Thread: How to hide Soffit in a Certain View

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    09:37 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

How to hide Soffit in a Certain View

Hi all,
    I have been working on this project where I used imported parallel beams for the model. I want a certain view to only show the exterior walls and the interior beams at a certain height. However, my soffits are custom made from the family of Walls, and are 2" Gypsum Boards. However, when I VG > hide walls, the interior and exterior walls are both hidden.

I tried to Manage > Object Styles > and create a subcategory for "interior walls" and made the material of that align with that of the 2" Gypsum Board, but that did not seem to work. Is there any other way I can go around this? Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Truss 1.PNG 
Views:	15 
Size:	3.8 KB 
ID:	39415  

2.    #2
    Current Local Time
    02:37 AM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Hi Grizzly.
    There are a number of ways you could approach this.

VG by category will not work and neither will object styles.

Both of these options are category over-rides (or defaults) and because your soffit is also a wall this will not work for you as it will apply to ALL walls.

You will need to drill down furher into the properties of that soffit, and this will need either a project parameter, or to use one of the existing parameters such as a comment, or wall type for example.

In the filters option (VG options then the tab to the far right) you will need to create a new filter name it "Wall Soffit" (for example) and apply it to the wall category. Then on the right hand side you could put something like "Type name" --> "equals" (or "contains") --> "Soffit" then click OK.

Once you create the filter you will need to add it to the view you want to use it, so in the VG options again under filters - you click "add/modify" and add the filter "Wall Soffit"

Then you can set it to hide the object, or modify the hatch etc of just all elements that have the name "Soffit" in their type properties (or comments, or some other parameter)

3.    #3
    Current Local Time
    10:37 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Assuming you aren't using Revit LT and can use filters, they are the way to go. One of the default wall parameters is "Function" and it has the options of interior, exterior, and soffit. If you set your wall functions correctly, you can easily create a filter that grabs all of your soffit walls and allows you to turn them off in the view.

4.    #4
    Current Local Time
    02:37 AM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I wasn't aware that you could set soffit as a wall function, so yes this would be exactly how I would do it.

Set your filter to see
    category - wall
    function ---> equals ---> soffit

Then add your color changes/masking/whatever you need to do to that soffit.

Perfect and easy solution and even better its using the existing database and you dont have to create new parameters