Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Collaborate on a Revit Central File

Current Local Time
    05:48 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Collaborate on a Revit Central File

Hi everyone,

First of all I'm not a Revit user, but an IT guy in an office using Revit.

My question: what is the best and safest method to share out a Revit Central file to other office so that everyone can work and update on that file simultaneously?

This will only for one single project, and the other office is not in any way a part of our organisation.

Thank you.

Current Local Time
    07:48 AM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    There are plenty of workflows available with varying degrees of support and reliability but my suggestion is BIM360. All can work on the same file simultaneously, or each office can link each others file.

Current Local Time
    01:48 PM

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Current Local Time
    03:48 PM

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't listen to anyone who tells you to use Dropbox

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Don't listen to anyone who tells you to use Dropbox
    Or a direct vpn to an office server

Current Local Time
    05:48 AM

We are thinking of setting up a cloud server (Azure) for the Revit file. Opinions?

For BIM360 what I heard is:
    1. It's expensive as it's purchase per user basis and it's going to involve quite a number of users
    2. the central file in BIM360 might not always be the most up to date ones as users needs to upload them specifically? (needs verification)

Quote Originally Posted by elton williams View Post
    Or a direct vpn to an office server
    What are the cons?

Current Local Time
    03:48 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Sensates View Post
    We are thinking of setting up a cloud server (Azure) for the Revit file. Opinions?

1. It's expensive as it's purchase per user basis and it's going to involve quite a number of users
    2. the central file in BIM360 might not always be the most up to date ones as users needs to upload them specifically? (needs verification)

What are the cons?
    The cons are: Azure wont work. Full stop.

There simply isnt a way to do it. Revit files arent like word documents, where its simply check in / check out. You arent going to use Azure with workshared Revit files. Nor Sharepoint. Nor One Drive. Nor Dropbox, Box, or Sharefile.

BIM360 works.

Revit Server works, but its LAN/WAN, behind firewall only, unless you are keen to do some hacking, and supporting (and living on the edge, in a stupid way).

Panzura and Nasuni technically work, but there is a big cost/setup initiative, and there is hardware and software involved.

Clarity (from ImaginIT) also allows some of this functionality, piggy backed on Revit Server.

Full VDI where the users are moving, and the file isnt.

I know what youre thinking, after reading this. "This simply cant be right... nothing is this limited, IT and infrastructure wise." Yeah, Revit files are strange animals, with how they work. You simply cant host them the way you can with a lot of other file types, and have them stay uncorrupted.

Welcome to the game!

Forum Addict
    Current Local Time

I personally think BIM360 is a better platform as there are also coordination and collaboration tools as well.

ProjectWise is another choice but I do not think it allows worksharing.

I think the platform of choice in Australia for some time was ACONNEX but I have no idea if this supports workshared revit files, I have a feeling that it is mostly just a check in/out type doc system more for AutoCAD and other DOCS than RVT worksharing.
    Last edited by Karalon10; October 23rd, 2020 at 07:40 AM.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Karalon10 View Post
    I personally think BIM360 is a better platform as there are also coordination and collaboration tools as well.

ProjectWise is another choice but I do not think it allows worksharing.

I think the platform of choice in Australia for some time was ACONNEX but I have no idea if this supports workshared revit files, I have a feeling that it is mostly just a check in/out type doc system more for AutoCAD and other DOCS than RVT worksharing.
    Aconex is depository / registry / transmittal service for project files and documents, it does not work for Revit worksharing.

Current Local Time
    01:48 PM

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensates View Post

What are the cons?
    1. At most, if you buy individual licenses, it will cost less than $20US per week per user. But it sounds like you have lots of users...BIM 360 Design is sold in packs: 10, 25, 100...and as you buy packs, the per user cost goes down

2. The central file is ALWAYS up to date. What you may be referring to is the "published" versions of the Revit files that appear on the BIM 360 portal...this is where others can view the Revit files, 2D sheets and 3D models on any browser or on any mobile iOS or Android, with no plug ins, and no need to make PDF's just so others can view them. This publishing allows users to decide when they are ready to share with a larger audience.

Bottom line; BIM 360 Design is way more than "just" a worksharing platform. It's a communication and collaboration platform for viewing, markups, issue tracking, , access control, version control, version compare, approval workflows, reporting, and more, that comes with unlimited storage for all your project files.