Thread: Civil3D -> Revit

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    01:17 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Civil3D -> Revit

I'm not even touching topo in this thread... but is there a method that just gets the pipes in and we can see them? I'm only seeing endcaps.
    Am I asking too much already? <I think I know that answer>

Closest I found was this thread.
    https://revitforum.org/showthread.ph...ation-in-revit

2.    #2
    Current Local Time
    02:17 PM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Its been a number of years since ive had to do it, but the last time i looked/tried it, the actual runs of Pipes wouldnt come in, through a number of techniques that were tried (straight save as DWG, export to AutoCAD, save as-different dwg, etc). Totally possible that its possible, but ive never seen it happen. Fittings on the pipes, absolutely. But not the pipes themselves. So... we've always re-modeled them, if they were really needed.

3.    #3
    Current Local Time
    12:17 PM

Revitkid did a underground pipe using railing. Just check his Youtube video. Go to 45min mark to learn how it was done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw3MBFRInAQ

4.    #4
    Current Local Time

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by scourdx View Post
    Revitkid did a underground pipe using railing. Just check his Youtube video. Go to 45min mark to learn how it was done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw3MBFRInAQ
    I mean... Revit has Pipe tools. That wasnt the question, lol.

5.    #5
    Current Local Time
    12:17 PM

Yea i know but it takes time to get the slope right and can be frustrating. I wish Autodesk would have Civil3d pipe to Revit pipe translation with a click of a button. For me I just want to use it as visualization and not so much on accuracy. So railing works. I wish Autodesk would make the pipe conform to topo. It would save us time with calculating slope.

6.    #6
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    Its been a number of years since ive had to do it, but the last time i looked/tried it, the actual runs of Pipes wouldnt come in, through a number of techniques that were tried (straight save as DWG, export to AutoCAD, save as-different dwg, etc). Totally possible that its possible, but ive never seen it happen. Fittings on the pipes, absolutely. But not the pipes themselves. So... we've always re-modeled them, if they were really needed.
    From the testing I've been doing with the Civil team, it appears nothing has changed.

The last statement is the million dollar question... is it really needed?

"Yeah, yeah, but your scientists [Design Team] were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should." - Dr. Ian Malcolm

7.    #7
    Current Local Time

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cheinaranta View Post
    From the testing I've been doing with the Civil team, it appears nothing has changed.

The last statement is the million dollar question... is it really needed?

"Yeah, yeah, but your scientists [Design Team] were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should." - Dr. Ian Malcolm
    There definitely are times that its needed, dont get me wrong. We have had several construction projects where it was needed to model things around the utilities. Then again, we also wanted to be working off the Fabricators models, at that point, which were AutoCAD MEP or something similar. All the same issues, mind you.

I dont disagree, that there should be a much faster/easier way to bring them in. Ill bet they could be dirty-direct shaped in through Dynamo, if the pertinent pipe data was yanked out of C3D though.

8.    #8
    Current Local Time
    05:17 AM

So you can just export it as a 3D DWG, and you can see this in your model, although it will not render or anything nice it is essentially wireframe, but it works.

9.    #9
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Karalon10 View Post
    So you can just export it as a 3D DWG, and you can see this in your model, although it will not render or anything nice it is essentially wireframe, but it works.
    Thank you.
    Latest news is they started from a client template and for some reason it won't export properly. Stock ADSK templates work fine.