Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Level Heads in different Elevation Views

1.    #11
    Forum Addict
    Current Local Time
    04:10 AM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I have seen MEP create "plenum" levels, but I agree this could be managed with a named reference plane rather than a level.

All of those T.O. levels could easily be replaced with named reference planes instead of levels.

What I would love to see is a book on "good modeling techniques" that included all these kind of best practices, now THAT would be handy for new users. Probably just as important as the Revit Structures etc handbooks...

This is something that is not often handled in training courses (certainly not Youtube or online content) and will only be handled in a training course given by someone that uses Revit in production, which is not always the case.

2.    #12
    Current Local Time
    12:10 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karalon10 View Post
    I have seen MEP create "plenum" levels, but I agree this could be managed with a named reference plane rather than a level.

All of those T.O. levels could easily be replaced with named reference planes instead of levels.

What I would love to see is a book on "good modeling techniques" that included all these kind of best practices, now THAT would be handy for new users. Probably just as important as the Revit Structures etc handbooks...

This is something that is not often handled in training courses (certainly not Youtube or online content) and will only be handled in a training course given by someone that uses Revit in production, which is not always the case.
    We recently started offering our full training as a video series. And (of course) it is full of what we say the Best Practices are. We might get it in to a book/guide one day, but im not sure itll be an actual publication for sale in book stores, vs something clients just purchase from us.

3.    #13
    Current Local Time
    10:10 AM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karalon10 View Post
    As a MEP user, a separate level for plenum spaces is usually necessary if those must be in your model. Spaces are calculated a specific height above a level, and the Base Offset Above Level parameterdoes not affect where the space is computed. Getting a complete volume is not the easiest thing to do, but having a separate level makes is easier to produce cleaner space geometry in plenums above complex ceilings. For many things, named reference planes are much preferable, but spaces are not one of those times.

4.    #14
    Current Local Time
    11:10 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Roffe View Post
    As a MEP user, a separate level for plenum spaces is usually necessary if those must be in your model. Spaces are calculated a specific height above a level, and the Base Offset Above Level parameter does not affect where the space is computed. Getting a complete volume is not the easiest thing to do, but having a separate level makes is easier to produce cleaner space geometry in plenums above complex ceilings. For many things, named reference planes are much preferable, but spaces are not one of those times.
    I appreciate this input as a particular application of levels. I think it illustrates my earlier point to use levels as design data, but not reporting of model information (as the OP was trying to do). Architecturally it gets messy to have multiple levels when a story has several variations, but I see your point with the mechanical calculations.

5.    #15
    Forum Addict
    Current Local Time
    04:10 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Roffe View Post
    As a MEP user, a separate level for plenum spaces is usually necessary if those must be in your model. Spaces are calculated a specific height above a level, and the Base Offset Above Level parameterdoes not affect where the space is computed. Getting a complete volume is not the easiest thing to do, but having a separate level makes is easier to produce cleaner space geometry in plenums above complex ceilings. For many things, named reference planes are much preferable, but spaces are not one of those times.
    Yes I had not considered MEP spaces for analytics, I agree with you, and Plenum levels make sense in that context