Thread: Reverse Engineering an uploaded family

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    08:51 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Reverse Engineering an uploaded family

Hi Guys,

I wonder if someone is able to help me figure out how the below family was created. You can see the original thread on this forum https://revitforum.org/showthread.ph...on-Issue/page2

User Tim West Posted a family whereby he has nested, then aligned and locked a detail component to 2 perpendicular reference lines with an associated angle parameter to create a rotate ability for the nested detail item.

I have pulled his family apart, and i am able to modify the nested family to adapt to my situation, but i can't for the life of me figure out how to align/lock the way it was done here. If i delete or dissasociate his nested family, then put it back, it aligns and locks fine, however the angle parameter (rotate function) breaks.

This is why i went down the path of modifiying his nested family, so that it retains the rotation ability... but i'd love to know what i'm doing wrong when trying to align and lock my own family to the same reference lines.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

2.    #2
    Current Local Time

I'm not sure if this works on the forum, I'm hoping this tags @Tim West
    Tim, If you get a chance would you mind taking a read here :-)

3.    #3
    Forum Addict
    Current Local Time
    07:51 AM

I did not see the family in question but I have made families that contain nested items and have rotate options on them.

When I do these kind of families I build the reference lines first. In the case of trying to constrain an angle I go to a view (section or plan) where the angle will be executed, and then I draw my construction lines first. In the case of trying to constrain an angle you will need to use a reference line and not a reference plane. Then you will need to constrain it, usually I want to constrain it to a set of vert/horiz reference planes. I can click "align" and then choose the point at the end of the reference line and align it to each reference plane that constrains it individually. I also "lock" the point once it is aligned. Now add your angle dimension and create a parameter using that angle dimension.

Once you are that far test that changing the angle allows this reference line to flex as you would expect it to without it breaking the constraints and detaching from its constraining planes of reference. If it breaks here you need to find out why and fix it or come up with a different way of constraining it.

Once your construction line behaves as you want it to, now it is quite simple to place the nested family and constrain it to your REFERENCE LINE (that you know flexes properly).

4.    #4
    Current Local Time

Hi Karalon,
    Thanks for replying, I am good with all the ref line part and the angle dimension. This all flexes correctly. It is only after placing and align/lock the nested family that the issue occurs. When i flex the angle parameter the nested object loses association to the host ref line.

Heres a copy of the file from the old thread. the top and bottom flex perfectly. If i try to replicate this be deleting the top and putting it back in place i cant get it to flex. Are you able to replicate?
    Attached Files Attached Files

5.    #5
    Current Local Time
    01:51 PM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Notice how there are two angular dimensions labeled "Pitch". One is associated with the reference line in the family and one is associated with the reference plane in the nested detail item. When you replace the nested detail item are you also replacing the angular dimension "Pitch" that is associated with it's internal reference plane?

Rotation is notoriously tricky.

6.    #6
    Current Local Time

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Roffe View Post
    Notice how there are two angular dimensions labeled "Pitch". One is associated with the reference line in the family and one is associated with the reference plane in the nested detail item. When you replace the nested detail item are you also replacing the angular dimension "Pitch" that is associated with it's internal reference plane?

Rotation is notoriously tricky.
    Thank-you Robert!
    That is exactly what i was missing. I had not noticed that there was an angular dimension for both the REF Line and the Nested Family. I have now now been able to re-produce this and adapt to my own family i'm working on. huzzah!

Thanks again for taking a look and helping me out.
    Legend