Thread: NBS Source ( formerly RIBA Product Selector)

Lurker
    Current Local Time
    08:09 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lightbulb NBS Source ( formerly RIBA Product Selector)

Hello,

I work for a manufacturer of industrial safety products such as machine guarding and mezzanine fall protection.

We are considering listing on the NBS Source platform that connects to Revit.

Is this a platform that architects and deisgners find useful to source products and specify them on their projects ?

Any feedback on the NBS Source would be very helpful.

We are an established international company , our products are already used on projects across many sectors.

Many thanks in advance

John Hunter, Axelent Ltd

Current Local Time

Hi John,

I've been using NBS National BIM Library to look for UK supplied products for years now.

I recently got an email from NBS saying that the BIM Library is transitioning to NBS Source. Haven't used it yet.

Update: Just gone online to check and saw that both the NBS National BIM Library and NBS Source are running in parallel at the moment, expect that they'll likely decommission the NBS National BIM Library at some point.

Having just gone on them both to see the difference, the Library would take you directly to the product with a download button for the Revit family, while Source needs another click to get to the 'Digital Object'. Interesting. But I guess Source is a more wholistic catalogue for specs and BIM objects and links to NBS Chorus too.

Anyway, back to your original question, yes we use it a lot to get product BIM models directly into our projects.
    Last edited by kamranmirza; March 31st, 2021 at 12:10 PM.

Current Local Time

I've used the NBS BIM Library for the odd generic fitting since it was created. NBS Source looks like an online product listing with, where available, links to BIM content on the NBS National BIM Library site. I assume that Byggfakta the new owners of NBS will be developing and enhancing the sites.

I must admit that it is not the first source I turn to, preferring to use Google first and the established BIM object listing sites such as bimobject.com et al.

One of the factors on whether I use a BIM object supplied by a manufacturer - and thus specify the product - is the quality of the Revit family - i.e. the model they provide.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by willsud View Post
    One of the factors on whether I use a BIM object supplied by a manufacturer - and thus specify the product - is the quality of the Revit family - i.e. the model they provide.
    ^^^ this.

The problem I've found with most manufacturer's BIM objects is that they are simply too bloated . It's completely understandable from a manufacturer's PoV but from someone who is modelling at LOD 4 at most i dont want an all singing and all dancing family that i can do a rendered image from so in most cases i either "butcher" the family and remove the parameters i wont use or simply create my own.

Current Local Time
    12:09 PM

I use these website. I find a lot of manufacturers parameter are unnecessary complex and can cause some of their file not working with another family. Often their shared parameters cause those errors and I have to physically remove them. As well they tend to bloat the project parameters so you see duplicate information. One wish I have is for manufacturer start categorized their item as LOD 100, 200, 300 so users can pick which level of detail info needed for their project.

BIMStore - https://www.bimstore.co/
    BIMSmith - https://bimsmith.com/
    BIMObject - https://www.bimobject.com/en-us/product?sort=trending

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by scourdx View Post
    One wish I have is for manufacturer start categorized their item as LOD 100, 200, 300 so users can pick which level of detail info needed for their project.
    The problem with that is that some places use LOD100, 200, 300 etc whilst others use 1, 2, 3 etc and they dont tally up ie 1 doesnt equal 100 etc.

Plus with ISO19650 now they've scrapped all of the LOD and replaced it with "Level of Information Need" which isnt defined within the ISO itself!!!

Current Local Time
    02:09 PM

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LOD/LOIN is all a fallacy anyway, as it all hinges on *whos standard or whos definition* you are using, regardless. Not all 300's are created equally. And its all just busywork, IMHO.

I pilfer geometry from Manufacturers Content (well, the manufacturers who model good geometry) and i throw their actual Family File in the trash. The amount of bullshit they all put in those components is staggeringly mind blowing. DELETED.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    LOD/LOIN is all a fallacy anyway
    Level of information need is NEVER an acronym for some reason. In the world of BIM and its acronyms it really is a first!!!

Current Local Time

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    it's thanks to a plain english crusade by the steer group.