Thread: BIM 360 Users

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    09:29 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

BIM 360 Users

I wanted to reach out and see how others handle departing employees and BIM 360. First, a couple of notes:
    • Our firm is a structural firm, so the majority of our projects are hosted by clients, not MM
    • It is our understanding and current process at MM that Autodesk accounts are personal individual accounts not MM accounts
    • From discussing with Autodesk, there is no way to remove "Frank@MM.com" from all BIM 360 sites given access

Based on the above, really the only method to get past employees removed from BIM360 hosted by others is to email those clients and have them remove the account. However, since we dont have access to the user's account there is no way to know what all they had been added to to ensure full removal and may be difficult to track access to legacy projects that have not been taken down from 360 from years prior.

Again, we have a general process to remove the account from our own BIM360 hub, but hoping for some thoughts on getting people removed from all our various client's hubs. We are curious if their might be a way to do this through SSO, but not sure and that would tie accounts to the firm vs the individual.

Thanks for any input!

2.    #2
    Forum Addict
    Current Local Time
    02:29 PM

From personal experience, I left a company some time ago and my Autodesk account was associated to my work email at that company.
    When I left the IT department deactivated my email address and notified Autodesk and my Autodesk account (associated to that email) was also deleted.
    That means any login across the board for autodesk was also deleted.
    That meant my access to licences was gone, and any of the other login to Adesk (also my gallery etc)

If it is a private email address it will be a different problem.
    Last edited by Karalon10; January 27th, 2021 at 01:20 PM.

3.    #3
    Current Local Time

If people are switching companies they can change the associated email, and that would certainly be my preference as a user to do if I had that option (depends on IT and the the reason the person is leaving), because I'd want to keep access to my posts.

When people leave the company I remove them from our licenses and hub, but we host most projects as the architect. I appreciate it when consultants let me know that someone has left their firm so I can also remove them from our hub - otherwise we wouldn't know.

4.    #4
    Current Local Time
    10:29 PM

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gdoherty0102 View Post
    • Our firm is a structural firm, so the majority of our projects are hosted by clients, not MM
    • It is our understanding and current process at MM that Autodesk accounts are personal individual accounts not MM accounts
    For us since we are under named user licenses, we also use the same corporate email to sign users up with BIM360. If you are adding in engineers to an arch's hub using their personal @gmail.com or @hotmail.com or your good ole Uncle Frank with his @aol.com account, I guess you would never be able to control that.

I do get the issue with having posts under your account with Autodesk Forums tied to your corporate account. I take a good chunk of time (and separate browsers in Brave) to have different Autodesk accounts tied between different browsers. One browser is for work with a corporate account and one browser is for my personal content that is also for my Autodesk Forums. If I leave the company, my forum posts go with me. If I leave the company, the company gets to keep the content that I did while working for that company.

My recommendation would be (if I read the above correctly) is to sign users up for BIM360 with their corporate account. Then when they leave, you can reset their account login with Windows, reset their Autodesk password, and keep everything neat and tidy even though they are no longer with the company.

5.    #5
    Current Local Time
    11:29 PM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmk View Post
    I'd want to keep access to my posts.
    This is why I have a personal account that is not associated with my employer.

6.    #6
    Current Local Time

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kraftwerk View Post
    For us since we are under named user licenses, we also use the same corporate email to sign users up with BIM360. If you are adding in engineers to an arch's hub using their personal @gmail.com or @hotmail.com or your good ole Uncle Frank with his @aol.com account, I guess you would never be able to control that.

I do get the issue with having posts under your account with Autodesk Forums tied to your corporate account. I take a good chunk of time (and separate browsers in Brave) to have different Autodesk accounts tied between different browsers. One browser is for work with a corporate account and one browser is for my personal content that is also for my Autodesk Forums. If I leave the company, my forum posts go with me. If I leave the company, the company gets to keep the content that I did while working for that company.

My recommendation would be (if I read the above correctly) is to sign users up for BIM360 with their corporate account. Then when they leave, you can reset their account login with Windows, reset their Autodesk password, and keep everything neat and tidy even though they are no longer with the company.
    We have user license as well, but Autodesk accounts are really not email tied. For example, I currently have an Autodesk account that is tied to Grant@MartinMartin.com, but can get hired tomorrow by Microsoft and update this same Autodesk account to use my new email of Grant@Microsoft.com. The issue is that it is the account that is added to BIM 360 not the email really, so when I change companies to Microsoft I update my email but all of the BIM 360 hubs would just have everything updated automatically based on my email change. So even though that account is no longer @MM.com that account would still have full access (within license restrictions) to hubs that the account (not email) has been added to.

Me changing my account of Grant@MartinMartin.com to Grant@Microsoft.com also would prevent MM from deleting the account as well, and there isnt really any ability for MM to set my Autodesk password and keep me from changing it.

7.    #7
    Current Local Time
    10:29 PM

Ah, I get what you are saying now.

I just looked in my Autodesk accounts and I could change anything I wanted, such as the email, at any time. I would also think a couple of items would have to be in place for your scenario to come true of complete and utter annihilation. One, you would have to have a user that changed that before they were fired or before they left on their own terms. They would have to know to go to the management portal to do such a thing. I have 33 users and basically have to tell them all how usernames and passwords work. Much less them knowing where to go to change such a thing.

But then, let's say it was a really advanced user. Then, they would also want to have the ill-will after changing their email to then cause destruction to everywhere in the Hubs they are part of on BIM360.

Third, (and I have not tried this) that BIM360 is email based to sign up. If the users change emails (something as simple as a lady changes last name which triggers I.T. to change the email address), usually internally you would set up and alias. But if that same scenario happened here and they change their email to a completely new email, I'm going to GUESS that BIM360 would not work because it is still email address based. But really do not have the answer on that for certain.