Thread: Problems With Multiple People in a Model

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    01:50 PM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Problems With Multiple People in a Model

[COLOR=#1A1A1B][FONT=&amp]Hello everyone.
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#1A1A1B][FONT=&amp]I work as a CAD/BIM manager in a MEP engineering office. We are located in an area that is a bit more rural than most, so its only been in the last few years that we are really transitioning from AutoCAD to Revit, and we are starting to run into some problems on larger jobs.
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#1A1A1B][FONT=&amp]For example, we are running toward a major deadline at the end of the week, so we are very much all hands on deck. There are times where we have three mechanical engineers, three electrical engineers plus myself working on a model at the same time, since the deadline is rushing toward us. This causes some small degree of slowdown (which we expected), however a couple times a week we run into an issue where someone tries to sync to central and the process gets stuck. It then becomes an ordeal of finding who in the model is the one "blocking the pipe" so to speak before everyone is able to finally sync and we can all move forward.
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#1A1A1B][FONT=&amp]I know that this is a pretty large job (at least for us) and that seven people is alot, but I also know that buildings far larger than this one is made in Revit with teams far larger than our own. So is this just part of the deal with Revit, or is there something that larger groups are doing that we are not? How do your firms deal with larger projects?
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#1A1A1B][FONT=&amp]Some notes:[/FONT][/COLOR]

• We are all in the same version of Revit (2020.2 in this instance)
    • The building is a 300k sq. ft. school
    • Our central model size is about 650 mb
    • We are using add-in software from CTC, specifically the MEP Productivity Pack and the Project/BIM Manager Suite Tools
    • I know the "correct" way to handle this would be to stagger production and try to avoid deadline crunch, but its sadly unavoidable on at least this project (the architect is still making some changes to the building as recently as last week)

[COLOR=#1A1A1B][FONT=&amp]Thank you for any help or tips.[/FONT][/COLOR]

2.    #2
    Current Local Time

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    When you posted this on Reddit, we asked some follow up questions to try to help you solve the issue. You havent posted answers yet there (or here). Without answers to those Q's, we are all just guessing. Here is a copy:

Quote Originally Posted by Me on Reddit

First, the size of the project/model/team shouldnt be causing that issue. Sure, 6-7 people will trip on each other now and again, but thats normal.

1. When the SWC gets stuck, is there a message? Does it say its waiting for someone to relinquish something in particular?

2. The CTC Suites: Can you get an exact build number/version? Im assuming its 21.0.2, oe 20.x.x. I want to make sure its not 21.0.0.

3. I assume the model is hosted on your Server, yes? Not on BIM360? Or is it BIM360?

4. Everyone is PLUGGED IN to a network port, and has wireless physically switched off on their machines, correct?
    Ill also add in a number 5: No one in your office is still on Windows 7, correct?

3.    #3
    Current Local Time

Oh, I responded directly to your response on Reddit, I guess I should have added it to the main post as well or responded to a DM or something. Sorry about that. In any case, here is what I said:

• When this problem occurs, it will progress as usual for a bit, then get stuck at a certain percentage and show a dialog that reads "Waiting, Central Model is Busy" and has a cancel button. It then holds there indefinitely. In the Worksharing Monitor, it reads Waiting next to the person trying to sync. Everytime Ive thought to check, everyone gets stuck at the same percentage.
    • The CTC suites installed on my machine are 21.0.0, is that bad? I will say that the Project/Manager suites are not installed on everyone's machine, and that we are not currently actively using the tools. More than the suites we are using the MEPPP, and using the CTC families as often as we can.
    • The central model is hosted on our in-house server.
    • Everyone is using desktop PCs in the building with the server. I do not believe that they even have wireless capability. One person is working from home due to Covid, but he uses a remote login to access his work PC, and it is his work PC that is running Revit and accessing the model.

Also, for question #5, we are all running up to date Windows 10.

Thank you for any help you can give!

4.    #4
    Current Local Time

Weird, your response still isnt showing up on Reddit, anywhere in that thread.

Okay, so Central Model is Busy means the machine in question legitimately thinks someone else is in the middle of a sync, or that the file is in the middle of some other process, according to your file server. Ive seen that a LOT when one user was still on Windows 7, because there is an SMB compatibility issue with Windows 7 and Windows 10, with Revit. If everyone is on Windows 10, thats a bit perplexing.

I would check with IT, and see what sort of file backups may be trying to run on the central model, while you are all working in it.

As for the CTC Suites... 21.0.0 had a pretty serious issue that affected using BIM 360. They released 21.0.1 almost immediately after. It *shouldnt* be affecting you, given youre all working on your company server... But you might want to disable those suites temporarily, to see if the problem goes away (i doubt it will).

5.    #5
    Current Local Time
    04:50 AM

I have seen this issue when someone was duplicating a login of another user
    IE two people were logged in with the same user name.
    Revit will not like it if two people have the same name set in their user ID in a central model.

Check each revit when it is open on each machine and make sure there is no duplicate user names.

Might not be it, but worth checking.

Under the "options" menu, in the "general properties" tab you will see the user name and it may be that the virtual login from your remote user is causing issues there.

Also have you tried isolating the issue? Can you just have one open at a time and see if some will sync and others do not or is it just a global effect that no one at all can sync?
    Last edited by Karalon10; September 23rd, 2020 at 07:50 AM.

6.    #6
    Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time
    11:50 AM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I may not remember this correctly but if you're running worksharing monitor try not running it on any machines. WM depends on external files being published regularly and I recall some firms describing sync/busy issues whenever it was being used by many people on a team. Related to WM and worksharing display options, also consider reducing the Worksharing Update Frequency in the Option dialog.