Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linked Model - Mark Parameter

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    04:38 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Linked Model - Mark Parameter

Hi All

I have a job where we have several copies of one house type on a site. I have created the model for this and was hoping to copy this into site model. I can do this no problem.

I have a few categories where I would like to add information to the Mark parameter on the linked models. Then schedule these. However when I try on the linked model it is greyed out and I cannot add a mark.

Is it possible?

2.    #2
    Current Local Time
    01:38 AM

In your families make sure it is "shared" in the family parameters and then if there are sub families they will need to be set as shared also if you want that info out of them.

If that doesn't open up the option for you, you might need to create a shared parameter and then set the type mark parameter in your family to equal your new shared parameter
    Last edited by Karalon10; September 15th, 2020 at 09:06 AM.

3.    #3
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Karalon10 View Post
    In your families make sure it is "shared" in the family parameters and then if there are sub families they will need to be set as shared also if you want that info out of them.

If that doesn't open up the option for you, you might need to create a shared parameter and then set the type mark parameter in your family to equal your new shared parameter
    The family is shared. I have also tried another shared parameter to no avail.

4.    #4
    Current Local Time

Maybe I misunderstood the intent here. Did you want to push changes to mark parameter in a linked file through the host file? I was thinking it was families but the problem is that the entire file is linked and you want to push it through the host to the link?

If this is the case I don't think you can, but you could do it through an excel spreadsheet and force the new parameter into the link file that way.

5.    #5
    Current Local Time
    05:38 PM

What data would you put in the Parameter in your scenario?

Don't forget you can schedule the link properties and by doing so split your quantities by Link instance if that is what you're after.

6.    #6
    Current Local Time

I have a site that's piled. I have 4No. House Types and a total of 85 Houses.

I was going to model the 4No. House types as separate models, then insert them into an overall site model. I was then going to copy the house types accordingly and then number each pile in the site model so I can schedule it.

I cannot do that at the moment.

7.    #7
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by MartinGT View Post
    I have a site that's piled. I have 4No. House Types and a total of 85 Houses.

I was going to model the 4No. House types as separate models, then insert them into an overall site model. I was then going to copy the house types accordingly and then number each pile in the site model so I can schedule it.

I cannot do that at the moment.
    You won't be able to pull different values from a single parameter from two (or more) instances of the same link.
    You could split a schedule (as bjorn said) by link instance, but any data values would be identical.

8.    #8
    Current Local Time

If I'm understanding correctly (apologies if not) but wouldnt a copy monitor work in this instance? You could copy the items into your project and then apply whatever value to the parameter you need. Then if you change the piling in your original it will notify you for a co-ordination review.

9.    #9
    Current Local Time

I don't see how you can do this without using a simple generic tag that you fill in by hand rather than tagging to the object. As Elton said I think the issue will be that you are trying to push different values through what is essentially the same object repeated in different places.

10.    #10
    Current Local Time

Yeh, looks like I am after something I cannot get.

I have tried grouping the foundations together and then copying them, but as soon as I change the levels they ungroup. So probably best I do them all individual. Which is a bit sad.