Thread: Random duplicate tags

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    12:27 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Random duplicate tags

In large or complex models, we often see this weird behaviour where duplicate tags appear on different objects. They are almost always directly on top of each other or offset by a mm or two. We've seen this in workshared projects for years, across different Revit versions, project files, family categories etc. Whether the tag is in a detail group doesn't seem to matter.

I've made sure it's not the result of two people tagging the same objects and syncing. I've not been able to pinpoint exactly when the duplicates appear(on sync, reload latest, opening file or just randomly). Has anyone else experienced this?

Here is an example of a generic model tag in an attached detail group:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Anteckning 2020-09-15 144744.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	39417

When i edit the group and move the tag another one, outside the group, appears underneath it. If it always appeared at exactly the same spot it would be more or less okay, but when they are offset from each other it looks bad.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Anteckning 2020-09-15 144744.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	39416

EDIT: as I was writing this it actually happened again. I tagged a wall that wasn't tagged, wrote this post, went back to the model and the wall suddenly had two tags. I did no save action in between. The issue seems to be that tags become invisible for a while and then appear again, if someone happens to tag it during that time duplicates appear later.

The "on top of each other" vs offset situations I think relate to which object is being tagged. A generic model will place a tag with no leader on the same spot by default every time, while a wall tag might be placed anywhere on the wall.

However this doesn't explain why tags in groups get duplicates outside the group. I'm positive none of us are tagging grouped elements outside their detail groups. When I delete that tag, the "Group members have been excluded from this group instance." warning appears. But I can't see that the tag would belong to any group.
    Last edited by Googleye; September 15th, 2020 at 12:57 PM.