Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did I Do Something Wrong?

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    03:49 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Did I Do Something Wrong?

I thought I had my head around choosing the right PC, but after purchasing it, I have had the PC lose power and close randomly. The unit was sent back to Gladiator PC who tested it, put a bigger PSU in it and sent it back only for the same problem to re-occur. I sent it back today for a full refund but wonder if I may, show you the specifications of it and see if any of you can see anything glaringly wrong. I am working on Revit 2020, using BIM360 on a data centre project with numerous construction level models.

CPU:
    AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16 CoreGPU: GeForce Ampere RTX 3090 24GB
    Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz
    Storage Drives: 2TB SATA III Hard Disk and 512GB M.2 NVME SSD
    Motherboard: ASUS ROG X570 F STRIX
    Power Supply: 850W 80+ Gold Fully Modular (this was upgraded to 1000W)
    Operating System: Windows 10 Home
    Water Cooled

2.    #2
    Current Local Time
    11:49 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Beaucoupnice View Post
    I thought I had my head around choosing the right PC, but after purchasing it, I have had the PC lose power and close randomly. The unit was sent back to Gladiator PC who tested it, put a bigger PSU in it and sent it back only for the same problem to re-occur. I sent it back today for a full refund but wonder if I may, show you the specifications of it and see if any of you can see anything glaringly wrong. I am working on Revit 2020, using BIM360 on a data centre project with numerous construction level models.

CPU:
    AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16 CoreGPU: GeForce Ampere RTX 3090 24GB
    Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz
    Storage Drives: 2TB SATA III Hard Disk and 512GB M.2 NVME SSD
    Power Supply: 850W 80+ Gold Fully Modular (this was upgraded to 1000W)
    Operating System: Windows 10 Home
    Water Cooled
    You did nothing wrong, they just do not know how to properly troubleshoot a computer. It was probably fine with the 850watt as long as it was a good quality unit. The 10900k/RTX 3090 build I did stayed at about 680-690watt at the wall when stress testing the CPU and GPU at the same time. A cheap quality gold rated PSU may not have been able to deal with the spikes in power consumption though but at the end of the day, that may not have been the issue and it was their problem to fix. Whatever the problem was.

3.    #3
    Current Local Time

Thanks Remiscs for the reply. I was thinking of 10900K/RTX 3090 for my replacement actually.

Looking at CPUBenchmark's Single thread chart (link), I was wondering if the AMD Ryzen 7 5800X's 10% performance increase when compared to the 10900K is worth considering?

Or is the 10900K the safe bet?

4.    #4
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Beaucoupnice View Post
    Thanks Remiscs for the reply. I was thinking of 10900K/RTX 3090 for my replacement actually.

Looking at CPUBenchmark's Single thread chart (link), I was wondering if the AMD Ryzen 7 5800X's 10% performance increase when compared to the 10900K is worth considering?

Or is the 10900K the safe bet?
    No problem. I have built a few 5800x and 5900x systems now, I would say the 5800x is the better CPU over the 10900k at this moment. That said, both are great CPU and you would be happy with either. For Revit though, I will take all the single core performance you can get and that is what the new AMD have over intel. The 5800x will generally match the 10900k in multicore performance too so I do not see any downsides to AMD at this moment.

Supposedly the next generation Intel CPU coming out in March sometime will take back the single core performance crown but Intel is cutting it back to 8 cores instead of 10 for the flagship CPU.

I really do not have anything bad to say about the new AMD CPU other than they are hard to get right now in the USA but I hear other countries it is not an issue. Hopefully it is ok where you are.

5.    #5
    Current Local Time
    08:49 AM

With a high end workstation like this, going with a power supply that has a better rating makes quite a lot of sense. A Platinum or Titanium rated power supply will be of higher quality and also save you power from the wall.

But if they installed a decent 850W gold unit, it should do the job, but especially with a computer that i used to make income, the Power supply is a very important part.

If the crashes occured with it just randomly turning off, without a blue screen, i would also guess the power supply, but it shutting down during Revit usage is quite odd. Revit does not really use the CPU or GPU to its fullest extend, so they also won't use as much power. If you where doing GPU or CPU rendering the 12V rail could be the issue on the Gold rated unit.

