Thread: Do not show (some) Edges

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    07:02 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Do not show (some) Edges

Any good tricks for hiding the edges of some, but no all modeled elements?
    Our Wall Cabinets have a built-in Soffit family.
    Our QA team doesn't want to see joints between the individual soffits when several Cabinets are adjacent.
    The Soffit has a (yuk) Masking Region and Symbolic Lines that can be turned on & off.
    While we were just doing stick lines in Elevation, this worked fine. But now, more & more teams want to show colored elevations, and the Masking Region hides the material of the Soffit.
    If I get rid of the Masking Region and show the actual geometry, I get a line in between adjacent soffits, which we don't want to see
    So I want to hide the edges of just the ones that are adjacent.
    The Linework tool can accomplish this, but that would mean a LOT of Lineworking
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Soffit Quandry.PNG 
Views:	17 
Size:	15.1 KB 
ID:	40383

2.    #2
    Current Local Time
    06:02 PM

My method for a similar situation (casework toekick) is to have it built in to the family, and an option for "Continuous Toekick". When that is checked, the built-in toekick is turned off, but the case remains a toekick height above the floor. A separate instance of the toekick family is then placed and stretched under all the adjacent casework elements. It does take a little extra management and training, but I built the family specifically to avoid the need to manually hide the dividing lines with the linework tool (which was the standard before, and took a lot of time and continual rework). The built in toekick is used only when there are single placements of base cabinets. I haven't considered doing this for casework soffits, and probably won't because there are several options for what that looks like. Usually we have either a gypsum soffit or a sloped top, which we place manually anyways.

3.    #3
    Current Local Time

A few years ago I produced shop drawings in Revit for a cabinet manufacturer, on a large millwork-heavy project (hospital office/clinic). All the upper cabinets had a sloping top surface, which I modeled as a separate piece above the row of wall cabinets. It was easier to get it to look correct that way, than it was to try to include it in the wall cabinet family.

Also consider how it's built, typically as a single piece along the cabinet run. They don't install a bunch of separate pieces above each cabinet unit. So model it as a separate, continuous piece, just like it will be built.

4.    #4
    Current Local Time

+1 for not having the soffit in the Cabinet.

5.    #5
    Current Local Time
    05:02 PM

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Any good tricks for hiding the edges of some, but no all modeled elements?
    Our Wall Cabinets have a built-in Soffit family.
    Our QA team doesn't want to see joints between the individual soffits when several Cabinets are adjacent.
    The Soffit has a (yuk) Masking Region and Symbolic Lines that can be turned on & off.
    While we were just doing stick lines in Elevation, this worked fine. But now, more & more teams want to show colored elevations, and the Masking Region hides the material of the Soffit.
    If I get rid of the Masking Region and show the actual geometry, I get a line in between adjacent soffits, which we don't want to see
    So I want to hide the edges of just the ones that are adjacent.
    The Linework tool can accomplish this, but that would mean a LOT of Lineworking
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Soffit Quandry.PNG 
Views:	17 
Size:	15.1 KB 
ID:	40383
    Make them shared/nested generic models and join them together in the project.