Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Level Heads in different Elevation Views

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    01:05 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Level Heads in different Elevation Views

Hi all,
    I am struggling with my elevation views with level heads. Below I have attached the elevation views of the North and South side, but only want the Level Heads & Level Lines (for T.O. DOOR) to show up in the South elevation view (the storefront), but not the North Elevation view (backside brick). Every time I try to hide it in the North elevation, the level line keeps shifting in the South Elevation, even when I unlock the line. Is there a way where I can just hide a specific level line for a certain elevation view? Thank you
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snip Level Head 2.PNG 
Views:	37 
Size:	3.8 KB 
ID:	39639   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snip Level Head 1.PNG 
Views:	22 
Size:	3.8 KB 
ID:	39640  
    Last edited by Grizzlymoe; November 2nd, 2020 at 08:21 PM.

2.    #2
    Current Local Time

In other views, these Level Heads pop up hundreds of feet away from the structure, and if I delete it, it deletes the entire Level Head from all views.

3.    #3
    Current Local Time

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I don't recommend using Level elements for this application. Levels are model design datums and as such have 3D implications (like showing up in multiple views). While you could create multiple types and have tons of fun filtering and/or hiding them in different view types, I think you've discovered the challenge of this method.

Instead I recommend using the Spot Elevation tag (Annotation Tab), which is designed to report elevation information of model objects. It works in both plans (e.g. counter height, partial height wall elevation, ceiling height) and in elevations/sections (top of door, bottom of awning, etc.). As an annotation, it only appears in the views it is placed, so you don't risk it showing in other locations.

4.    #4
    Current Local Time

The first paragraph is the exact issue I am having! Perfect, thank you. I tried this on some areas and would you recommend using a "Text Box" for inputting the level name on the areas, and copying and pasting throughout the project to get consistency for where the labeling of the level is. Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by CADiva View Post
    I don't recommend using Level elements for this application. Levels are model design datums and as such have 3D implications (like showing up in multiple views). While you could create multiple types and have tons of fun filtering and/or hiding them in different view types, I think you've discovered the challenge of this method.

Instead I recommend using the Spot Elevation tag (Annotation Tab), which is designed to report elevation information of model objects. It works in both plans (e.g. counter height, partial height wall elevation, ceiling height) and in elevations/sections (top of door, bottom of awning, etc.). As an annotation, it only appears in the views it is placed, so you don't risk it showing in other locations.

5.    #5
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlymoe View Post
    The first paragraph is the exact issue I am having! Perfect, thank you. I tried this on some areas and would you recommend using a "Text Box" for inputting the level name on the areas, and copying and pasting throughout the project to get consistency for where the labeling of the level is. Thank you
    The only thing I don't like about the spot elevations is that you can't do an upper (or lower) line for description, but I use the Prefix/Suffix values in the tag properties for that purpose. I try really hard to avoid floating text.

6.    #6
    Current Local Time
    02:05 AM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    IF your Level lines are showing up "hundreds of feet away from the structure", you probably want to re-adjust the Level Extents.
    Try selecting a Level, right-clicking and then select "Maximize 3D Extents"
    Try that on just one Level first.
    It depends on how clean your model is if this is a good idea or a bad idea.
    If you have CAD crap in your model, your "3D Extents" are likely to be whacked out and huge.
    This most often happens when you've got a CAD Site plan linked in.
    If that's the case, go into an Exterior Elevation and select each Level. Then grab the open circle at the end of the line labeled 3D & drag it back to be closer to your building.
    Here's a little-known trick that helps when doing that.:
    You often need to zoom in close to be able to select the 3D circle. But then you need to zoom out to drag it.
    The trick is that while you're dragging the end of the Level, you can move your mouse past the edge of the drawing window and the let go of the mouse button. You'll still be dragging the Level without holding down the mouse button & now you can zoom out while still dragging.

7.    #7
    Forum Addict
    Current Local Time
    06:05 PM

There are several ways to hide elevation lines. It is essentially just masking them in that view. As mentioned earlier you can not erase the line as it is a "host plane". This host plane is the host for elements modeled on that level, so if you delete it you may lose elements, or in their associations to that host. In addition it hosts views, so your plan view for that level will also be erased. In general, you only delete a level if it no longer exists or serves no purpose in your model.

If you just want to hide it, you could just hide the element in the view, select the level, and type "EH" (element hide). This will hide it in that view only but the level is not deleted. This is probably the worst way of hiding it however as it can be a bit harder to find later.

You could also use filters to select that level type for example and hide it using a view filter.

8.    #8
    Current Local Time

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    As a general rule: If you have more than ONE level per building story... you have too many.

9.    #9
    Current Local Time

Agreed.
    For instance, in the screen shots, there's a "T.O. DOOR", T.O. AWNING" and "B.O. AWNING"
    Those are all handled better by Dimensions or Spot Elevations rather than Levels.
    Worse, all three of those are blue, which means they have Views associated with them.
    At the VERY least, when (if) you create a Level for that purpose, uncheck the Make Plan View box so you don't have a whole bunch of unnecessary Views trashing up your Project Browser.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MakePlanView.PNG 
Views:	8 
Size:	2.8 KB 
ID:	39641
    But again, its not recommended to use Levels for this.

Edit: Forgot to mention, you can delete the "extra" Views from your Project Browser. There's likely to be a Floor Plan, a Ceiling Plan, and maybe a Structural Pan. Once you've deleted those two (or three), the Level will remain, but it will turn black.
    Last edited by DaveP; November 3rd, 2020 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Info about deleting

10.    #10
    Current Local Time

IMVHO, the views in the Project Browser are the least of the problems. Even a Level with no views, is still a hosting Level. Thatr just turns a model to trash, basically instantly.