Thread: Pinned Objects are simply editable and Revit Developers could Give A Sh*T.....

Current Local Time
    06:21 AM

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Pinned Objects are simply editable and Revit Developers could Give A Sh*T.....

I've gone through this before. I can't find the actual thread I had started on this but that's neither here nor there.

LET'S TRY THIS AGAIN....

This is happening throughout our latest job. I'm working with a sub out in India and they have a tendency to take my PINNED OBJECT, unpin it, and move it, or re-annotate it to suit their needs. I've already lectured them on this issue but English being their Second Language, I guess, can make coherency a difficult task....

Here's my bewilderment.....if the guy in India creates a simple Section View, when I try to move or VG change that Section View, I can't do so, unless I request Permission. So....I have to request permission to move or make changes to this guys Section View, but his team can come in and just move, re-annotate, rotate, make changes to an object I HAD PINNED???? WTF??? A SIMPLE SECTION VEIW, I can't make changes to unless I ask permission, yet....

Now...I'm the lead of this Project. I place a set of WSHP's from floor 3 through 16..I Pin these elements. I Annotate and Pin the Annotation....WHY TF does REVIT allow someone to come in and UNPIN this element or even the Annotation THAT HAS BEEN PINNED BY ME....to just come in and Unpin, Move, Make Changes to my Annotation, etc. without having to request my permission????

WHY THE F*CK would I PIN the damn thing if I didn't care if someone just randomly comes in, UNPIN'S the object, and starts making changes to my SH*T?

WHAT THE F*CK GOOD is PIN? IF PIN IS NO GOOD, DEVELOP SOMETHING WHERE SOME RANDOM MOTHERF*CKER CAN'T JUST COME IN AND START CHANGING MY SH*T......DON'T YOU F*CKING REVIT DEVS UNDERSTAND YET??? PIN MEANS, DON'T F*CK WITH THIS.....DON'T MOVE IT, DON'T RE-DIMENSION IT, DON'T RE-ANNOTATE IT, DON'T RE-NUMBER IT....AT LEAST WITHOUT REQUESTING PERMISSION FROM THE PERSON WHO PINNED IT.....WHAT THE F*CK IS THE DIFFICULTY.....SO BAN ME FROM THIS FORUM FOR HAVING A ****** OFF ATTITUDE FROM YOUR LACK OF OVERSIGHT....IT'S COST ME HOURS OF FIXING THIS OVERSIGHT because Revit Devs obviously don't work with their own software. The Original Rant, I had asked for some resolution +2 years ago....guess my little Mouse Pip Squeak effort didn't amount to much...

This is constantly happening throughout my jobs. I've Ranted about this before, OBVIOUSLY, REVIT DEV'S COULD GIVE A SH*T if this is fixed. If I Pin an Object, Pin an Element, Pin an Annotation, there's a reason I did that....there should be NO ONE INVOLVED with this job that can just come in and change my sh*t without my approval...comprende???

IF I PIN AN OBJECT, THAT MEANS I DON'T WANT NO-ONE....I MEAN NO-ONE....to come in and start moving or changing my SH*T around....DON'T THE REVIT DEV'S UNDERSTAND THIS?

Current Local Time
    04:21 AM

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I suggest.... decaf.

EDIT: In all seriousness, that was never the way Pins were intended to work. So... yeah. Sorry, youll just need to communicate with the team on what they shouldnt be moving. :shrug:
    Last edited by Twiceroadsfool; October 27th, 2020 at 03:10 AM.

Current Local Time
    05:21 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I think I must agree that, at the end of the day, it is ultimately your responsibility, or your employer's responsibility if you are not a direct supervisor. I have been in similar scenarios, and I understand the frustration. Users unpinning gridlines because they're trying to adjust the visual aspect of gridlines on that sheet, without understanding the difference between 2D and 3D extents, for example. Or, perhaps, unpinning a gridline and moving it, along with anything associated with it, because they're not aware of the relationships between certain elements.

At the end of the day, though, it's not really fair to fault the kid for sticking your car key in the socket because you failed to put a safety plug in beforehand. It's hard to wrap your mind around what seems common sense to you now, versus what was common sense to you 6 years ago. Turning an uniformed, untrained, or brand new employee loose on a full-blown project is just as irresponsible as giving an infant a car key in a room full of electrical outlets.

I myself, have stuck my car keys into far too many outlets by now, so I can't claim the high ground on the matter, but I'm learning from it, and I can't possibly fault someone for doing the same.

Current Local Time
    08:21 PM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Hand ball it straight back at them and tell them to make things right, and take any renumeration from the contract as compensation otherwise. It's not hard to look at previous plots to see where things were.
    I had to deal with overseas "cheaper" help a few years ago but as it was a complete false economy and frustrating as all h..., I ended up moving on. I like to enjoy my work but when faced with these brick walls it just isn't worth it to me.

Forum Addict
    Current Local Time

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Use worksets rather than pins, and dont give them permission to edit the workset...

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Karalon10 View Post
    Use worksets rather than pins, and dont give them permission to edit the workset...
    Maintaining ownership of view worksets would be a nightmare, not like worksets for modelled elements at all.

Current Local Time

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Pinning elements is not a do not edit lock. You are expecting something from a tool that it wasn't designed to do. Where did you learn this stuff and why are working with people that don't know how to play well in the sandbox? You can't expect Autodesk to fix your personnel and personal issues.

Current Local Time
    04:21 AM

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    First of all, let's take it down a notch.
    Please try to keep thing civil. This is not 8-chan.
    Second, as people have posted above, you're asking Pin to do something it wasn't intended to do.
    If you'd like to propose a new feature, please hop on over to the Revit Ideas page and either propose a new feature, or up-vote some that are already there.
    https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit...ab/most-recent
    (Here's a hint for you: search for "super-pin" and you'll find several Ideas that ask for what you're asking Pin to do.
    Thirdly, if you've
    already lectured them on this issue
    and they continue
    making changes to my SH*T
    , the answer is not in the software. Its in your relationship with your sub in India. If they are not following your instructions, I'd suggest finding another sub who will.
    If this firm insisted on detailing single-pane Windows when you spec'd triple-glaze, would you be yelling at Pella for having single pane in their inventory?
    Finally, I can assure you that the REVIT DEV'S DO GIVE A SH*T. It's just that your idea isn't as important as you think it is. Many, many other firms have found procedures to avoid this "problem."
    If you are as passionate about Revit development as your post seems to indicate, I'd suggest you sign up for the Revit beta program and make your voice heard there. You'll be talking directly to the "DEV'S" and you'll see how much they care. And, BTW, it probably won't help if you SCREAM AT THEM and INSULT THEM!!!!

Current Local Time

One thing I have always maintained with every firm I have implemented a software with is you can't use the software as a policing tool for your staff. Trying to always ends up making things slower and less productive while never actually achieving the goal of policing the staff. Training, standards, and documentation are all the best tools you can invest your time and money into to solve those issues. No one likes to hear it because it isn't a magic bullet but the long term gains will out perform the short term "solution".

Current Local Time
    02:21 AM

This is why I don't outsource. You should join some of the Revit groups on Facebook. They are fill with people in India, Africa and other country which can build a quick building but they don't have Architectural background to perform the task. When you ask them to do the work, they will in kind give you something else. So it is your responsibility to choose people that have background in Architecture or you will end up with random dude that only have few hours of training, give you sloppy work and more headache. It isn't worth it to save couple of bucks and more time to fix their mistake.