Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Managing Wall Type STRUCTURE Dimensions

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    01:38 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Managing Wall Type STRUCTURE Dimensions

I'm converting a slew of wall types to Metric counterparts, and the dimensions of the layers in the structure definition will all need to be converted. Arduous and time consuming task. I'm hoping there are some tips from this group that I haven't discovered on how to manage the internal data in a more universal way:

Can global parameters be used in system family 'layer's? This would be my ideal approach, because once it's applied, it's reviewable by anyone on the team.

Can system family 'layers' be queried/edited via Dynamo? We don't use dynamo much, due to the version/installed package management hoops, but I'd be happy to use it for the initial setup of types.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WALL LAYER DIMS.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	39707

2.    #2
    Current Local Time
    03:38 AM

Doable with Dynamo, according to Mr Pierson:

Image attached is what he cooked up while we (he) was just checking. So, you could sort your Structure Layers by material, and set their thicknesses with a Clockwork Node.

Incidentally, remind me, because i think you guys have Px Tools already, yes? If so, ill send you our Dynamo Definitions. It auto manages the packages for everyone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-11-16_16-36-35.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	504.4 KB 
ID:	39708  

3.    #3
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    Doable with Dynamo, according to Mr Pierson:

Image attached is what he cooked up while we (he) was just checking. So, you could sort your Structure Layers by material, and set their thicknesses with a Clockwork Node.

Incidentally, remind me, because i think you guys have Px Tools already, yes? If so, ill send you our Dynamo Definitions. It auto manages the packages for everyone.
    I was curious if i could do it, as we have a need (very soon) to do the same thing on all 650 wall types we have. Since John had already done the hard work of finding the correct Nodes to use, here it is: Tested it in our template and it works like a champ. The Dynamo probably isnt the cleanest, because im not a "guru" so much as a "Wrangler."

A few notes:

1. In my approach, i SPECIFICALLY wanted it to search by Material name FIRST, since searching by Width wont be sufficient (many 5/8" materials),nor will searching strictly by layer number.

2. I wanted to SPECIFICALLY tell it values to replace, because they arent all 1 to 1. Our 6 inch studs become 152.4mm, which is changed to 150mm. Our 5/8" GWB turns in to 15.9mm, which is changed to 16mm.

So, with this approach, i have to run the graph about 30 times (over 30 different materials, etc), but its doing 700 wall types, thereabouts. But i wanted it to work, this way. If you are good with Lists (im not) its probably quite easy to make it search for multiples and replace multiples at once. I believe it has do to with Dictionaries. But i suck so bad at it, that ill just run it 30 times, and still be done crazy fast.

Requires Clockwork. Hope it helps! (If you want help with it, you know where to find us...)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Parallax Team-09-Template Prep-Wall Types-Edit Thicknesses_v1.00.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	428.9 KB 
ID:	39710  
    Attached Files Attached Files

4.    #4
    Current Local Time

By the way- I didnt do it yet (but i will before we run the graph, for sure): The Material Thickness shows up in the Materials Names, as well. Ill bet the rename could be tossed in the middle of the graph. Our naming standard has the overall wall thickness in the Wall Type Name as well, but i would do that one in a separate graph.

5.    #5
    Current Local Time

Sadly, we do NOT have Px Tools, as our budget has been frozen for 2020, and probably Q1 of 2021, as well (looking at YOU, COVID)

6.    #6
    Current Local Time

I agree with needing to make judicial changes, where the Imperial/metric conversion leaves odd units. I'm not strong on lacing/lists either, so I'm with you on doing it in passes, but that's okay with me, too.

Thanks for pointing me in the direction I need to move in!

7.    #7
    Current Local Time

Gotcha, gotcha. In that case, the Webinar John did with Jeff (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRTAse0aY3g ) actually shows some sneaky ways to manage the packages, sans Px Tools.

Or if your IT folks have even a SMIDGE of usefulness, i can send you a super ghetto Powershell that they can plop in Startup on all machines, and itll automate updating packages as long as you drop them in a network folder when you want updates.

8.    #8
    Forum Addict
    Current Local Time
    07:38 PM

You can just "transfer project standards" and transfer your walls from your old imperial unit project to your new metric unit template. The conversion will happen automatically.

9.    #9
    Current Local Time

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karalon10 View Post
    You can just "transfer project standards" and transfer your walls from your old imperial unit project to your new metric unit template. The conversion will happen automatically.
    Thats not the issue.

If you do projects in the US and also overseas where they use metric, it isnt "just the units" that change: The materials themselves are different. A "straight conversion" on a 6 inch stud, is 152.4mm. That isnt what gets used some places in the world. They use 150mm.

10.    #10
    Current Local Time

Aaron, I'm getting a corrupted file error when trying to open your .dyn - any chance you can email or FTP it to me?