Thread: Linked autocad drawings in revit models

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    12:50 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Linked autocad drawings in revit models

Hi,

I'm modelling in Revit a commercial project, but the information is in autocad. I link every floor from autocad in the revit model. But some autocad drawings don't show properly.

The autocad drawings also have references, and that is the problem some references don't show properly in the revit model. I'll try relink again all the references in Autocad, save and reload in Revit but I still have the same problem.

I don't know if there's a problem with that workflow is the first time I had seen that problem.

If anyone can bring me the light I'll appreciate, thanks.

2.    #2
    Current Local Time
    09:50 AM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    What info are you having issue with? Here are couple of issues with CAD I've experience

1. If you have override color & linetype in AutoCAD, it won't allow you to override them in Revit. So always make sure all objects are set to bylayer.

2. MTEXT is a big issue because people love to use the text editor and start changing the text justification and formatting. When link into Revit, the text will jump to other places.

3. Pline Width is pointless. In Revit it won't display any polyline thickness regardless if you want to make a thick line.

4. AutoCAD Hatch set to small will turn to solid color in Revit. This is especially issue if you are inserting manufacturer block. Increase your hatch scale.

5. XLINE, MLINE, RAY, gradient Hatch & custom linestyle won't display in Revit.

6. AutoCAD object with material won't get transfer over to Revit even if they both shared the same identical material. I'm not sure why Autodesk won't let it translate from one product over the other. You are always stuck with Render-000-000-000 material.

7. The AutoCAD SOLID object type will not respect Revit transparency graphic override.

8. XREF AutoCAD drawing will cause lines to jump and be fuzzy. Often I have to resort to binding all the XREF to make it show up correctly.

There are many. I will add more if I recall other one.

3.    #3
    Current Local Time
    02:50 AM

Quote Originally Posted by scourdx View Post
    What info are you having issue with? Here are couple of issues with CAD I've experience

1. If you have override color & linetype in AutoCAD, it won't allow you to override them in Revit. So always make sure all objects are set to bylayer.

2. MTEXT is a big issue because people love to use the text editor and start changing the text justification and formatting. When link into Revit, the text will jump to other places.

3. Pline Width is pointless. In Revit it won't display any polyline thickness regardless if you want to make a thick line.

4. AutoCAD Hatch set to small will turn to solid color in Revit. This is especially issue if you are inserting manufacturer block. Increase your hatch scale.

5. XLINE, MLINE, RAY, gradient Hatch & custom linestyle won't display in Revit.

6. AutoCAD object with material won't get transfer over to Revit even if they both shared the same identical material. I'm not sure why Autodesk won't let it translate from one product over the other. You are always stuck with Render-000-000-000 material.

7. The AutoCAD SOLID object type will not respect Revit transparency graphic override.

8. XREF AutoCAD drawing will cause lines to jump and be fuzzy. Often I have to resort to binding all the XREF to make it show up correctly.

There are many. I will add more if I recall other one.
    Not really adding much to the convo, just wanting to say that it a lot of issues!

can you bind references in autocad like with links in revit?

4.    #4
    Current Local Time

Instead of relying on nested links, link every file into the model separately.

5.    #5
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by elton williams View Post
    Not really adding much to the convo, just wanting to say that it a lot of issues!

can you bind references in autocad like with links in revit?
    Yup...however AutoCAD binding is another different can of worms. There are two type of binding - Bind-Bind and Bind-Insert.

Bind-insert will combine same layers into one and you will see more object. However if the block have the same name, it will override them and you will get weird drawing graphical issue. This keeps the file size smaller

The bind-bind is the best result but you will get huge list of layers. This is a common problem and you will see layers, linetype and blocks with $0$. Also file size can be huge and very heavy.

6.    #6
    Current Local Time

My problem is some of the xref don't show 8n the revit model but in autocad don't have any problem

7.    #7
    Current Local Time

The issue with that is they use the same xref in too many drawings, and I don't see that suitable, thanks any way, if I can't solve the problem I think In gotta do that.

8.    #8
    Current Local Time

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Luis94 View Post
    My problem is some of the xref don't show 8n the revit model but in autocad don't have any problem
    Check and see if those XREF is set to overlay. If it is, it won't show in Revit. Nested XREF in AutoCAD will create issue inside Revit. You have to make sure a lot of the XREF don't have unloaded, unreference or Not Found. If they do, Revit won't show the CAD properly. Most often I recommend just bind it to keep yourself from headache. Keep it simple and you won't run into issue.

9.    #9
    Current Local Time

Thank I think is the better way, I'll gonna check that, thanks