Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you manage a liberty for one Revit version of many?

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    04:26 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Do you manage a library for one Revit version or many?

Our company is finally getting their act together with regards to BIM. While setting up a better file structure the question came up

• Which Revit version It's the oldest you maintain
    • How many versions to maintain
    • Do you maintain just one version, and let everyone upgrade

My own personal choice would be to create content in, say, Revit 2018, and upgrade as/when content is created to each version available (maintaining 3-4 years of family content). The downside being each version needs to be checked but no interested Revit 2018 upgrades to a new version.

What are the pros/cons of maintaining a multi year library Vs one year and letting everyone upgrade when required?
    Last edited by Jozi; March 24th, 2021 at 08:07 PM.

2.    #2
    Current Local Time
    10:26 PM

I keep 2018+ for us, but its about to be 2019+.

Full lib in 2018
    Full lib in 2019
    Full lib in 2020
    Full lib in 2021
    Full lib (soon to be) in 2022.

Apologies for sounding offensive, but if the library is ONLY in 2018, and people have to "force upgrade" to load a family, thats a crappy implementation.

3.    #3
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    I keep 2018+ for us, but its about to be 2019+.

Full lib in 2018
    Full lib in 2019
    Full lib in 2020
    Full lib in 2021
    Full lib (soon to be) in 2022.

Apologies for sounding offensive, but if the library is ONLY in 2018, and people have to "force upgrade" to load a family, thats a crappy implementation.
    I wholeheartedly agree. I've been asked to research the pros and cons of either way.

Thinking about it, ever time someone loads a new family, there's a risk of a failed upgrade, in addition to every family having to be upgraded.

We have some models that contain libraries, there's a lot to upgrade there and if they are linked into multiple models is an upgrade for every use everyone they open their project

4.    #4
    Current Local Time
    03:26 PM

Think of it as one "small" team spending time managing the libraries, compared to every single Revit user in the company being slowed down and frustrated.
    One way must be way more cost effective then the other

5.    #5
    Current Local Time

We typically (well, except for this year ) upgrade the bulk of the projects in the office in the fall.
    Well before that, we've upgrade the library.
    Each library is saved in a folder by version.
    Any new families are created in the current version, and the old library hangs around, but doesn't get any new stuff.

6.    #6
    Current Local Time
    08:26 PM

Quote Originally Posted by HansLammerts View Post
    A video covering the issues of the workflow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3THqdVCpT9Q
    Really??

For anyone else reading this thread, don't waste your time. This is nothing but a rant on subscription costs and annual releases as they relate to new features and program value. This video has nothing to do with management of content libraries and family versioning. While there may be a time and place for concerns about product value, it is not this thread.

Jon

7.    #7
    Current Local Time
    09:26 PM

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    ... we ... upgrade the library.
    Each library is saved in a folder by version.
    Any new families are created in the current version, and the old library hangs around, but doesn't get any new stuff.
    This is our current strategy for our library files, but we have one finished (constructed) project in 2019 and all new projects will be in 2021 (for now). All new families will be in the current version with those from the previous version upgraded first, then added as the library develops.

This strategy may change over time, but right now I don't have the luxury of time to maintain multiple versions.

The same applies to our template ... updates will occur with the current version until we decide to move on to a newer version of the software.

8.    #8
    Current Local Time
    08:26 PM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I know that many firms might not be able to afford it, or prefer other content management systems for a variety of reasons --- but i gotta say that i am really enjoying using Unifi to host our content. It does a nice job of managing versions. Once uploaded to the system, Unifi will create copies of said content for each subsequent version of Revit. The days of maintaining folders and copies of families is a thing of the past for me.

Jon

9.    #9
    Current Local Time

Ehhhh.

I think its neat that Unifi offers that. I think its a great value add, honestly. But (from what ive heard from clients of ours who have it) the price point doesnt anywhere come near generating a return on that. We have a standalone desktop app that makes all of the versions, once we build the content in the earlier version. Yeah, you still have to move it to the final directory, but its seconds of work (per family) or minutes (for an entire library).

I cant get in to paying over 5 figures for that, personally.

10.    #10
    Current Local Time

Are there plugins or software which can deal with the upgrading of files, incl those which have nested components?

Twiceroadsfool: You mention a desktop app, is this in house or available somewhere?

I have been creating families in 2017, saving copies in a 2018, 2019 and 2020 folder. In the case of our container file I have a dynamo script which loads families from a specific file path. It worked but it wasn't very efficient. I don't remember what I did for nested components, I might have just exported those with PyRevit to a version folder, I might have not even re-loaded nested families from the new version path and just left them.