Thread: Swapping Structural Walls with Architectural walls

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    08:37 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Swapping Structural Walls with Architectural walls

I've been working on a building with an architect that has 12" concrete walls all around. He has been moving around his windows & doors location on his model so I decided to proceed with my structural model without showing any door or window openings in my walls. Then I'll come back later after the architect has finalized their location and update my model.

That day has come.

Since the building has 12" walls and there is no cladding on the exterior (only furring and gypsum on the interior that I can turn off) I'm hoping that the walls can be a direct swap. How do I go about swapping out my walls for his? I do have some structural steel framing attached to my window-less walls so I figured that it might be an issue.
    Is there an easy way to do this?
    Thanks

2.    #2
    Current Local Time
    06:37 PM

If I understand correctly, then you need to align your walls with the architectural ones and add openings?
    I would do this:
    Manually align the walls;
    Copy windows from the arch model - paste to same place into structural walls;
    Replace windows / doors families with openings.

If you know Dynamo, then it is possible to automate the creation of openings, for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3q0rALR8ws

3.    #3
    Current Local Time
    10:37 PM

If you want to "swap" walls, are you saying that you want to entirely remove the ones you modeled as place-holders?

If so, personally I would link in the architect model, and use the copy/monitor tool.
    You can set "copy original type" in the copy/monitor options for the walls, so you have the same wall type he has created. Copy his walls and openings and leave the "monitor" activated. Now when he modifies them you will be alerted of it, and can approve or deny it and your model will update (almost) automatically with his changes. You should have done it this way from the start

You can just choose your current wall type and delete it out entirely

4.    #4
    Current Local Time

Why does this forum log me out so quickly? I posted a lengthy follow up and and when I clicked "post quick reply" it was lost.

5.    #5
    Current Local Time

The Dynamo feature seems to be a great workaround but I cannot install any software on my work machine without going through IT and I don't feel like waiting that long for them to get around to it.

I ended up using the copy monitor tool but I can't help be feel that I'm missing something.

I linked Architects Model
    Clicked Copy/Monitor - Select Link
    Selected "Options" then Wall tab
    Selected all the walls I didn't want under the Original type column and selected "Don't Copy this type" under the New type column.
    Selected the wall I wanted under the original type column and selected the wall type in my model under the New type column.
    I picked Copy - selected the walls to be copied - and finished the command.

Everting seem to work but I got a warning of overlapping walls. Seems like Revit imported the walls I wanted directly over my existing walls instead of replacing them. Do I have to manual erase my original walls or hide them in each view? or did I do something wrong.

6.    #6
    Current Local Time

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    So you have exactly as you said, geometry inside geometry.
    You can leave it, but it will create double volumes and conflicts in your model review for example. This isnt a big issue if you wish to leave them as doubles you can, but the workflow (at the start) means you dont actually have to model anything, you copy what the architect has (so yes you can delete the double ups)

What you want is that when either you, or the architect modify the position of that wall, revit will warn you of a change and you can review it before accepting (at which point revit will move the wall, or opening in the wall etc., to the new position).
    You can reject it, which will then send a message back to the architect saying it was rejected (and you can add a comment why)
    You can accept that there is a difference and it will not show the error next time.

Also be aware that deleting a wall, then remodelling a wall of a different size or type in its place is not ideal as if the object is deleted it will remove your copy/monitor link. (in fact it will tell you item was deleted and if you accept it deletes also your item). The preferred workflow is to modify items while leaving the objects in place rather than delete and replace, wherever possible.

I also tend to create coordination 3D views where I just have walls visible, and my walls in green, architect walls in red. You will quickly see any items that do not fit properly and from there you can then querry deeper as to why, and check your model review to see what changed and accept them one by one and be sure they update as required.
    Last edited by Karalon10; September 28th, 2020 at 01:06 PM.

7.    #7
    Current Local Time

Thanks for the confirmation and the tips. They go a long way to making me feel more comfortable with the software.
    So a few more questions came up as I'm working through this.

