analogy is seeing it as a huge spreadsheet with the interface being a 3D model.
    My advice is just watch the tutorials the first time instead of trying to replicate the tutorial model. Understand the tools, the elements... Then rinse and repeat with doing. And this forum is gold for beginners. Bookmark it, read it daily. Don't expect to understand all threads, those ones leave me marvelling at some of the brains in here. Good luck, you will never stop learning. Your brain will hurt, and the smile gets wider. Cheers.

4.    #4
    Current Local Time
    02:25 AM

If it's of interest, after nearly 14 years of using Revit on a daily basis I recently felt I should refresh my knowledge of the program from the ground up, as there is always something you don't know and you tend to get into ruts.

So today arrived Paul Aubin's 'Revit Essentials for Architecture - 2021 and beyond'. I could have got the Kindle version but somehow the paper, in what we in the UK charmingly call 'Imperial' format - i.e. not A4 - is really nice

In the first 30 pages I must have discovered 3 or 4 little gems of knowledge already. Sample files to download etc. also available.

Just what you would expect from Mr Aubin - an excellent book, thoughtfully put together.

As biff says you never stop learning.

5.    #5
    Current Local Time
    11:25 AM

Gotta love those gems. They quickly become tools for everyday. And there's a point for mgkatlee. Don't have a break from using Revit either for play or work. All those little gems, the shortcuts, the tricks all get forgotten very quickly. And then you're back to Ummmm....stage. It's my mental gym equivalent to sudoko. Probably not as easy on a train though.