Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Splitting a model

1.    #11
    Current Local Time
    10:10 AM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by robp View Post
    just to be clear, there is no model information on these sheets, simply drafting work.
    "just" to be especially clear, the drafting work is in views placed on sheets, yes?

One would hope so.

I'll echo the others here about model file size limits are an utter fallacy.

But I've no issue in model splitting and seperate documentation files.

You do what you gotta do.
    Last edited by snowyweston; February 21st, 2021 at 05:53 PM.

2.    #12
    Current Local Time
    04:10 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by robp View Post
    not really, otherwise the M&E engineers would just issue 1 model that is 4.5Gb in size, the facade guys would do the same and it would just be unworkable in Revit. It's quite common in the UK to ask people to limit sizes on large projects so that other design team members are able to use the models and keep their own running at a decent speed.
    I understand that "it happens a lot," but the bigger issue is that its assumed that its a "fact" that smaller models automatically mean they perform better, which is 100% not true.

BTW, i have a project right now (that i WILL say i consider slightly out of control) that tabs in at (no joke) over 8GB (EDIT: Wrong about this, it is 2GB though). But even in that case, its important to note that "splitting it" is an awful answer. There are things to be done that would drastically reduce file size (getting the warnings under control would be a start, in this particular case), but the fact that its enormous simply doesnt mean anything other than there is a large amount of building with a large amount of objects in it.

The team that built it, btw, doesnt have the level of computer power we have in our office, either. And it still runs fine, despite its heft being due to the fact that it has all sorts of problems and issues.

But more to the point: File sizes in BEP's are a red flag to me, because it tends to indicate the document was written by someone who doesnt have a grasp on how the software really works. Like, carving up a project to stay under XXX file size, can have an enormous cost impact, when seemingly basic workflows then have to be hurdled with file links and other lesser than options. No thank you, for me.
    Last edited by Twiceroadsfool; February 23rd, 2021 at 05:37 PM.

3.    #13
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Deurloo View Post
    No need to get a model with all the nuts and bolts from the facade guys.
    It's not our job to tell the FM guys what information they need for the ongoing maintenance of the job.

4.    #14
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by snowyweston View Post
    "just" to be especially clear, the drafting work is in views placed on sheets, yes?

One would hope so.
    Yes (thank god!!). They are views with no model information (just detail item families) on sheets. They are massively detailed 1:20 and 1:10 facade drawings that you would normally do as manufacture drawings in CAD.

5.    #15
    Current Local Time

So your last two posts raise the bigger issue

Are you / your team modelling high detailed facades, or is another party, that you're incorporating?

I presume this is post stage 3?

The answer is key, because (at least) for me, the inclusion of such a model in your work work, (that is, outputs) over (isolated) coordination views is a conversation you quickly need to be having. One, if its work by others (now) then (imo) you should still be showing your design intent elements, and reffing out - not force fudging work backward in time.

If its your model, then as suggested, you're overdue reigning things back a little - but even "simple" tricks like reducing your draw distances can help with making a lumped model feel more tactile... obviously try those kind of tricks before stripping back excess detail.

But also consider a move to a better coord platform of the facade model is more like a fab. Model coming out of something like solidworks or tekla.

As for the 2D... yeah, again, similarly, this is the cultural question of why are you /your people doing that if its not on your obligations... don't flag it to your uppers as a model size/performance complaint, unless they're model savvy itd be wasted breath - no, flag it as a PI scope creep risk instead (which almost certainly will be) and then see attitudes change if not in time to save this project's sinking mud feeling, but at least hopefully future ones from going the same way.
    Last edited by snowyweston; February 22nd, 2021 at 06:11 PM.

6.    #16
    Current Local Time

Are you / your team modelling high detailed facades, or is another party, that you're incorporating?

I presume this is post stage 3?
    We are and yes it's post stage 3

If its your model, then as suggested, you're overdue reigning things back a little - but even "simple" tricks like reducing your draw distances can help with making a lumped model feel more tactile... obviously try those kind of tricks before stripping back excess detail.
    The model itself is done very well, it's just that 1 member of the team who is more CAD savvy shall we say, has taken it upon himself to do a stack of 1:20, 1:10, 1:5 bay study details using solely detail item families placed in views

As for the 2D... yeah, again, similarly, this is the cultural question of why are you /your people doing that if its not on your obligations... don't flag it to your uppers as a model size/performance complaint, unless they're model savvy itd be wasted breath - no, flag it as a PI scope creep risk instead (which almost certainly will be) and then see attitudes change if not in time to save this project's sinking mud feelomg6, but at least hopefully future ones from going the same way.
    It is our obligation so what he's done isnt wrong (it's actually very good) but he's just done it the wrong way. The directors know about it and have explained to him what he's done wrong and he's aware. BUT it's done now and we arent going to spend the time sorting it out (because we havent got the time), hence me looking for a solution that will allow us to continue working, hit the deadlines (that are coming in thick and fast as always!!) and also comply with the BEP.

7.    #17
    Current Local Time

Don't do so unless there are multiple projects.

8.    #18
    Current Local Time
    11:10 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    I have a project [...] that tabs in at (no joke) over 8GB
    wahaaa! i didn't know it was possible to get a so huge file on Revit!! i thought that it was dangerous to be over 600Mo...
    Phil
    Last edited by philsogood; February 24th, 2021 at 07:07 AM.

9.    #19
    Current Local Time
    04:10 AM

Quote Originally Posted by philsogood View Post
    wahaaa! i didn't it was possible to get a so huge file on Revit!! i thought that it was dangerous to be over 600Mo...
    Phil
    So, i just went and updated my post, because i had it zipped when i tabulated the size, and didnt realize other things were in there too. It's over 2GB (2.2), but not the 8GB i thought it was. Regardless, its only on phase 2 of 5, so it wont surprise me if it eventually gets there. lol.

10.    #20
    Current Local Time
    11:10 AM

thanks Aaron
    i'm sure that the file is a collaborative one and you're storing it on Bim360, am I right?
    Phil