Thread: Is it possible to create curtain wall with arc top and make the mullions arced?

Current Local Time
    04:30 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exclamation Is it possible to create curtain wall with arc top and make the mullions arced?

Hi everyone!!!
    I tried to create a huge window with arc top by curtain system but when I tried to put mullions on the grid I found out that the top arc mullions attached straight from corner to corner. Is it possible to create curtain wall with arc top and make the mullions follow the curvature of the arc?

MY FIRST THREAD

Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time
    04:30 PM

It should be possible. If you are trying to create a "window" using a curtain wall then sketch one over the "hosting" wall. Make sure that the curtain wall type (Curtain Wall 1 in the stock template) is using the Automatically Embed parameter (check box). When you sketch the wall over the other wall it will cut a hole for it automatically. Select the new wall and adjust it so it's the size you want then click the Edit Profile button. You'll be able to alter the sketch of the wall to use an arc for the top instead. When you finish editing the profile you'll get a new shape that matches. Just apply curtain grids and mullions to wrap it up. It could look something like this. (left image)

It is also possible to cut a host wall using Cut Geometry, pick the host first and then the hosted wall that should cut the host (assuming you don't like the Automatically Embed concept). It works for any wall on a wall. See the second image (on the right). Smaller 4" brick wall is cutting the larger wall to create the niche. The smaller wall(s) are also hosting the windows
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CW Round Top 01.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	4772   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CW Round Top 03.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	4775  
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; November 1st, 2011 at 03:55 PM.

Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time

It is also possible to create something like in the attached image. To make this one I created a rectangle curtain wall first. I copied it to clipboard before editing. Then I used the same Edit Profile approach to alter its shape. After finishing the first one, I used Paste Aligned - Paste to Same Place to put the original curtain wall back on top of the existing one. I select the new one and use Edit Profile again. Repeat until all the pieces are in place. I did this twice, the wall in the image is three curtain walls that share common edges.

Last I put some curtain grids in and applied mullions. Look closely and you'll see some mullions that are not very happy with their situation. To clean this up I'd probable resort to in place modeling and delete the mullions that don't work.

Name:	CW Round Top 02.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	4773  
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; November 1st, 2011 at 03:54 PM.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
    Make sure that the curtain wall type (Curtain Wall 1 in the stock template) is using the Automatically Embed parameter (check box).
    I don't understand "stock template" part with "Curtain Wall 1" type where can I find it? Cause I tried with Simple Curtain wall it didn't work out. There is no option of Embedding

"I am NOT a Revit tutor!"
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by spotless View Post
    I don't understand "stock template" part with "Curtain Wall 1" type where can I find it? Cause I tried with Simple Curtain wall it didn't work out. There is no option of Embedding
    this from RAC 2012 Imperial: C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RAC 2012\Templates\US Imperial\default.rte then Home/Wall and in the Type Properties download there will be a Curtain Wall 1. Select Curtain Wall 1 and hit the Edit Type button and check the box for Automatically Embed.

Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time

Sorry, I failed to notice you are in Armenia when I replied earlier.

In the metric template you'll probaby find just Curtain Wall as one of the three types of curtain walls you can use. The feature (parameter) I'm referring to is the Automatically Embed check box that will cause the curtain wall to cut into a host wall for you (see image). All curtain wall types in the template are the "same", they have the same parameters but each has different features selected in advance. The curtain wall type is the "dumbest", nothing much selected in advance while the Storefront type is the "smartest", it has more features set in advance.

Name:	AutomaticallyEmbed.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	4867  

Current Local Time

wow!!! it was so easy just like 1 2 3
    thank you very much, never thought that curtain wall types have difference in their properties, and I always used to avoid using Storefront one. thanks again