Thread: 1/2 Step Pattern Unwanted Offset on Panel Families at Ends - R.2020

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    05:03 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

1/2 Step Pattern Unwanted Offset on Panel Families at Ends - R.2020

Hi All,

I can't figure out why my 1/2 Step CW pattern makes the end of the panels offset by a random amount from the end of the mass face:

This is the 1/2 step pattern set up as per my panel sizes - all good :
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	210319 OK pattern offset.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	40252

This is my CW pattern panel family - a simple test - 'family4' :

Name:	210319 CW Pattern Family.JPG 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	40253

But when I plug the pattern panel family in I get an un-commanded 51mm offset at the top and bottom:

Name:	210319 unwanted pattern offset.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	40254

If I change the pattern settings, I get the offset ALL the way around . . .

Name:	210319 more unwanted pattern offset.JPG 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	40255

This is the simplest panel family, it was just a join the dots, but all panel families are giving me the same result. The thing to note is that to achieve the pattern I need, I had to rotate it 90-degrees, but rotating it back to 0-degrees still has the same result with an unwanted offset at the sides. The offset just rotates to left/right instead of top/bottom.

Has anyone else experienced this ? Is this a peculiarity I have to workaround or am I doing something wrong ? Thank you all in advance.

Name:	210319 3D.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	40256
    Last edited by kamranmirza; March 19th, 2021 at 05:27 PM.

2.    #2
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by kamranmirza View Post
    . . . I get an un-commanded 51mm offset at the top and bottom . . .
    Well it turns out its not a 51mm offset, it's a 50.8mm offset = 2-inches and this is a long discovered glitch with adaptive pattern panels . . . since at least 2015

Name:	210319 50.8mm Glitch.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	40258

Soo disappointing . . . hmmm

You can find out more about it here:
    https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit...g/td-p/5776883

But still, has anyone encountered this ? Any solution ?
    Last edited by kamranmirza; March 19th, 2021 at 08:37 PM.

3.    #3
    Current Local Time

Unfortunately, there is no solution for this within Revit. This problem has been present since 2009 and I can assure you that Autodesk will never solve this issues. Partly because the overwhelming majority of users requests are features and enhancements like text tools and striped rows in schedules. You will also notice that this section of the forum barely is used compared to other sections. The software is so crippled when it comes to its modelling tools that it automatically weeds out those who want to literally push the envelope, leaving the practical users behind happily discussing issues concerning elevations tags, views on sheet, dimension styles etc..

My advice would be to use Rhino inside Revit as much as possible. At least for all your modelling purposes. It enables you to model pretty much everything in an environment that is extremely users friendly and highly innovative. In your case, you would model the curtain wall in Rhino (grasshopper) and translate the data from Rhino to Revit. Generic model families would be used as panels are they are the only bug free family in Revit's arsenal and it translate perfectly from Rhino to Revit. Rhino inside Revit even has more Revit related nodes to manipulate parameters than in Dynamo. Go figure.

So make your life easier by ditching Revit in the modelling process and start using Rhino inside Revit.

4.    #4
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by robertobatista View Post
    This problem has been present since 2009 and I can assure you that Autodesk will never solve this issues. Partly because the overwhelming majority of users requests are features and enhancements like text tools and striped rows in schedules.
    Thanks so much robertobatista for responding. I understand what you're saying.

You will also notice that this section of the forum barely is used compared to other sections. The software is so crippled when it comes to its modelling tools that it automatically weeds out those who want to literally push the envelope, leaving the practical users behind happily discussing issues concerning elevations tags, views on sheet, dimension styles etc..
    I'm only just teaching myself the conceptual/adaptive tools. I've always thought that these were secret but really powerful tools that no one gets as far as learning, and just end up using Revit for documentation. I'm VERY late to the conceptual/adaptive tools party, and thought that this would solve a lot of the problems with modelling that the normal tools can't cope with.

Unfortunately, there is no solution for this within Revit . . . So make your life easier by ditching Revit in the modelling process and start using Rhino inside Revit.
    I respect what you are saying as you have already travelled along this route. And of course there's the evidence of every major and minor design practice using Rhino to do conceptual and translating to Revit when its time to draw.

For the moment though, I still intend to master these tools first. And like all things Revit, there are work-arounds here too. I'm finding out that people mostly use the 'no-pattern' pattern and make up the pattern as a repeating adaptive panel pattern.
    Last edited by kamranmirza; March 22nd, 2021 at 11:10 AM.

5.    #5
    Current Local Time
    09:03 PM

Sadly Revit adaptive haven't updated since 2010. You bound to get these hiccups.