Thread: Railing in balcony assembly group acting crazy!

Current Local Time
    04:14 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Railing in balcony assembly group acting crazy!

I have a small balcony assembly on a building that is repeated several times, so I made it a model group. The group consists of a small floor element, some structural framing elements, a couple of un-hosted generic models, couple chairs, and a railing around the edge. The group works fine in most places. But in a couple of locations the railing is shifted halfway back into the building, and in one place the entire railing is completely inside the building! Another one has the railing completely missing altogether. All of these are instances of the same group.

There are no reported issues with the groups, no excluded elements or Fix Groups button. What could be going on here?
    Last edited by PatrickGSR94; April 6th, 2021 at 01:52 AM.

Current Local Time
    07:14 PM

I always avoid railings in groups now because of this.
    Even if i have a stair 20 storeys high i copy them up each level, no groups or multi level stairs.
    May be the dumb (KISS) way to do stairs and railings but we always have "identical" level layouts that change height somewhere up the tower.
    Last edited by elton williams; April 6th, 2021 at 06:47 AM.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by elton williams View Post
    I always avoid railings in groups now because of this.
    Even if i have a stair 20 storeys high i copy them up each level, no groups or multi level stairs.
    May be the dumb (KISS) way to do stairs and railings but we always have "identical" level layouts that change height somewhere up the tower.
    I recently had to do a pair of 61 story stair cases. Varying FTF heights, extremely short runs meaning many additional landings, varying plan locations (including 3 locations where the stair "transferred" to another structural bay in plan), and im very excited to say: Multi-Story stairs are BOSS at this stuff, now. The unpinning and editing auto-assigning to common FTF heights was amazing.

Railings are a bit different, of course. But if you havent played with the MS Stairs, and REALLY tried them... i would.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    I recently had to do a pair of 61 story stair cases. Varying FTF heights, extremely short runs meaning many additional landings, varying plan locations (including 3 locations where the stair "transferred" to another structural bay in plan), and im very excited to say: Multi-Story stairs are BOSS at this stuff, now. The unpinning and editing auto-assigning to common FTF heights was amazing.

Railings are a bit different, of course. But if you havent played with the MS Stairs, and REALLY tried them... i would.
    Hmmm, they frustrated the hell out of me last time i used them but that was a couple of years ago. maybe i just need more practice

Current Local Time

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    If that project wasnt under NDA, i had contemplated working on them live, on Twitch, because i was so excited with how the MS Stairs worked. Alas, i couldnt.

Current Local Time

But this issue wasn't for a stair. It was a floor with a railing element running around it. The railing was hosted to the floor element to make it follow the slight slope of the floor element. And we have at least 20 instances of that group, although all on the same level.

In a couple of places, I excluded the railing from the group instance, then put it back, and its location corrected itself. For the one group that had no railing at all (totally missing, not even excluded), I just had to delete that group instance entirely and create it again. This one was a mirrored instance of the group, but we have other places with mirrored group instances and no issues.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
    But this issue wasn't for a stair. It was a floor with a railing element running around it. The railing was hosted to the floor element to make it follow the slight slope of the floor element. And we have at least 20 instances of that group, although all on the same level.

In a couple of places, I excluded the railing from the group instance, then put it back, and its location corrected itself. For the one group that had no railing at all (totally missing, not even excluded), I just had to delete that group instance entirely and create it again. This one was a mirrored instance of the group, but we have other places with mirrored group instances and no issues.
    Stairs, floors, sloping walls, ramps, topography....railings are hosted elements, and i'm not interested in trying to build them unhosted. They've always caused me issues in groups which is why i said i avoid doing that.

I'd like to hear if anyone else has been consistently successful with railings in groups, but for me it's just not worth the headache.