Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't see it in the view? Here's 33 reasons maybe why

Current Local Time
    03:27 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    My elevation view went blank and I couldn't find a thing. No levels, geometry, etc. And this view was created in my template and hadn't been edited so I was stumped.

After starting the project and linking in a cad file, I had at some point done a "Zoom All." Well the extents of the CAD file were reasonable in the X and Y planes so Zoom Extents worked fine in plan. But the Z axis was off the charts so my elevation view was zoomed out half way to the moon. Everything was technically still visible in the view, but it barely registered as a pixel so my screen appeared blank. And no amount of zooming around was changing anything.

I only discovered it after hiding the CAD file in view and then Zoom Extents and everything came back. And now that I know where to look I can just make out a spec that is the entire project off in the distance. If I can find the spec, I can zoom back in to it.
    Last edited by DerrenC; February 14th, 2014 at 10:21 PM.

"RFO 2012 Spelling Bee Champion"
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by DerrenC View Post
    I only discovered it after hiding the CAD file in view and then Zoom Extents and everything came back. And now that I know where to look I can just make out a spec that is the entire project off in the distance. If I can find the spec, I can zoom back in to it.
    Great solution with hiding the link so you can find your model again.

Can you alter the DWG file and remove the extreme Z value? Thats what I had to do. I even asked the civil people why they were connecting sanitary waste to the ISS, I wasnt aware that ware in our scope of work. http://www.revitforum.org/tutorials-...g-extents.html

Current Local Time
    02:27 PM

thanks a lot.. you posted this 2011 still helping people like us today

"I am NOT a Revit tutor!"
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by philliano View Post
    thanks a lot.. you posted this 2011 still helping people like us today
    thanks! And welcome to the forum!! I always enjoy getting credit for posting a plagiarized document

Current Local Time
    12:27 AM

Okay I found another, though it may appear to fall under number 3 it isn't actually obscured...

MEP has this crazy 'hidden lines' setting that obscures other MEP stuff around plumbing fixtures... I lost some short conduits, which I could see if I hovered over, just not in the view!!

Current Local Time

Thank you Dave for identifying these potential problems. This helpful tip along with a two page document from Autodesk University called 'Where's my chair' was presented to my staff in a Revit training session yesterday. The AU document listed 61 reasons my chair might not be visible in my Contract Document. While helpful and enlightening, I couldn't help but be quite angry that Autodesk has created a product with so many inadvertent means to issue a set of Contract Documents that might not display a critical element, that could directly result in an expensive Change Order. I find it unacceptable as an Architectural Firm Owner and one who Stamps and signs Contract Documents that Autodesk would create software with so many ways for a user to create an error, and then be proud to include it in an AU Top Ten Tips & Tricks for Revit 2013 document. I'm old enough and hands on enough to have produced Contract Documents with ink on linen, plastic lead on mylar, with GDS, with almost every version of AutoCAD, and now my third version of Revit. This isn't right Autodesk. You need to make it not so easy to make such basic mistakes. Our firm spent time creating automation for AutoCad to make sure layer visibility and contents of layers were consistent and appropriate for each type of drawing. And of course I never drafted an object by hand that didn't print...
    Don't be proud that theres 61 ways for something not to print!

Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time

I wouldn't characterize many of the reasons the chair could go missing as inadvertent. Many of them would require a diabolical desire to screw with co-workers or your project. Like creating a chair family with no geometry in it, how practical. That document was based on an activity people could take part in at AU. It was a test of knowledge about the intricacies of Revit.

Give me two minutes or less at your desk while you aren't looking and I can make you think you've lost your mind with AutoCAD or Revit just by changing a couple settings. That doesn't make the software bad, it just means some people can't be trusted

The blame must be shared too...most if not all the ways things can be hidden is in the software because enough users asked for it. For example, the ability to Hide in View was resisted for quite awhile by the developers. They have to provide support for the product so they are torn between fulfilling a wish and creating yet another way we can learn to regret what we asked for.
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; December 6th, 2014 at 11:02 PM.

Current Local Time
    10:27 PM

So, is there an updated version of this list lately? As a document?

Current Local Time
    06:27 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
    I wouldn't characterize many of the reasons the chair could go missing as inadvertent. Many of them would require a diabolical desire to screw with co-workers or your project. Like creating a chair family with no geometry in it, how practical. That document was based on an activity people could take part in at AU. It was a test of knowledge about the intricacies of Revit.
    Is that activity similar to the Marbles exercise from a while back? Was it at this year's AU or previous? Curiosity, the cat and all that mess.

Give me two minutes or less at your desk while you aren't looking and I can make you think you've lost your mind with AutoCAD or Revit just by changing a couple settings. That doesn't make the software bad, it just means some people can't be trusted
    it's called April Fools! I made my boss' CAD talk one day. it is funny enough to hear the computer voice for easy things like Line - but wait until it can't pronounce it and has to spell it out: A E C S E T P A L L E T G R O U P

The blame must be shared too...most if not all the ways things can be hidden is in the software because enough users asked for it. For example, the ability to Hide in View was resisted for quite awhile by the developers. They have to provide support for the product so they are torn between fulfilling a wish and creating yet another way we can learn to regret what we asked for.
    Revit is also 15 years old at this point. The way it is used has changed over the years and the capabilities of computers have changed a lot. I have more power in my phone than the computer I started college with - which was before there was a Revit. There was a discussion at RTC this year with Paul Aubin and a couple of the Revit dev team and they made a comment along the same lines. They are working with 15 years of code. Some things exist because it was the only way to do it at the time and if they were able to start completely over with the code they could make huge productivity gains but that is a monumental task.

Current Local Time
    05:27 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
    This.

Some of the methods they used in the *game* were so nefarious, it took 10 or 11 attempts just to realize where the chair could be. If someone on one of your project teams manages to take the chair, export it to a DWG, link it back in, place it 400 feet above the level on a secondary design option (in a linked file), alter the view range, deactivate the view and place a Generic Annotation on top of it on the sheet, while also pinning the viewport so you cant select it.... You cant blame the software for that kind of crap.