Thread: Calculating weights to stiffeners and steel connections in schedules

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    04:27 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Calculating weights to stiffeners and steel connections in schedules

Hi,

I have attached a small test file I'm playing around with as I'm trying to work out how to
    combine the weights of entire structural steel components for future projects.

I have no issue with the columns and the steel beam scheduling but I'm really
    struggling with the getting the weights of the stiffeners and the structural connections.
    I initially use material takeoff for the stiffeners but nothing seems to show up in the 'Mark'
    columns and there is no category for structural connections.

I have used the generic schedule/quantities, which does have categories for the stiffener and connection
    details but I'm struggling to assign densities to them and then a formula that would give me the
    correct weight for the stiffeners and connections (in metrics).

I thought it would be a straight forward exercise but I'm finding it isn't the case.

Would anyone have an idea how to deal with this?
    I'm getting frustrated with not being able to Calculate the weights for the stiffeners & connections.

regards
    Attached Files Attached Files

2.    #2
    Forum Addict
    Current Local Time
    02:27 AM

Without having looked at the test file, I have the following question for you;

Have you used the density of the material?
    In the material properties you can modify the physical properties to include the density, then when you make your materials list you should be able to schedule out the density and apply it in a formula using the volume of the object.

3.    #3
    Current Local Time
    04:27 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Karalon10 View Post
    Without having looked at the test file, I have the following question for you;

Have you used the density of the material?
    In the material properties you can modify the physical properties to include the density, then when you make your materials list you should be able to schedule out the density and apply it in a formula using the volume of the object.
    When I've created the schedules from a material takeoff one of the category fields has been 'Material Volume' which I've been able to use with a formula to create the density, but when you create it the schedule using schedules/quantities the 'material volume' isn't available. This is where I get stuck because I dont know how to create the density using the limited fields available in the schedules/quantities.

4.    #4
    Forum Addict
    Current Local Time
    02:27 AM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    This is correct, if you want to see the material properties - for example the density, or any of the physical or thermal properties of that MATERIAL associated to the object, then you can only see those properties in the material take off schedule.

You could add a shared parameter apply it to structural connections, and then be able to extract that, If you made it a type parameter it would apply to all your family types with the same name (so then class your plates by material)

This information would have to be put in by hand (preferably in the family itself so it will be there for future projects) or in the project itself you can just add it in once and it will update for all your types in the list.

You also have the option of creating an "assembly" and this will allow you to create material takeoff for that assembly automatically. And I believe this method might actually give you both sets of parameters as a "multi category" schedule. Click on the plates, and beams/columns whatever you want to include in that assembly, and click on "create assembly". The assembly you just created will arrive in the project browser listed under "assemblies" and you can rename it here like "typical UB150 to UB200 connection" or...whatever you want. The if you right click on the assembly you just created (and renamed) you can "create assembly views" and in this you can select material takeoff
    Last edited by Karalon10; October 27th, 2020 at 08:50 AM.