Thread: after window insertion outer wall brick and inner wall white

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    11:37 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

after window insertion outer wall brick and inner wall white

Hello,
    i have 2 questions:
    -How can i achieve that after window insertion the outer wall from windowstart is brick and the inner wall is a different white material? See Attachment
    - how can i achieve that a windows is outside grey and inside white? I think i have then to do my own window family? Or exist such window families?
    Thanks in advance!
    Einar
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	39898  

2.    #2
    Current Local Time

It is a bit difficult to understand what it is you want exactly.

Assuming you talk about the bit of wall that is cut

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	window cut.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	178.8 KB 
ID:	39899

You will have to make a separate wall for each layer, and not the combined walls Revit lets you make. Then you can paint the surface with 2 materials, one for the inside and one for the outside. But in real life there will most likely be some sort of wood of stucco on the inside that you can give any color you like, so maybe do that in your model as well?

For your window, you can edit the one you have and add a painted material on the surfaces that you can change with a parameter, this way you can have different materials (colors) for each side.
    Last edited by Robin Deurloo; January 6th, 2021 at 11:19 AM.

3.    #3
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Deurloo View Post
    It is a bit difficult to understand what it is you want exactly.

Assuming you talk about the bit of wall that is cut

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	window cut.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	178.8 KB 
ID:	39899

You will have to make a separate wall for each layer, and not the combined walls Revit lets you make. Then you can paint the surface with 2 materials, one for the inside and one for the outside. But in real life there will most likely be some sort of wood of stucco on the inside that you can give any color you like, so maybe do that in your model as well?

For your window, you can edit the one you have and add a painted material on the surfaces that you can change with a parameter, this way you can have different materials (colors) for each side.
    Thanks a lot Robin, i will try your suggestions.
    Yes it is the portion of the wall that you draw in red.
    In real live i can see the brick from the side. So for visualisation i need the same material as for the front so the software will texture it correctly.

4.    #4
    Current Local Time
    02:37 AM

For the wall materials, it sounds like the OP is referring to the "wrapping at inserts", no?

In this case, the wrapping should be set to "both". The wall closure reference plane location will have to be identified in the family itself. Assuming that a compound wall has the layers and associated materials assigned correctly (--sounds like brick on the exterior and GWB on the interior?--) then the materials should wrap as desired.

Regarding the window frame itself, i agree with Robin that you'd likely have a parameterized painted surface if it is single extrusion or sweep. But this really depends on how the family is built......

FWIW, my nail fin window families have parameters for both the exterior as well as the interior finish, in addition to closure for both the interior and exterior wall material wraps. It works well. (Aside: It works well, to a point that is. Since i'm a huge proponent of the multiple exterior wall workflow -- exterior finish wall + interior backup wall -- the wall wrap doesn't work as well as if it was just one compound wall. But that is a tradeoff i'm willing to accept).

Jon