Thread: File Based Worksharing - LAN - 10 GB

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    05:17 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Post File Based Worksharing - LAN - 10 GB

Dear Experts,
    I was planning to build network for the File based work-sharing and need your suggestion (Central file located at network drive and 6 Desktop computers with local files). Is there any one who used 10G technology on this purpose. My question is:
    1. What kind of driver for central file you suggest not to limit speed of 10G network. (Server, NAS and etc.). What hardware parameters you suggest. SSD, CPU, RAM recommendation. 10G network port is required?
    2. What cabling type (CAT6, Fiber and etc) is recommended not to limit speed of 10G? Any maximum cabling length recommended?
    3. For the computers which local files is stored, do i need 10g Ethernet adapter to be installed as well? Is it going to affect performance?
    4. Any suggestion about 10 GB network switch? Brand, parameters and etc.

Thanks.

2.    #2
    Current Local Time
    12:17 AM

Quote Originally Posted by kvusal View Post
    Dear Experts,
    I was planning to build network for the File based work-sharing and need your suggestion (Central file located at network drive and 6 Desktop computers with local files). Is there any one who used 10G technology on this purpose. My question is:
    1. What kind of driver for central file you suggest not to limit speed of 10G network. (Server, NAS and etc.). What hardware parameters you suggest. SSD, CPU, RAM recommendation. 10G network port is required?
    2. What cabling type (CAT6, Fiber and etc) is recommended not to limit speed of 10G? Any maximum cabling length recommended?
    3. For the computers which local files is stored, do i need 10g Ethernet adapter to be installed as well? Is it going to affect performance?
    4. Any suggestion about 10 GB network switch? Brand, parameters and etc.

Thanks.
    I have to ask: Is there a reason youve decided on trying to achieve full 10G for this purpose? I only ask, because its a substantial undertaking, and Revit (the software) is still plenty enough of a bootleneck that you might not net much return on investment, with all points 10G.

If you want to go 10G, the file server itself will need to support 10g, which will mean something with a 10g NIC as well as having hard drives that can write (or take advantage of) that speed. Thats going to mean SSD's or SSD caching, and a balls fast processor.

10G switches arent cheap, and it would also mean 10G NIC's in all the workstations, connected by at least CAT6a.

Also keep in mind that saving locally happens twice during SWC, so write time to the local C drive will still be a factor.

Honestly, its a fun goal, but i dont think id bother with it in a real office, for Revit work.

3.    #3
    Current Local Time
    05:17 AM

Dear Twiceroadsfool,
    thanks for your detailed information.
    There are two option in the market. One is cheap another is twice expensive. Difference is CPU and Ram. Could you check and let me know if I need to buy expensive one for long therm (9 user working at same time) or cheap one also will be enough as well.
    Cheap one: DS1817
    Expensive one: DS1621xs+

Thanks.

4.    #4
    Current Local Time
    12:17 AM

Respectfully... No.

You didn't answer any of the questions above about why you feel it's in your interests to try setting up 10G for Revit use, so I'm certainly not about to pick between units that I think are a waste of money.

I wouldn't set up 10G at all, if I we're you. MAYBE 10G from the NAS to the switch, but that had other considerations as outlined above.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk