Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revit 2D Confrontation / Review

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    09:25 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Revit 2D Confrontation / Review

The question is really simple.

I have a design that is the "actual state" of the building.

In the 2D DATA i need to ALSO specify differences between

"actual state"

and

"legal documentation deposited"

What I usually would do is to make another design near the floor and confront in the sheet environment.

This is not possible in revit since the lists of door for example will result duplicates, the walls starts to have issues and construction problems. etc etc...

Is there a way to have configurations / review?

What I would need is

Actual design
    Legal design

And switch from one to another and confront them on sheet environment.

I already tried phases and design variations.

They allow me to add and remove walls, but not to modify the position of an existing wall.

How should I solve this? Thanks in advice if you came reading down here.

2.    #2
    Current Local Time

OK just so I understand, you need drawings that show the difference between existing drawings (the ones from a permit for example) and the actual building as it is right now?

If so, that is a tricky one to do in 1 model I think. But people in here have some cool idea's so you might get a simple solution.

3.    #3
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Deurloo View Post
    OK just so I understand, you need drawings that show the difference between existing drawings (the ones from a permit for example) and the actual building as it is right now?

If so, that is a tricky one to do in 1 model I think. But people in here have some cool idea's so you might get a simple solution.

Ok, let's see if with an image it is more clear.

What I need to obtain in 2D Sheet view is

1 View of the actual state of the building
    1 View of the technical legal documentation deposited

This is an example i made with paint of what i expect.

Obviously making a second file a second project and then merge the 2D would do the trick but is the "stupid way" and I don't accept that from a 2500 software !

This is an example.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	legal vs actual.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	39888

4.    #4
    Current Local Time

mmm, I would probably go with phases to be honest where you add or demolish walls if needed in one of the two states. For your door schedule you then just have to filter on the phase and you will get the right number of doors.

But I have never had a difference in those 2 states in a building, we do have something similar in Holland, but we can do that with a line and a hatch on the actual state to get rid of some m2 for the daylight calculations for example and usually on a separate plan as well.

5.    #5
    Current Local Time

The problem with phase is that they can indeed edit the design, but I have to remove and add new walls. That's time consuming.

Design Variants are nice, I can indeed have two "designs" but it edit ALL the views, and i cannot choose to have a view set on a particular variant. That's a pity.

6.    #6
    Current Local Time

Time consuming, maybe, but you have something that is not standard, so that takes some extra time, no matter how you do it. Even in AutoCAD you would have to add those lines in 1 dwg and not in the other and do 2 calculations for the area's and make 2 sets of sheets etc.

With Design Options I'm not sure that will work with your door schedule (can we choose a design option in a schedule, don't think so). But you can choose to see a Design Option in specific Sheets, that's what they are for, to show multiple options on the same plan. You can even do that in a View Template if you want.

7.    #7
    Current Local Time

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Schedules get a VV/VG dialog when there are DO's in the project specifically for this.

OP, you need to go into the VV/VG of your Views, not control your DO's with the dropdown, that one is meant for telling Revit which option you are working in.

8.    #8
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bjorn_K View Post
    Schedules get a VV/VG dialog when there are DO's in the project specifically for this.

OP, you need to go into the VV/VG of your Views, not control your DO's with the dropdown, that one is meant for telling Revit which option you are working in.
    Time consuming, maybe, but you have something that is not standard, so that takes some extra time, no matter how you do it. Even in AutoCAD you would have to add those lines in 1 dwg and not in the other and do 2 calculations for the area's and make 2 sets of sheets etc.

With Design Options I'm not sure that will work with your door schedule (can we choose a design option in a schedule, don't think so). But you can choose to see a Design Option in specific Sheets, that's what they are for, to show multiple options on the same plan. You can even do that in a View Template if you want.

So both of your comments were helpful.

I had to proceed like this:

From bottom to top or top to botton, depend on floors dependencies:

Cut from main model to the
    Actual building option

and copy everything like this

After we have done, copy and paste the whole model in the

Legal design option

Now you have two independent design.

From the view tab of the view you can choose wether the view is about the actual or the legal design.

That was the trick.

9.    #9
    Current Local Time

Ouch, that sounds like a terrible way to do that, why would you have everything double instead of just putting the stuff that changes in the different phase?
    What if something changes that effects both your options, now you have to do everything twice, and I for one hate to do something twice.

10.    #10
    Current Local Time

Ouch, that sounds like a terrible way to do that, why would you have everything double instead of just putting the stuff that changes in the different phase?
    What if something changes that effects both your options, now you have to do everything twice, and I for one hate to do something twice.
    Because this will not solve the problem. Design Option operates as a Boolean operator, the item you want to change can exist, or not, but you cannot have another position with the same wall and this is a major problem.

Now imagine I have all the views, rooms, names ,all the dimensions that are the "master" of the design and the project and everything is already made and ready in sheet.

And then the legal design that I have to redesign just for the sole purpose of confrontation. So the two designs are not linked together. One is for construction and real design the other is just for legal and check purposes.

So it will not happen that a modification will affect the legal design since this is acquired from paper and legal sheets and cannot be changed without a legal procedure.

It would have been nice to change walls in a configuration by moving them, and have this modification just in the specific design option. This is how it is done in whole professional cad for industrial design ( solidworks catia nx etc.. ) , sector I came from.

A design flow like this in my sector is seen just in CAD for hobbyists not professional CADs, this is really disappointing.
    Last edited by IamTheVector; December 31st, 2020 at 02:56 PM.