Thread: Scheduling Line Based & Nested Families by Level

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    05:33 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Scheduling Line Based & Nested Families by Level

I'm trying to schedule some parking spaces and it is not going as hoped. I have a shared parking space nested into a line-based family and neither of them want to report the level they are actually hosed to. If I select the LB family it reports the Work Plane as Level 1, but I can't actually report the Level. Contrasted to a regular GM which reports the level it is placed on correctly. Looks like two issues here- LB families don't report their host level, and nested families in said LB family don't report their level. Is there something I'm missing here?

Thanks

2.    #2
    Current Local Time
    03:33 AM

Line-based have issues. Less fun to place but youll be better off with a non-line-based family though I cant say for certain if the level of the parent gets pushed down to the child.

Also, assuming this is for a parking garage with parking on the ramps, youll likely have challenges getting them to report the level you think they should be on rather than the level Revit says theyre on. In the end I think youre better off manually selecting them and editing another parameter to hold the information.

3.    #3
    Current Local Time
    08:33 PM

Quote Originally Posted by GMcDowellJr View Post
    Line-based have issues. Less fun to place but you’ll be better off with a non-line-based family — though I can’t say for certain if the level of the parent gets pushed down to the child.

Also, assuming this is for a parking garage with parking on the ramps, you’ll likely have challenges getting them to report the level you think they should be on rather than the level Revit says they’re on. In the end I think you’re better off manually selecting them and editing another parameter to hold the information.
    This is what I do for parking too, use a custom parameter to report the levels. Especially handy for multi level basement parking with hundreds of spaces and lots of ramps. Yeah it's manual input but not really that big of a job if you do it in 3D and select a whole bunch at once, and once the value is set it rarely changes.

4.    #4
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by GMcDowellJr View Post
    Line-based have issues. Less fun to place but you’ll be better off with a non-line-based family — though I can’t say for certain if the level of the parent gets pushed down to the child.

Also, assuming this is for a parking garage with parking on the ramps, you’ll likely have challenges getting them to report the level you think they should be on rather than the level Revit says they’re on. In the end I think you’re better off manually selecting them and editing another parameter to hold the information.
    Ugh. Thanks for the info. I really wish LB families worked better than they do

I'll mess around with a non-LB array and see if that helps any as well.

5.    #5
    Current Local Time

A GM with an array does report the nested parking spaces and the level, it just isn't quite as easy to work with as Greg mentioned. To get it to work on the ramp Always Vertical needs to be unchecked; Workplane Based doesn't seem to have an effect on the schedules. Looks like I have an answer.

Thanks again!