Thread: Is there any workaround for Cable Tray materials?

Current Local Time
    12:38 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Question Is there any workaround for Cable Tray materials?

I've looked all around the internet and the only way I can find to apply cable tray materials is to use the Object Styles material override. This works well enough for one style of cable tray, but my issue is I'm working with two styles of cable tray. The Object Styles override applies to every type of cable tray within the project.

I have wire mesh basket tray outside of the server room and ladder-type cable tray within the server room. I have a pretty decent material set up to make the basket tray look realistic in the render, but the same material wouldn't work for the ladder tray within the server room.

Ideally I'd like to be able to have the basket tray be a brushed aluminum finish and the ladder tray be a white metal finish. The only solution I can think of is to model In-Place the ladder tray within the server room which sounds very tedious. Anyone know of other workarounds to visually represent two different types of cable tray in a render in the same project?

Current Local Time
    11:38 AM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Wowzers. It blows my mind that there isnt real Material Support for Cable Trays. How disappointing!

If its JUST two, and its JUST for a rendering, you can get around it by making one type "Existing," and using a Phase Filter Graphical Override by Material, to swap it.

But thats so nasty, i cant even. lol

Current Local Time
    11:38 PM

Сopy paste aligned one type of cable tray into a new project, change material, paste as a link into the main project.

Forum Addict
    Current Local Time
    03:38 AM

There is a plugin called "MagiCAD" and I believe the MEP plugin for this has objects of different types, the ladder type is not essentially another material not sure how it is generated but it seems to array the "rungs" along the path and is therefore not touched by the material settings. Anyhow, have a look, maybe it solves your issue, that said its not a cheap solution for just this issue, it is however, a good MEP tool and has many cool features apart from cable tray that you might find useful.

Current Local Time

Thanks for all the suggestions! Aaron, I am also amazed that cable trays don't have material support. I think this has been a customer desire for years now, and it seems like it wouldn't be too hard for Autodesk to implement, but I guess if it were that easy they would have done it already, right?

The pasting as a link trick sounds like it might be the path of least resistance.

I will look into MagiCAD as well, but unfortunately I think our department budget for BIM is mostly expended between Revit and Navisworks!

Forum Addict
    Current Local Time
    03:38 AM

Oh you mention navisworks, and the render engine in navisworks is the same as revit, therefore you may be able to get the result you want in navisworks by applying the material there and then rendering in Navis rather than Revit as you can apply materials independant of category etc in Navisworks (without the same restrictions as revit, that is)

You can also recover the same views that you have in revit, in Navisworks, and so theoretically its a matter of setting your render view up, and then passing to navisworks to apply the material and render easily.
    Last edited by Karalon10; October 13th, 2020 at 02:21 PM.

Current Local Time

I could have sworn I responded but thank you for that information Karalon10.

I ended up cutting/pasting the server room tray from the main Revit file into a blank new file. Then, I applied a white material override (using object styles) to the Cable Tray system family in the new file. Saved it and then linked it into my original file and the tray linked in to the same position with the new white material while my other metal basket tray was unaffected, so it worked exactly how I wanted it to!