Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Collaborate on a Revit Central File

1.    #11
    Current Local Time
    12:07 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Just dropping the file on a share in the cloud will not work, you will need Revit Server for that (free software which comes with Revit)

Install it on a cloud Windows server and it will work perfectly if all the connecting people have decent(>30Mbit) internet connections.
    If the team is small you can use A360, it saves a lot of time setting up, and can be cheaper in the end.

But an Azure server costs around 200 dollars a month and setting it up will cost you about 4 hours. (3k a year)
    10 A360 licenses will cost a lot more. (10k a year)
    Last edited by Marcel Jansen; October 26th, 2020 at 03:51 PM.

2.    #12
    Current Local Time
    03:07 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Jansen View Post
    use A360
    The is no A360 any longer...it's all BIM 360, and they are different technologies.

3.    #13
    Current Local Time
    07:07 AM

Appreciate all the feedback so far

Quote Originally Posted by Scott D Davis View Post
    1. At most, if you buy individual licenses, it will cost less than $20US per week per user. But it sounds like you have lots of users...BIM 360 Design is sold in packs: 10, 25, 100...and as you buy packs, the per user cost goes down

2. The central file is ALWAYS up to date. What you may be referring to is the "published" versions of the Revit files that appear on the BIM 360 portal...this is where others can view the Revit files, 2D sheets and 3D models on any browser or on any mobile iOS or Android, with no plug ins, and no need to make PDF's just so others can view them. This publishing allows users to decide when they are ready to share with a larger audience.

Bottom line; BIM 360 Design is way more than "just" a worksharing platform. It's a communication and collaboration platform for viewing, markups, issue tracking, , access control, version control, version compare, approval workflows, reporting, and more, that comes with unlimited storage for all your project files.
    Thank you for the explanation.

4.    #14
    Forum Addict
    Current Local Time
    09:07 AM

On the negative side of BIM 360 - everything you put on there is being run over by AI and machine learning, so who knows where that will lead.

5.    #15
    Current Local Time
    05:07 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Karalon10 View Post
    On the negative side of BIM 360 - everything you put on there is being run over by AI and machine learning, so who knows where that will lead.
    Im curious where you heard that, or what youve seen in the way of evidence that its true?

There was a short conversation on Twitter where someone made a similar assumption, and the response from someone at Autodesk was:

Quote Originally Posted by KyleBernhardt
    Doing so would violate our data privacy policy, so no we're not doing that. Totally agree though that GAN holds the most promise for training ML-driven specialized AI routines. We've successfully proved it out in special projects with explicitly modified data use consent.
    Are you saying youve seen something to the contrary, or is this tweet based on an assumption?

6.    #16
    Forum Addict
    Current Local Time

The data privacy policy only applies to personal data (so for example the data attached to your autodesk account) and not to BIM 360 projects that are published.

Having a ML program look over your project and "learn" from it would only violate data protection laws if it actually shared the information that would then be identifiable to a specific project.

From what I saw of Generative Design and ML at the last Autodesk University, ML already does this and more (without having to disclose diddly about a specific project)

In fact AI is already running on it, because that is how it generates the clash matrix, for example.

As for evidence....I mean....I cant say I have any either way. But be careful not to fall into the "on the spot" fallacy, as clearly I wont have access to "evidence"
    Pretty much every Big Data collector does it, you consent to it in sneaky ways, also technically it wouldn't be breaking privacy laws if access was given to a computer AI routine - the problem would be if that AI somehow was then hacked or somehow leaked information to humans.
    Last edited by Karalon10; October 26th, 2020 at 04:50 PM.

7.    #17
    Current Local Time
    05:07 PM

Got it. So what you meant to say is "its possible that it is happening" and not that you "know" its happening for sure, at all.

8.    #18
    Forum Addict
    Current Local Time

It's probable that it's happening and might be maybe a bit naive to not entertain the possibility of it, considering the prevalence of it in Big Data already.

What I meant to say, is exactly what I said, how you interpret it, is up to you.

I did not claim to be a lawyer making a legal claim, rather I am on an internet discussion board discussing a topic and giving an opinion on something, and basing that on things I have seen and heard in the industry and filtering it through the bias of Big Data skepticism.

If someone from Autodesk was to chime in and categorically deny it taking place then I would be prone to changing my opinion.
    Last edited by Karalon10; October 26th, 2020 at 05:26 PM.

9.    #19
    Current Local Time
    06:07 PM

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karalon10 View Post
    If someone from Autodesk was to chime in and categorically deny it taking place then I would be prone to changing my opinion.
    Business Leader at Autodesk here to categorically deny that we are using customer data (both Work Product or Personally Identifiable Data) for ingestion into Machine Learning algorithms without customer consent. Why?

1. This would be a direct violation of our own Privacy Policy.
    2. Doing so anyways would be bad business, as it puts at stake the trust and confidence that you place in us to shepherd your data in the Autodesk Cloud. Regaining trust is one of the harder things to accomplish for a business like ours...ROI doesn't work out.

Hopefully that's clear.

In addition, we are definitely working on Machine Learning-driven AI at Autodesk, as talked about in other public places and conferences; it's clearly a powerful computing method that will help usher in the automation superpower we talk a lot of about. We've used real-world Projects to teach those routines, but only under explicit consent of an agreement separate from our Privacy Policy. BIM 360 Construction IQ is an example of an AI we trained with that type of an approach. Note that it was the metadata of Issues that trained that AI, as opposed to the work product of our Design Tools.

Thanks for the bat signal Aaron.

-Kyle

10.    #20
    Forum Addict
    Current Local Time

opinion officially changed

As you are here and maybe reading this thread, let me go into why that was my opinion.

I have quite a bit of contact with players from all sorts of different disciplines, some very prestigious (like well known Swiss watch making companies, not naming any names) and some just small local businesses. I am referring now to a specific local market and not Global markets but some of those business are international business.

This "lack of trust" as you might refer to it, is echoed through pretty much every echelon of business level I just mentioned above. I am talking about cloud based services, and the lack of trust is not specifically targeted against Autodesk but the "industry" of cloud based storage, and data collection, security (especially for some of the more prestigious "giants" I specifically did not name drop) and also for public infrastructure, or high security projects like say prisons, banks, nuclear plants and projects of that nature that have very reasonable and logical concerns regarding security and working on the cloud. In addition the standards for data privacy are not globally aligned and I know that Autodesk Specifically has spent some time and effort to align to the more strict Swiss market in the not so distant past.

I would say that the more vocal Autodesk is about the fact they specifically do not use AI in the nature mentioned above, and also the security of their service - the better - simply because of what I have had relayed to me through my contacts.
    Last edited by Karalon10; October 28th, 2020 at 09:27 AM.