Also it could be the power cables used to power the GPU, power supplies come with PCIE power cables which split into 2 8-pin connectors. But it is always recommended to use 2 seperate cables. But i doubt a computer company would make such a mistake twice.

If it crashes with a blue screen it could also be Memory issues, they could try to install another set of Memory DIMMs, from another brand or something.
    Other than that the system looks fairly solid. I heard that the RTX 3000 GPUs had some driver issues at the start of the release, but i suppose your drivers would be up to date.

Other than that, the only thing i can say is you got unluckly..

6.    #6
    Current Local Time
    08:49 AM

Quote Originally Posted by remiscs View Post
    No problem. I have built a few 5800x and 5900x systems now, I would say the 5800x is the better CPU over the 10900k at this moment. That said, both are great CPU and you would be happy with either. For Revit though, I will take all the single core performance you can get and that is what the new AMD have over intel. The 5800x will generally match the 10900k in multicore performance too so I do not see any downsides to AMD at this moment.

Supposedly the next generation Intel CPU coming out in March sometime will take back the single core performance crown but Intel is cutting it back to 8 cores instead of 10 for the flagship CPU.

I really do not have anything bad to say about the new AMD CPU other than they are hard to get right now in the USA but I hear other countries it is not an issue. Hopefully it is ok where you are.
    Indeed availability of the Ryzen 5000 chips is a bit better where i live. (Netherlands, Europe).
    Everything apart from the 5900X and 5950X is in stock here, prices are of course, Intel-like. Which is a bit of a shame, but i get that AMD wants to start making some big money now they finally passed Intel on everything.

The store i buy most of my tech at has about 880 Ryzen 5 5600X in stock, but for 370 euros, which is very hefty for a 6 core chip.
    The Ryzen 7 5800X is in stock with about 140 units at that store, for 500 euros.

7.    #7
    Current Local Time
    02:49 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Modderhoop View Post
    If it crashes with a blue screen it could also be Memory issues, they could try to install another set of Memory DIMMs, from another brand or something.
    Other than that the system looks fairly solid. I heard that the RTX 3000 GPUs had some driver issues at the start of the release, but i suppose your drivers would be up to date.
    MemTest is an easy way to check the memory. If any errors show up something is wrong.

8.    #8
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Modderhoop View Post
    Indeed availability of the Ryzen 5000 chips is a bit better where i live. (Netherlands, Europe).
    Everything apart from the 5900X and 5950X is in stock here, prices are of course, Intel-like. Which is a bit of a shame, but i get that AMD wants to start making some big money now they finally passed Intel on everything.

The store i buy most of my tech at has about 880 Ryzen 5 5600X in stock, but for 370 euros, which is very hefty for a 6 core chip.
    The Ryzen 7 5800X is in stock with about 140 units at that store, for 500 euros.
    Yeah it is for sure not the case here. Distributors are also drained of inventory. Ingram has something like 8000 units backordered. I am not sure why or if it could have been prevented but it seems like AMD could have done better on allocations. I have a small amount of inventory to buffer the dry spells but it is tough. For example, I only have one 5950x. The distributor that had them I refused to pay their markup, they wanted $1040 USD for it! They also marked up the 5600x to $450, 5800x $550 and 5900x to $725. I HAD to purchase some at that price but was able to get some at retail at another distributor.

It has been frustrating as a small business owner but been able to keep up so far.

Quote Originally Posted by cellophane View Post
    MemTest is an easy way to check the memory. If any errors show up something is wrong.
    It sure sounds like a memory issue, that is where I would start personally.
    Last edited by remiscs; February 2nd, 2021 at 01:34 AM.

9.    #9
    Current Local Time

Well the refund has gone through and the new order is in.

The replacement order has been made. Thank you all for your input.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8 Core
    GPU:
    AMD RX 6800 XT 16GB
    Memory: 64GB Dual Channel HyperX™ FURY DDR4 XMP at 3400MHz
    Storage Drives: 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
    Power Supply: 1000W Power Supply
    Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
    Water Cooled

10.    #10
    Current Local Time
    01:49 AM

Eeesh. I hope you know someone who has worked out all the kinks, and knows what driver versions to use, on the AMD GPU...