Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading Models with CLOSED Worksets

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    02:18 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Upgrading Models with CLOSED Worksets

Previous upgrade posts haven't really addressed this - hoping someone has encountered this.

I have some very old (and very large) project models that attempts to upgrade have taxed out the processing on our standard workstations. I'm outlining best practices and aside from the advice to upgrade any LINKED models first, to avoid temporary upgrading of them during the main file upgrade, I'm weighing advising to CLOSE ALL WORKSETS other than some lightweight ones (Shared Levels and Grids, for instance) during the initial upgrade, and then open those worksets incrementally.

Does anyone have experience with this as an upgrading workflow, and can confirm/deny that this improves performance/stability during the upgrade?

2.    #2
    Current Local Time
    04:18 AM

Quote Originally Posted by aperte View Post
    Previous upgrade posts haven't really addressed this - hoping someone has encountered this.

I have some very old (and very large) project models that attempts to upgrade have taxed out the processing on our standard workstations. I'm outlining best practices and aside from the advice to upgrade any LINKED models first, to avoid temporary upgrading of them during the main file upgrade, I'm weighing advising to CLOSE ALL WORKSETS other than some lightweight ones (Shared Levels and Grids, for instance) during the initial upgrade, and then open those worksets incrementally.

Does anyone have experience with this as an upgrading workflow, and can confirm/deny that this improves performance/stability during the upgrade?
    I cant speak to *stability* issues, as i havent ever experienced any INstability with upgrading, and i do a lot of it.

My concern/curiosity about only opening some worksets incrementally, is: They all have to be opened at some point in the upgrade process, or i would FEAR that Revit hadnt "done its stuff" to those elements. That might not be true at all, though. Id be curious to get the take of someone in development, on that.

But it would also take WAY longer, to fuss around with it. I think i would just tell management the computers werent up to the task, lol. Hardware is cheaper than time, in cases like these.

3.    #3
    Current Local Time

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Since many times, individual models are linked into each other in both directions, I usually rename all the models by adding an X to the file name (in Windows Explorer)
    Then as I start upgrading models (Links first), I rename one file to the correct name, and open/upgrade it.
    Then I move on to open & upgrade the next.
    Working my way up the Link tree, eventually by the time you get to the top file model, all of the Links have been upgraded and should behave.
    Renaming the files prevents them from loading, but retains everything (V/G settings). It will just report Not Found.
    You may need to go back into some models and Reload, but that can be done once everything is upgraded.
    Also, renaming all of the models helps keep track of which ones are completed.
    Since this entire process can take hours, I tend to get distracted easily and start working on something else while I'm waiting.

4.    #4
    Current Local Time

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Since many times, individual models are linked into each other in both directions, I usually rename all the models by adding an X to the file name (in Windows Explorer)
    Then as I start upgrading models (Links first), I rename one file to the correct name, and open/upgrade it.
    Then I move on to open & upgrade the next.
    Working my way up the Link tree, eventually by the time you get to the top file model, all of the Links have been upgraded and should behave.
    Renaming the files prevents them from loading, but retains everything (V/G settings). It will just report Not Found.
    You may need to go back into some models and Reload, but that can be done once everything is upgraded.
    Also, renaming all of the models helps keep track of which ones are completed.
    Since this entire process can take hours, I tend to get distracted easily and start working on something else while I'm waiting.
    We do this as well, but not with an X: The version number is at the end of the File Name, for us.

So 20057-Arch-R19 gets renamed to 20057-Arch-R21, if im upgrading it to 2021. It auto stops the links, as you mentioned. Then i reload them after theyve been upgraded.

5.    #5
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    Hardware is cheaper than time, in cases like these.
    Good point, but $$ in the age of COVID is.... under lock and key.

6.    #6
    Current Local Time

Thanks for this tip, Dave. I use the 'add an X' method to a LOT of processes (mostly family and group related) so I like this method as it's in sync with other process recommendations.

7.    #7
    Current Local Time

Okay, I'm going to time test upgrading a model both with all worksets open and with closed/re-open. I've got a VPN/RDP situation, so it may not be a 'pure' result, but we'll see.

Thanks for your input, guys, appreciate having a soundboard.

8.    #8
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by aperte View Post
    Good point, but $$ in the age of COVID is.... under lock and key.
    Hahaha. Yep. That seems to be an issue most everywhere. I hopeful for the day when that stops being a veiled excuse for not spending money.

Jon

9.    #9
    Current Local Time
    05:18 AM

Quote Originally Posted by kingjosiah View Post
    a veiled excuse for not spending money.

Wow... On so many levels, just wow.

10.    #10
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by kingjosiah View Post
    Hahaha. Yep. That seems to be an issue most everywhere. I hopeful for the day when that stops being a veiled excuse for not spending money.

Jon
    Im always hopeful for a day when AE firms realize that "their employees burning time trying to find workarounds derived from having substandard gear" is the same (or more) money lost than the price tag for equipment or tools to do the job right, but that continues to be my wish.

I laugh when clients tell me they cant afford to spend an extra 500-1000 dollars on a mchine for a member of the staff, when the difference in performance is so staggering its costing them hours per week. Hehehe.