Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BIM 360 "broken" model link

1.    #1
    Forum Addict
    Current Local Time
    02:00 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

BIM 360 "broken" model link

I have a model in BIM 360 that has the "broken" link icon next to it.
    I have been trying to resolve it for 2 days straight.

I have audited all of the models linked to it, and the model that is "broken" and all audits were successful.
    Then I uploaded ALL of my links, and my "broken" model again.
    I also opened all of my models with the worksets disabled and opened them one by one before uploading again.

All of the links upload without issue
    The broken model stays broken.

When I look at the log file I see this error

Unrecoverable exit code from extractor: -1073742516

The possible causes listed by ADESK are
    Causes:
    Possible causes:
    The file is password protected and it cannot be translated by the viewer.
    The file is corrupted.
    There was a temporary outage.

It is actually none of these as I can still work (and the team can still work) in the model
    But we can not "view" the model and the published sheets in BIM360 (which is actually the entire point of hosting the federated model there for coordination)

It takes me 4 hours to publish the model every time, so I am a bit frustrated with BIM360 right at the moment as I can not resolve this issue.

Has anyone else had this issue, how do you resolve it??

I am at a loss, the ADESK solutions do not seem to work and I can not seem to isolate an error anywhere.

2.    #2
    Forum Addict
    Current Local Time

In looking further into this and the most recent log file I have this error

"jobItemStatus": "EXTRACTION_FAILED"

Causes:
    Possible causes include:
    Model has corrupt data or contains links that are corrupted.
    Model (or linked model) has no 3D Views in the publish set.
    Model is locked in BIM 360 Document Management.
    Model includes complex detailed RVT families.
    Some users have not updated to the latest Revit releases and hotfixes.
    A service degradation or outage has occurred.

I can instantly eliminate points 2, 3, 6 from the list. I would have thought audits would fix or identify at least points 1, and 4.
    That leaves point 5.....(occam's razor)

I am thinking it *might* come from a mismatch in a hotfix. Need to check with team mates. Again, this is problematic as it takes 4 hours to see if it resolves the problem and the model is basically non compos mentis for the entire day after attempting 1 thing on the checklist.
    Last edited by Karalon10; January 27th, 2021 at 12:43 PM.

3.    #3
    Current Local Time
    10:00 PM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I had similar problems with a model not Publishing.
    I filed a Support Request with Autodesk and sent them the model & they told me where the problem(s) lay.
    Turns out it was a family (not ours!) that upon further inspection was a Sketchup Import of some exercise equipment. It was detailed (literally) down to the bolts that held it to the floor. Also the manufacturer's logo was in embossed 3D text. And the bolts were detailed down to the taper on the heads.
    Once I deleted those families, the Publish worked.
    Bottom line, file a Support Request.

4.    #4
    Current Local Time
    10:00 PM

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    I had similar problems with a model not Publishing.
    I filed a Support Request with Autodesk and sent them the model & they told me where the problem(s) lay.
    Turns out it was a family (not ours!) that upon further inspection was a Sketchup Import of some exercise equipment. It was detailed (literally) down to the bolts that held it to the floor. Also the manufacturer's logo was in embossed 3D text. And the bolts were detailed down to the taper on the heads.
    Once I deleted those families, the Publish worked.
    Bottom line, file a Support Request.
    I had one with the jacked up icon just the other day, for a client.

In troubleshooting, the model also had other ailments. The particular model in question had ONE corrupted view, and that view was tripping out over Linked Models and Elements Phase Statuses, from the Linked Files. Its worth mentioning there was NOTHING wrong with the Linked Models OR the phase settings at all, it was just a corrupted view that had the phase filter had wigged out on.

The broken ICON was a symptom (not the problem) and once we isolated the issue with the model, and deleted that view, the icon magically healed itself.

5.    #5
    Current Local Time
    12:00 AM

We've run into this issue quite a bit, and it's almost always a corrupted view somewhere in the model. Are there any workflows for actually locating the corrupted view, other than opening every published view one by one? Or is this something that folks are requesting from Autodesk?

