Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Manufacturer Lights, IES Files, Problem

Current Local Time
    10:19 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Manufacturer Lights, IES Files, Problem

We started a rendering with the OOTB Revit lights and the results were pretty good. The project is an existing building with existing lights, so we are attempting to get an idea of what the existing lights would result in and where we need to augment the lighting. The problem is once we installed the manufacturer Revit file an associated IES file, the image has become basically black with red, blue, teal, yellow, and green at the lighting edges. Has anyone else encountered this problem and found a solution? Reference info:

Revit: 2012
    Lighting: Juno MR16 with associated IES file to match
    Lighting 2: RAS CO2 and CO4 with an IES file for the bulbs only (I could not find a matching IES from the fixture manufacturer)

Some additional background, the Juno light is straight from the manufacturers website along with the IES file. The RAS light was from the manufacturer website, but I had to modify the family because when installed into the model, I noticed that the size did not match the specification cut sheet. I left the light bulb the same, but modified the casing of the light (size and revolve) and also modified the fixture itself to match the cut sheet. The other thought I had of what might be going on is I have the model separated by Existing, Demolition and New Construction phasing. There are lights in all three phases. I did try to put them all into New Construction phase and still get the same results. Any ideas?

See attached images for reference. Any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ootb.png   ies.png  

Current Local Time

An update to this - I modified the lights to remove the Photometric Web referencing the IES files and the lights render just fine, but without the proper shape. Something in the referenced IES file is causing the black with red/blue/green/etc edges. Although the light levels are rendering properly, I would still like to get the proper shapes through the IES file. Any suggestions?

"Mark Twain"
    Current Local Time
    06:19 AM

Welcome to the forum!
    My suggestion would be to call the vendor from which you downloaded it (which is that btw?). I don't know anything about IES-files except on how to use them. But putting them together seems like a whole different ballgame...

Current Local Time

Thanks! and thank you for the response. The two manufacturers are Juno and Cooper Lighting. Cooper Lighting did not have an available IES file so I just pulled one from an MR16 bulb manufacturer and applied it to the bulb family. I did a test box with four walls a floor and a ceiling, with nothing else but each light and had the same black with colored edges result. My other thought was that perhaps there was an analysis setting that I do not know about, that is causing the IES file to show the photometrics on the surface it is hitting. Is there a setting to disable some lighting analysis feature that I do not know about?

Current Local Time
    07:19 AM

Theres previously been a problem with IES lights that have been upgraded from a previous version... Could that be the case here too?
    Autodesk - Autodesk Revit Architecture Services & Support - Upgrading IES lights in Revit 2011

Or if they are LED lights, there's a good chance that the IES file is using "absolute" photometrics, which is also known to #%&# up in Revit. If this is the case, and you know a little about IES files, I believe that you can fix it by assigning a "-1" value to disable the "absolute" value, but it'll probably also cause the IES file to be incorrect...?

In either case, Revit is not a great tool for lightning analysis... You should really be looking at something like Maxwell instead.

Current Local Time

Thank you Munkholm - you are correct that when I pulled these lights into the model Revit 2012 did its 'one time upgrade'. So it could be the same as the Autodesk issue (ID: TS14982433) you referenced. Their fix suggested would work if you had another IES file to replace it with, but just for a temporary work-around going into the light family and making the light not photometric web worked to get the lights to render as well. You still get all the correct f/c, light loss factor, etc that the manufacturer entered, but just not the right shape. I will try to get into the IES files and see if I can change the "absolute" setting and post back the result. It is definitely the photometric web / IES file connection that is causing the problem. I wonder if Autodesk is supporting a newer IES format in Revit 2012, that the lighting manufacturers have not yet upgraded to. You raise a good point about whether Revit is the right tool to test lighting. It seems to be the direction Autodesk is trying to take it, with the toolbar dedicated to 'Analysis'. I guess I assumed that Mental Ray was calculating true raytraced reflections and refractions; that our results would be relatively accurate. I have been contemplating purchasing Vray to get (more accurate?) better lighting results. That is a whole other discussion, that may already be on Revit Forum. Thanks again for your response.

Current Local Time
    01:19 AM

rpmarchitecture,

I am the new BIM Solution Manager for Schneider Electric the mother company for Juno lighting. Can you tell me which Revit family you used or what Juno light do you want in Revit?

"Mark Twain"
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by gcandela View Post
    rpmarchitecture,

I am the new BIM Solution Manager for Schneider Electric the mother company for Juno lighting. Can you tell me which Revit family you used or what Juno light do you want in Revit?
    Sweet... welcome to the forum.
    Nice to see you guys taking this so seriously. Since you're here already: where can I find your library? Is it native Revit (no ADSK or 3D dwg)?

Current Local Time
    01:19 AM

Like I said, New BIM Solutions Manager. Schneider Electric has thousands of products. So if I know want you need, I will start with that. Right now Juno Revit Families are imported objects. Not good. I will replace them with native Revit geometry. So give me a Juno model number. Other Schneider Electric products are APC, Square D, Pelco the list goes on and on. Just let me know want you need.

"Mark Twain"
    Current Local Time

Well, to be honest: nothing specific. But always looking for vendor libraries (and aiding with developing some of them) which are decently setup and most important: native Revit elements.
    Looks like you have your work cut out for you! Good luck!