I was also hoping that any floor framing and roof framing that was tied to my structural walls would automatically tie themselves to the copied walls but it seems like I'll have to do that manually.

Since I'm copying in Architects walls and deleting mine to avoid overlapping geometry. Can I change the discipline of the copied architectural walls to "structural" and still have Revit monitor changes properly?

So I copied all the architectural walls from the architect's model, the exterior walls that I needed and the non loadbearing walls that I don't necessarily need. I figured that the walls I don't need structurally, I can "halftone" them on my plan sheets. For some reason Revit made an new type for every segment of wall. In other words If I copied ten walls of the same type (6" metal stud) from the architects model, when Revit copied it to my structural model the 10 walls were all different types. (6" metal stud 1) (6" metal stud 2) (6" metal stud 3 etc.) Is this normal?

8.    #8
    Current Local Time

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by natedj View Post
    I was also hoping that any floor framing and roof framing that was tied to my structural walls would automatically tie themselves to the copied walls but it seems like I'll have to do that manually.
    Correct, you will have to re-do this at this point. Connections like this are associated to unique objects and if you remove that object the association is lost and needs to be reastablished with a new host. As the old walls were load bearing, and the new ones are not, I think that the problem lies there, in that the trusses are looking for an analytical node to connect to, but this is not present as the wall is not set to load bearing currently. Test if changing the wall to load bearing resets the connection to the node or not. At any rate, this sort of connection should not matter much unless you are using the analytic tools.

Since I'm copying in Architects walls and deleting mine to avoid overlapping geometry. Can I change the discipline of the copied architectural walls to "structural" and still have Revit monitor changes properly?
    Yes, you can just go ahead and tick the "structure" box in the wall instance properties. Actually all this does is activate the analytic node of that wall, it also will change visibility of the wall depending on your view discipline settings. Ie structure discipline does not see non-load bearing (or walls that do not have "structure" box checked)

So I copied all the architectural walls from the architect's model, the exterior walls that I needed and the non loadbearing walls that I don't necessarily need. I figured that the walls I don't need structurally, I can "halftone" them on my plan sheets. For some reason Revit made an new type for every segment of wall. In other words If I copied ten walls of the same type (6" metal stud) from the architects model, when Revit copied it to my structural model the 10 walls were all different types. (6" metal stud 1) (6" metal stud 2) (6" metal stud 3 etc.) Is this normal?
    You can set up a filter to half tone non structural walls.
    Make a new filter and just set to "does not equal" "structure" and then add it to your view template, and check the "half tone" box at the far right. Or you can just make it a lighter grey for example.

I do not know why it would split walls the way you explain, unless they had slightly different properties, or perhaps profiles applied to them, or some other modification. Check to see that they are not modified in some way maybe with a different paint finish or material applied etc. Assuming this isnt the case, just go back and switch them all to the "parent" type and delete the other types from your families in your project browser.
    Last edited by Karalon10; September 29th, 2020 at 06:32 AM.

9.    #9
    Current Local Time

The Dynamo feature seems to be a great workaround but I cannot install any software on my work machine without going through IT and I don't feel like waiting that long for them to get around to it.

I ended up using the copy monitor tool but I can't help be feel that I'm missing something.
    Dynamo should be included in your revit deployment there will be nothing to install. You can go to the "manage" tab and on the far right of that tool ribbon you will see "Dynamo" and "Dynamo player".

The player is for running existing scripts, and "Dynamo" will launch the script creator/editor interface.

Then you will want to go here
    https://primer.dynamobim.org/01_Intr...roduction.html

and I wish you luck, I also need to learn this
    Last edited by Karalon10; September 29th, 2020 at 06:39 AM.

10.    #10
    Current Local Time

Thanks this helps a lot!
    I'm still not sure why Revit broke up the architects wall type like that. I went back in the architects model and I was able to select and isolate all the walls of that type. But after copying them in my model, each segment had a number added to the type name. Oh well, it was an easy fix to make them the same again.
    Thanks for the insight!