Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Places bar

1.    #11
    Current Local Time
    01:18 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    ...we have "Travel mode".....
    "Travel mode"? Can you go into more detail what exactly this means.....what settings you are using? I am most intrigued.

2.    #12
    Current Local Time
    03:18 PM

Quote Originally Posted by kingjosiah View Post
    "Travel mode"? Can you go into more detail what exactly this means.....what settings you are using? I am most intrigued.
    Haha, i wouldnt get too excited. I love it, and it works great for us, but it doesnt solve the "access the remote server from home" issue.

Our laptops have a BUNCH of things that reference materials on the Server:

Revit.ini (Places, Template Location, Family Template Location, Jobs server path)
    Desktop Shortcuts (To server and Proj directory)
    AutoCAD Shortcuts (To Profiles (ARG) stored on the network)
    Navisworks Paths (to default search sets, workspaces, etc)
    Windows Explorer (network shares all shown under THIS PC)

When we are leaving to go to a clients, or leaving to go to a conference, there is a shortcut we run called RELOCATE TO MOBILE. Its part of Gordon Prices Pragmatic Praxis Deployment Tools.

It takes ALL of those files/paths up above, and repaths them to local folders on the C drive. That works, because certain directories of things (Revit Libraries and templates, navis resources, AutoCAD Profiles, etc), are all mirrored to a discreet location on the C drive, at every login.

So, to follow Daves example...

When i am in the office, the Places dialogue has a folder called "Families." Its path is \\prlx\files\Revit\2021\Families.
    When i am traveling, the Places dialogue has the same folder called "Families." Its path is C:\Parallax\Revit\2021\Families, and the contents of that folder are identical tot eh copy on the server, from the last time i logged in while connected to the server.

Also, for instance, Windows Explorer: A bunch of the network Places are server shares that DONT mirror locally... When the machine is in travel mode, they disappear entirely, instead of showing as disconnected. Then when we run RELOCATE TO OFFICE they come back.

Ive been running this setup for... 9 years now? Its freaking fantastic. EVERYTHING looks identical when im out of the office. Revit, AutoCAD, Family Browser, Navis, etc. And it all works exactly the same.

People are all "its kludgy, i dont WANT the content locally," but i do want it locally. I dont want to pull large families across a WAN or VPN. That completely sucks for the users.

3.    #13
    Current Local Time
    04:18 PM

Aaron - nice system! What are you using to keep the local directories up-to-date with the server copies?

4.    #14
    Current Local Time
    03:18 PM

Quote Originally Posted by WVReviter View Post
    Aaron - nice system! What are you using to keep the local directories up-to-date with the server copies?
    The same system (Pragmatic Praxis) that handles the "relocation" also handles the Mirroring (and it uses Robocopy Mirror, so its not copying things that arent changed, which makes it decently fast).

Obviously its not intended to keep things up to date when people are away from the office for 10 months at a time, but there are ways to make it do unexpected things, haha.