6.    #6
    Current Local Time
    09:00 PM

It's good to know there are complex issues that could cause the broken link icon. We've had it several times, and thus far I've been able to just republish the model and it's resolved the issue.

7.    #7
    Forum Addict
    Current Local Time

So after spending another day yesterday trying to resolve this, the mismatched hotfix was NOT the publish problem
    Although, its probably best all of the team has the hotfix installed anyway so it wasnt a total waste of time but it did not resolve the BIM360 issue.

If it comes down to one corrupt view TwiceRoads, how did you isolate the problematic view?
    If it is literally opening each published view one at a time it is barely manageable right now, but once I have 800 sheets in this model it will be pretty much impossible.

I am hoping there is an "automated" way to check views?

8.    #8
    Forum Addict
    Current Local Time

I might just reiterate also that the model is stil able to be workshared, and opened no problem, it is just viewing the model and the sheets that were published on BIM360 that will not work.

9.    #9
    Current Local Time
    11:00 PM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Hey folks, just wanted to chime in on this thread with some additional insights from Inside the Factory:

• The broken icon indicates that the translation job in our cloud failed. That translator is basically a version of Revit running in the cloud with the UI suppressed. It opens the model + links and then opens each View that's flagged for viewing in Construction Cloud/BIM 360 and then exports to the format that's used for the online viewer. There's some additional steps after that, but those aren't typically the point of failure.
    • When you see the failure, it's typically because the cloud version of Revit failed to:
      • Load the model - Regen triggered by this process uncovers error conditions.
      • Load a given view - Generating the gReps encounters error conditions.
      • Complete the translation job within the 12 hour timeout.
      • There are other cases, but in my experience it's one of the above, which themselves can have numerous causes. In aggregate - we have analytics logging on this - failures are rare.

• Some troubleshooting steps:
      • Biggest factor is the amount of "work" asked of the translation worker. We use super-capable machine instances, but there's still a lot of compute. If you have a publish operation that fails consistently, drop the number of Views flagged for translation and see if it still fails. In most cases, it doesn't, which indicates the point of failure.
      • Audits & such tend to be the go-to task, but in my experience I haven't seen them solve many situation. Can't hurt though.
      • Unload links and try again. Similar to the Views toggling, as the existence of links during View generation can cause a lot of compute effort, and with compute comes the potential for error conditions.

Hope that helps!

-Kyle

10.    #10
    Forum Addict
    Current Local Time

Thanks Kyle.
    Information always helps but in this case did not help resolve the current issue.

I think I have isolated the issue however.
    I also made a support case with Autodesk but at this point it is still WIP with Autodesk.

So we had previously been publishing using RASTER print settings. But we found that views were blurry and out of focus when we zoomed in on sheets. You will see my other post just a few days before this post started asking about blurry views. I did some research, and that combined with info I got here, it seemed that using the VECTOR processing print setting would actually resolve the blurry sheets issue.

So we started publishing the model using VECTOR processing.
    Now this worked probably for a few days so it was not on my list as possible causes.

After pretty much spending a week looking at the Autodesk help checklists, and auditing all files and losing a lot of hair from pulling it all out and much wringing of hands, I opened the support case with Autodesk.

I also mentioned just as an afterthought to my technician maybe to revert to RASTER processing setting and remove all the 3D views from the publish set.
    He did, and lo and behold the model works now.

I have asked him to publish again and leave the RASTER processing on and only add 1 3D view that we need for coordination.
    I will know in about 10 hours if VECTOR processing was the cause of the issue, but I have a feeling that it is the cause as I pretty much isolated it from all other possible causes.

If this is the case, that pretty much sucks because RASTER sheets are blurry when we zoom in on them and additionally we can not select geometry in these views and see properties and see it located in the 3D model, or the other views in the same way that I can if the sheets are done using VECTOR processing. It actually eliminates a very useful set of coordination tools by simply not publishing properly with VECTOR processing settings.

In short, it appears VECTOR processing print setting is the root cause. I will be able to 100% confirm this tomorrow. But my gut is telling me that after having eliminated all other causes this is the issue in my case.