Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New computer/graphics card issues with Revit 2019

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    03:04 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

New computer/graphics card issues with Revit 2019

Just recently got an upgraded computer (I also use it for video editing), here are the specs:

Intel Xeon Gold 6226, 12 cores, 2.70GHz
    NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000, 8GB
    64GB RAM
    1TB SSD

Our office is still using Revit 2019 and I am getting a lot of lag/blue spinning circles/etc. when zooming and panning around the overall floor plan in the current school project I am working on. Others in our office with much older computers do not have this problem in the same file. I have tried the newest graphics card driver from NVIDIA as well as the older tested driver that Autodesk recommends for Revit 2019 and both have this issue. The driver available by updating through the windows device manager seems to work a little better, but there are still some issues.

Is this problem just a result of incompatibilities between new hardware and old software? Or is there something else I am missing or can do to fix this? Thanks in advance.

2.    #2
    Current Local Time
    10:04 AM

Well if those others with much older computers have a 4.8Ghz processor in it then yeah your 2.7Ghz will lag behind a bit.
    What kind of specs do the others have, especially single core speeds?

3.    #3
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Deurloo View Post
    Well if those others with much older computers have a 4.8Ghz processor in it then yeah your 2.7Ghz will lag behind a bit.
    What kind of specs do the others have, especially single core speeds?
    Intel Xeon CPU E5-1650 v4 @ 3.60GHz
    16GB RAM
    NVIDIA Quadro K2200 4GB

Is my issue due to the CPU and not the GPU?

4.    #4
    Current Local Time

Im betting so. Spinny wheel is generally not waiting on GPU. I think your machine is just processing the model and view, and your machine is... slower. Xeons = bad call, for Revit.

5.    #5
    Current Local Time

Yep your new CPU is 0.9Ghz slower then the old ones (and even the old one is not a speed demon to be honest).
    You might have more cores, which is great for your video editing, but about 11 to many for Revit (yeah I know some processes use multiple cores, but lets say 8 to many then).

As Aaron suggests, get a i7 or i9 with 4+ Ghz and you will be pretty happy. No idea if you can still return or change that machine, but I would try for sure.

6.    #6
    Current Local Time

For what its worth, I checked another person in our office who is using a laptop with an i7 6820 @ 2.7GHz and it handles the same Revit model just fine. Since it has the same speed CPU as mine, is the difference that its an i7 and mine is a Xeon? Or does that mean there may be something else causing my issues than the CPU speed?

7.    #7
    Current Local Time

Don't think i7 or xeon with the same clockspeed should matter.
    Some other thing that will cause issues is SSD drivers. Not really sure about the details, but I think Aaron does know a lot more on that one.

8.    #8
    Current Local Time

After doing some more digging, I found out the 2.7GHz processor in my machine has a max turbo frequency of 3.7GHz. Also, when I use Revit and pan/zoom around to give me the spinning blue circle the CPU (in task manager) stays pretty flat around 1.2-1.8GHz and 1-5% utilization but the GPU jumps around a lot more, up to 12% or so. So it seems like the GPU is working harder to process the panning and zooming than the CPU. The CPU is nowhere close to maxing out in Revit.

9.    #9
    Current Local Time

The GPU will spike when you are panning and zooming, yes. Thats any software, really. You can get it to do that dragging Folders around, too. lol.

But the spinny wheel happens when you let go of the mouse, from panning and zooming, generally. When its refreshing/regenerating the view. The CPU *WONT* get maxed out in Revit, thats the entire point we are trying to make. Revit- for most tasks- will use a single CPU core. At whatever speed it can get. If your machine is running it at 1.2-1.8Ghz, its going to run like molasses rolling uphill in february frost, with a boat anchor ladden in a cement block, towed behind it.

10.    #10
    Current Local Time

What I find interesting is that your CPU has a base frequency of 2.7Ghz and you mention that it runs at 1.2-1.8Ghz in your task manager. This makes me think that some how the CPU is tuned down (something to do with the power state maybe and set to save power?) or that Xeons do that for some reason? It should be running at that 2.7Ghz at a minimum all the time if you ask me.

I also read stuff about BIOS setting that might do that, Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework or SpeedStep technology if you have a Dell. So, set your BIOS to the default high performance settings and see if that helps?

And just did a little test of what Aaron says. Indeed dragging any random windows (Google Chrome in this case) across my screens will spike my GPU usage to around 22%, so that's not the issue I guess