Thread: Text Format, in Schedules...

Current Local Time
    06:11 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Text Format, in Schedules...

I am very likely overthinking this. But I'd like to get some input from the knowledge base here..

The first image is how I typically tag my basic construction spec's, in my Building Section drawings (in AutoCad). I'm wanting to set that up in Revit now - as I'm moving most of my work into Revit, from now on..
    I began to create a 'schedule' in Revit, for this purpose. But I'm really disliking the 'formatting' of the 'description text', and I just can't figure out how to fix it. I would prefer my notes to be in 'bullet' style - similar to the AutoCad format. But I cannot seem to change it....any way, any how...!!

Maybe I'm building this incorrectly - as a schedule - and should just create it as a block of text, and use separate symbols, to tag the actual items. Far more basic - but it seems like I'm giving up.
    Can I get opinions on what other ways to build this? Or is there a way I can format that text, inside the schedule??? I've tried everything, that I can think of...
    Is there another style of 'schedule' that gives me more abilities to format the text??

I've looked up several YouTube videos - and have looked around the Internet. No luck, so far..

Lastly - I'm a solo operation. I don't really have to 'fit' into an office standard. How I do things, at any given time, is MY standard...haha. But I like to make things look smart looking, and professional. And I won't be editing the text to this, very often.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spec_01.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	181.8 KB 
ID:	39971Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spec_02.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	220.4 KB 
ID:	39972

Current Local Time
    07:11 PM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Revit Text editing in general is relatively weak.
    And formatting is practically non-existent in Schedules.
    You can to Bulleting in a Text Block, but not in a Schedule
    If you're not going to edit this very often, I wouldn't bother with a Schedule

(Oh, and there is no such thing as a Table in Revit either)

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Revit Text editing in general is relatively weak.
    And formatting is practically non-existent in Schedules.
    You can to Bulleting in a Text Block, but not in a Schedule
    If you're not going to edit this very often, I wouldn't bother with a Schedule

(Oh, and there is no such thing as a Table in Revit either)
    Gotcha. Yeah, I've always known Revit to be a bit 'challenged' with text editing. I've just been a bit successful with setting up a few 'fancy' new ways to diagram info, and such. And was trying to be clever, and show my spec's in a new way.
    I'll dial it back a notch, and keep it simple. haha

Current Local Time

What im curious about, is: What is this "General Spec's" area meant to do?

IMVHO (and again, its just my opinion) these are a bunch of notes that are:

-Too general to be the only notes on these items
    -Call out a lot of "mins" but read as a bit ambiguous
    -Would still require all of the items to be noted elsewhere (again, just MVHO) which means these notes... dont need to be here?

Not trying to open a can of worms, of course. Just curious what the intent is of this small section of notes.

Current Local Time

I'm very much with you...

This section of notes has been 'whittled' down, over the years, to the point where it's now just a "fluff" note.
    There was a time when I put a fair bit more info, and specifications, on Building Section Plans. Far more than the Code, and local 'Governing Body' required. It was the actual spec's of the project. But now a days....the spec's tend to be a much larger package of notes - compiled between the contractor and the client - in a separate document. And that's why you see my little 'weasel' note, under the spec's, saying to refer to the spec doc.

The info I show, is the very basic info that the local 'Governing Body' (City Inspector, or whoever approves the Permits) wants to see on the drawings. Even though it could not be more basic, if you tried.
    I've thought about interlacing a line of two of 'fart jokes' in those text bodies.....just to see if anyone actually reads them anymore.. hahaha

A lot of my projects are for different local contractors. And they all like 'their' plans a little different than the next guy. But most of them have the same basic stuff. Which I copy....from project to project..

Current Local Time

I guess what i mean is: Walls still have to be tagged or noted, as which are 2x4, 2x6, or 2x8. So having a note that says "walls are one of these three things" doesnt really add any value, other than as a "summary" on the front page, i guess.

But back to your original question, i wouldnt bother having this in a Revit Schedule.

Just a blob of a Text note, sitting on a page somewhere. If i showed it at all.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    I guess what i mean is: Walls still have to be tagged or noted, as which are 2x4, 2x6, or 2x8. So having a note that says "walls are one of these three things" doesnt really add any value, other than as a "summary" on the front page, i guess.

But back to your original question, i wouldnt bother having this in a Revit Schedule.

Just a blob of a Text note, sitting on a page somewhere. If i showed it at all.
    Ahh...gotcha!

I suppose it's because in nearly 100% of the situations - all exterior walls (in the frozen North) are 2x6. And interior walls are 2x4. It rarely strays from that. Other than the occasional interior 'mechanical' wall, which I typically label on the actual plan (usually 2x6, but sometimes 2x8). So other than those 1 or 2 different wall types, I do not label all my walls. 99% of the contractors (around here) would see that as a waste of time, and just cluttering up the drawings. So again....it's kind of a 'catch-all' note. Yes....quite redundant.
    If there's specific situations - like a rated wall, or some extra request - I will label that. But otherwise.....rarely is it NOT 2x6 exterior (as noted above), and 2x4 interior.

*EDIT* - I suppose from a certain perspective, these spec's seem very 'wishy-washy'. It's mostly due to the fact that so many contractors (around here) like to deviate from the plans. And although no one can really stop them.....my hope is that they'll always follow the 'minimum' accepted construction practices. Following the Code, and local By-laws, is one thing. But I do know that some of these guys like to slip things through. And if that ever comes back on me.....I can at least point out that I showed the minimum requirement, on the drawings.

Yeah, I simplified the text. I've mostly used Revit for presentation - over the years. But I'm pushing my clients, and business, into the modern era...haha.
    Last edited by Lyle_Kat; January 22nd, 2021 at 06:52 PM.

Current Local Time

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    That all makes sense.

For a number of reasons, i dont ever do UNO situations, so i would still tag all of the walls.

But... You are 100% correct that "most" residential contractors would be super annoyed, with what we would produce, for a set of documents. =)