Thread: How to import furnitures and fixtures from websites like Amazon, Lowe's etc.

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    06:34 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

How to import furnitures and fixtures from websites like Amazon, Lowe's etc.

Newbie here! I want to use some furnitures and fixtures from Amazon, Low's and other websites in a room model. I don't know how. Can anyone help me?

2.    #2
    Current Local Time
    07:34 AM

I have no idea what furniture and fixtures you are talking about, but if you can download them in an rfa file that that your best option. Everything else will slow down your project. You can import Sketchup of other 3D files as well, but I would not recommend that for sure.

So tell us a bit more about what kind of files you are talking about and maybe we can help you along.

3.    #3
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Deurloo View Post
    I have no idea what furniture and fixtures you are talking about, but if you can download them in an rfa file that that your best option. Everything else will slow down your project. You can import Sketchup of other 3D files as well, but I would not recommend that for sure.

So tell us a bit more about what kind of files you are talking about and maybe we can help you along.
    Thank you so much for answering.
    Apologies for being unclear. A client has sent product list from various websites (amazon,lowe's, homedepot, etc.). He wants me to use these exact furnitures and fixtures for 3d modelling. These products are not available in .rvt format. Is there anything I can do now?

4.    #4
    Current Local Time
    07:34 AM

Ahh I see, so you basically got some product info and need to find the 3D files for that furniture.

I would say build them yourself, but I know that is not easy for furniture, so most of the time I don't bother either if I need something specific.

First I would look at the manufacturers website, some of them have either .rvt files of maybe SketchUp files. Sketchup files you can import in Revit (make a furniture family and load the SketchUp file in there). This will work, but will impact the speed of your project even with small projects.

If there is nothing from the manufacturer I'd say google it "<brand an type> Revit file" and look at the SketchUp marketplace. If you have 3Ds files you could probably convert them some how into something Revit understands.

It will be a lot of searching the web en trouble with file formats that you can't do anything with for sure, I did a small project like that a while ago as well

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	39741  

5.    #5
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Deurloo View Post
    Ahh I see, so you basically got some product info and need to find the 3D files for that furniture.

I would say build them yourself, but I know that is not easy for furniture, so most of the time I don't bother either if I need something specific.

First I would look at the manufacturers website, some of them have either .rvt files of maybe SketchUp files. Sketchup files you can import in Revit (make a furniture family and load the SketchUp file in there). This will work, but will impact the speed of your project even with small projects.

If there is nothing from the manufacturer I'd say google it "<brand an type> Revit file" and look at the SketchUp marketplace. If you have 3Ds files you could probably convert them some how into something Revit understands.

It will be a lot of searching the web en trouble with file formats that you can't do anything with for sure, I did a small project like that a while ago as well

Thank you so much for helping me out. You are the kindest person I get to know today.

6.    #6
    Current Local Time
    01:34 AM

Those websites don't have families. I would try the manufacturers (or similar) directly before rolling your own.